Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

squeeze live images

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
jheaton5

Re: squeeze live images

#21 Post by jheaton5 »

I have a useable debian squeeze installation with the installation of knoppix 6.2. I have changed the sources list to the standard us/testing sources and commented out the experimental, unstable, stable and knoppix repos. I have removed the apt preferences in /etc/apt/sources.d. I did a full-upgrade and got a lot of squeeze packages.

I can't figure out why the debian installer (lenny, squeeze and squeeze debian-live) when installed on a USB stick wants to look for the system files on a CD. In the two years that I have been following this forum, I have not read of this happening. I know it has to be user error. If anyone knows of this issue let me know.
debian sid

julian67

#22 Post by julian67 »

When I used a USB based installer (not Squeeze Live but a modified and updated Lenny from http://kmuto.jp/b.cgi which I added to USB using after creating a bootable USB drive using the Debian boot.img method) I noticed that it does search for a CD and finds and uses the iso image on the USB filesystem. I think you can take it that when you see the message about searching for a CD this includes CD images as well as physical CDs.
Wisdom from my inbox: "do not mock at your pottenocy"

jheaton5

#23 Post by jheaton5 »

Yes, I thought about that too and proceeded with the install. However the install aborted every time because it could not find the CD.

What do you think of my knoppix setup described in the previous post? I still have the knoppix custom kernel, which is a variation of 2.6.32.6, but I eliminated the configuration file that prevents the knoppix kernel from being auto removed.
debian sid

jheaton5

#24 Post by jheaton5 »

jheaton5 wrote:Yes, I thought about that too and proceeded with the install. However the install aborted every time because it could not find the CD.
Thinking about what you said above, I wonder if the cd iso actually transferred to the USB.
debian sid

julian67

#25 Post by julian67 »

Perhaps the iso image is corrupted. You can check the md5sum of the copied iso with the md5sum published on the mirror. I've lost track of exactly what you're using and how you're preparing the USB stick but anyway some things to check:

If you're using testing netinstall then use the testing boot.img

Check the errata for whichever version you are using. For example here are the errata for the daily image http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Today

Make sure your USB drive is big enough. Must be 256MB or more.

MD5SUM the downloaded iso, and again when you have copied it onto USB.
Wisdom from my inbox: "do not mock at your pottenocy"

Bro.Tiag

#26 Post by Bro.Tiag »

Maybe I'm expecting too much out of a LiveCD.

[useless background info]
The old Lady has a company Dell Laptop which I can only run LiveCD's on. Nary an issue, but her company just gave the OK to now utilize wifi. So I download a "standard image" (I don't have a dvd co i needed a cd). Running said LiveCD works great (w/ wired), everything I want to /need to add works fine. So I decided to give wifi a try.
[/useless background info]

Well it seems that she has a Broadcom 4322 wireless LAN chipset. I set out trying to enable the Broadcom 4322 driver as per degbianwiki wl. I run into an issue when running

Code: Select all

m-a a-i broadcom-sta
I get an error that it can't find the kernel-headers-2.6.32-trunk-686 and that I need to install them first. When I check there are no kernel-headers-2.6.32-trunk-686 on offer from APT. When I check usr/src I see that kernel-headers-2.6.32-3-686 is installed (as well as that is what is in /boot).

So, my question is, is trying to enable wifi for the broadcom 4322 chipset on a LiveCD an exercise in futility or am I missing something.

Cheers

refracta

#27 Post by refracta »

yea I think the 'trunk' name was a boo boo...and the live images are old now....

maybe just make a copy and rename kernel-headers-2.6.32-3-686 to kernel-headers-2.6.32-trunk-686

Bro.Tiag

#28 Post by Bro.Tiag »

refracta wrote:yea I think the 'trunk' name was a boo boo...and the live images are old now....

maybe just make a copy and rename kernel-headers-2.6.32-3-686 to kernel-headers-2.6.32-trunk-686
Tryed that, no joy. I suppose I could go the whole custom LiveCD route, but I was just playing.

Cheers

gradinaruvasile

#29 Post by gradinaruvasile »

Bro.Tiag wrote:Maybe I'm expecting too much out of a LiveCD.

[useless background info]
The old Lady has a company Dell Laptop which I can only run LiveCD's on. Nary an issue, but her company just gave the OK to now utilize wifi. So I download a "standard image" (I don't have a dvd co i needed a cd). Running said LiveCD works great (w/ wired), everything I want to /need to add works fine. So I decided to give wifi a try.
[/useless background info]

Well it seems that she has a Broadcom 4322 wireless LAN chipset. I set out trying to enable the Broadcom 4322 driver as per degbianwiki wl. I run into an issue when running

m-a a-i broadcom-sta
I get an error that it can't find the kernel-headers-2.6.32-trunk-686 and that I need to install them first. When I check there are no kernel-headers-2.6.32-trunk-686 on offer from APT. When I check usr/src I see that kernel-headers-2.6.32-3-686 is installed (as well as that is what is in /boot).

So, my question is, is trying to enable wifi for the broadcom 4322 chipset on a LiveCD an exercise in futility or am I missing something.

Cheers
Try this:

Edit your /etc/apt/sources.list from the live-cd and edit the first line to:

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing main non-free contrib
Then apt-get update.

After that install the required kernel headers and stuff.
Maybe it will work that way.

Bro.Tiag

#30 Post by Bro.Tiag »

gradinaruvasile wrote: Try this:

Edit your /etc/apt/sources.list from the live-cd and edit the first line to:

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing main non-free contrib
Then apt-get update.

After that install the required kernel headers and stuff.
Maybe it will work that way.
Thanks, I did try your suggestion, but again no joy. I think dean is correct it's the whole "trunk" issue, added to the age of the LiveCD builds as well.

Cheers