Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

squeeze live images

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
refracta

squeeze live images

#1 Post by refracta »

sshhhhhhhh....its a secret......a secret-y secret......the secret-y-est secret of them all...

some yummy live images and they are squeeze flavored - yummy in my tummy

http://live.debian.net/cdimage/squeeze-builds/

warning - these are alpha images

julian67

Re: squeeze live images

#2 Post by julian67 »

I used unetbootin to make a bootable USB Squeeze Live from the downloaded iso. Seems good to me. Boots very fast and everything works on my desktop. I notice it includes an installer and both installation and live session are offered at boot. There is also a setup.exe so the install can be started from inside Windows (or maybe it's wubi and it can be installed inside Windows, don't know).

edit:correction - 'installation and install' becomes 'installation and live session'
Last edited by julian67 on 2010-04-15 13:49, edited 1 time in total.
Wisdom from my inbox: "do not mock at your pottenocy"

Bulkley

#3 Post by Bulkley »

Thanks, refracta. Yes, they are yummy.

gradinaruvasile

#4 Post by gradinaruvasile »

Interesting... I am looking forward to have an up-to-date live-cd. So that i will not have to use Ubuntu's for troubleshooting...

jheaton5

#5 Post by jheaton5 »

gradinaruvasile wrote:Interesting... I am looking forward to have an up-to-date live-cd. So that i will not have to use Ubuntu's for troubleshooting...
I've never used Ubuntu live cd for trouble shooting. I use Knoppix instead. I really like the tools that come with it. Version 6 comes with lxde which I also like.
debian sid

gradinaruvasile

#6 Post by gradinaruvasile »

I just got used to it. Also it has non-free drivers including wireless. Version 9.04 works OOTB with many wifi cards, but from 9.10 onwards some of them wont work without reboot/messing around.

I tried this cd, it seems good, except the lack of module building tools like build-essential, linux-headers etc. Those would be nice to have - meaning you can install drivers such as nvidia, ati, wireless etc on live run.
Also, installing under windows wouldnt work.

jheaton5

#7 Post by jheaton5 »

I don't use windows.
debian sid

Bulkley

#8 Post by Bulkley »

jheaton5 wrote:I've never used Ubuntu live cd for trouble shooting. I use Knoppix instead. I really like the tools that come with it. Version 6 comes with lxde which I also like.
Several months ago, I used live-helper to build a Debian live-CD with all the tools I need. It works great.

hrsetrdr

#9 Post by hrsetrdr »

Thanks refracta, very yummy. I couldn't believe how fast the installation to hdd was, I was sure that I'd only be getting a base system, I didn't get the usual opportunity to make the environment choices(desktop, laptop, server etc), but upon reboot had grub, gdm and a Gnome desktop.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
(Albert Einstein).

vicshrike

#10 Post by vicshrike »

Very nice indeed. Anyone that has experience with installing squeeze live on eeepc 1000H? Very grateful for feedback!

jheaton5

#11 Post by jheaton5 »

julian67 wrote:I used unetbootin to make a bootable USB Squeeze Live from the downloaded iso. Seems good to me. Boots very fast and everything works on my desktop. I notice it includes an installer and both installation and live session are offered at boot. There is also a setup.exe so the install can be started from inside Windows (or maybe it's wubi and it can be installed inside Windows, don't know).

edit:correction - 'installation and install' becomes 'installation and live session'
I'm jealous. I used unetbootin to install squeeze on a USB and the installer kept looking for a CD drive. Did I select the wrong image? I used the i386/netinst.iso image.

Edited to correct a typo.
debian sid

julian67

#12 Post by julian67 »

I would do it differently for the netinstaller. http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i ... -copy-easy

The Debian process is quick, easy and it works. You only need your netinstall iso, a suitable boot.img.gz, your USB drive and two commands. First you get the boot.img unpacked onto your USB stick and then you unplug the drive, re-attach and mount it and copy the installer iso onto it. Done. This only works for netinstaller as the boot.img extraction creates a 256MB filesystem on the USB drive, so larger iso images won't fit.

jheaton5

#13 Post by jheaton5 »

julian67 wrote:I would do it differently for the netinstaller. http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i ... -copy-easy

The Debian process is quick, easy and it works. You only need your netinstall iso, a suitable boot.img.gz, your USB drive and two commands. First you get the boot.img unpacked onto your USB stick and then you unplug the drive, re-attach and mount it and copy the installer iso onto it. Done. This only works for netinstaller as the boot.img extraction creates a 256MB filesystem on the USB drive, so larger iso images won't fit.
Yes, I found that "How-to"
Down load boot.img.gz

Code: Select all

zcat boot.img.gz > /dev/sdc
cp netinstall.iso /dev/sdc
I tried several times, wouldn't boot. Well, I have Debian 2.6.32 kernel and a mixed system running. But I want a pure fresh install of squeeze. I'll keep trying. Dean put up a link to some interesting new Debian Live images that have an install option. I think I'll try that with unetbootin.

Edit to correct a code error.
debian sid

julian67

#14 Post by julian67 »

jheaton5 wrote:

Code: Select all

zcat boot.img.gz > /dev/sdc
cp netinstall.iso /dev/sdc
I tried several times, wouldn't boot.
Looks like your second command is wrong. The device is /dev/sdc and this is what you use for the initial creation of a partition table and filesystem (all done with the zcat boot.img) but the newly created filesystem on the device will be /dev/sdc1, so after detaching and re-attaching the device and mounting the new filesystem you should find that it is /dev/sdc1, and 'cp netinstall.iso /dev/sdc1' is what you need to do (as user, not root).

jheaton5

#15 Post by jheaton5 »

Thanks. I'll try that. I'm sure the how-to said to use the drive designation and not the partition.
debian sid

julian67

#16 Post by julian67 »

jheaton5 wrote:Thanks. I'll try that. I'm sure the how-to said to use the drive designation and not the partition.
That's for extracting the boot.img. You can't copy a file (the iso image) onto a block device, you copy it onto a filesystem. The referenced howto is slightly ambiguous unless you also read the section following the "easy way" section but in any case files go onto filesystems :wink:

jheaton5

#17 Post by jheaton5 »

Got it. Thanks for your help.
debian sid

vicshrike

#18 Post by vicshrike »

Have tried the squeeze live image on my eeepc. Worked like a charm. Will install, but have decided to use a weekly snapshot, like I did on my desktop. Found some info about squeeze/eeepc in another thread here on the forum.

jheaton5

#19 Post by jheaton5 »

julian67 wrote:I used unetbootin to make a bootable USB Squeeze Live from the downloaded iso. Seems good to me. Boots very fast and everything works on my desktop. I notice it includes an installer and both installation and live session are offered at boot. There is also a setup.exe so the install can be started from inside Windows (or maybe it's wubi and it can be installed inside Windows, don't know).
OK, I did exactly what you did here. When I try to install, the installer looks for a CD and won't go past that step in the installation. Is there something special I have to do to get the installer to just install from the USB drive?
debian sid

julian67

#20 Post by julian67 »

I haven't used the installer from the Squeeze live images, only noted its existence, so sorry but don't know.