Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

logging out as root freezes system

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
anton_w

logging out as root freezes system

#1 Post by anton_w »

I have debian sarge installed, when i log out as root, and after confirming logout, the screen turns black and the mouse pointer freezes, the only way to recover the system is by turning off the power.:(
this only happens when logging out as root, logging out as a user works without a problem, any ideas on how to overcome this problem would be appreciated. thanks,
anton.

Terje

#2 Post by Terje »

And can't you get into the terminal eighter with ctrl + alt + F1? If you can that one, you can always restart X. It's just a workaround but may help you temporarely till you figure out what is causing it.
Registered Linux user number 391283.

Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity.

anton_w

#3 Post by anton_w »

tried ctrl+alt+f1 without sucess, the system is frozen, although it is not often i log in as root, it would be nice if i could find the cause of this problem, not sure where to start, are there any log files that would help me understand whats happening when i'm logging out as root?.
thanks,
anton.

jsuzuki

similar situation, logging out as root freezes system

#4 Post by jsuzuki »

I'm having this same problem. The system completely freezes. Does not respond to remote commands or local console. The only way out appears to be cycling the power. Looking through the logs reveals no warning.

Probably related, I can no longer launch utilities that require root priv. It will prompt me for a password but nothing happens afterwards. Launching from command line while su works fine.

If any diagnostics from me would help, please let me know.

Bulkley

#5 Post by Bulkley »

When my system freezes, the keyboard, mouse and screen are all useless. I can't even do the ALT-SysRq-S ALT-SysRq-U ALT-SysRq-B trick.

Question: is this more common with XF86 or Xorg? I'm using XF86. Are any of you with freezes using Xorg?