Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Google sniffing around

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
mojoman

Google sniffing around

#1 Post by mojoman »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8684110.stm

I'm not surprised. Not sure it's a blunder though.
http://www.debianuserforums.org
By the community. For the community.

nadir

Re: Google sniffing around

#2 Post by nadir »

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Google-Mac- ... -6574.html
found here:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=51310

I don't like google. Not for reasons (- neither good nor bad ones).
I simply don't like it.
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

craigevil

#3 Post by craigevil »

All Hail the Mighty Google!

Wonders why Google is any worse than most ISPs that keep all user data for years, including VOIP conversations.

There isn't now nor has there ever been any privacy on the internet. If you want privacy move to a cave and do not have anything to do with civilization.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

nadir

#4 Post by nadir »

If you want privacy move to a cave and do not have anything to do with civilization.
What a nonsense. "Love it or leave it" sounds familiar? The 50's are back, huh?

Raffles10

#5 Post by Raffles10 »

People using unsecured wifi should realize that anyone can intercept their data, someone was bound to take advantage of it, not surprised it was google. :lol:

Governments have probably been doing this for even longer.
Debian Squeeze + KDE 4.4.4 + AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000 + nVidia GeForce 8600

BioTube

#6 Post by BioTube »

Actually it's probably best Google was doing this and not the government - the former's only interested in hitting you with more effective ads.
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.

milomak

#7 Post by milomak »

i'm amazed at the paranoia people have against google and facebook.

if you fear government, it's probably too late as they probably have all the importnant information through tax laws.
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

nadir

#8 Post by nadir »

So: BBC says it, the government says it and Google itself says it too.

Sure, sure: all the three of them are well known for being constantly paranoid.

milomak

#9 Post by milomak »

nadir wrote:So: BBC says it, the government says it and Google itself says it too.

Sure, sure: all the three of them are well known for being constantly paranoid.
i have no idea what you are trying to say
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus

ComputerBob

#10 Post by ComputerBob »

milomak wrote:i'm amazed at the paranoia people have against google and facebook.
Just as I am amazed at the lack of concern that some people have about their privacy.
ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic (TM)
ComputerBob.com - Nearly 6,000 Posts and 23 Million Views
My Massive Stroke
Help! (off-topic)

nadir

#11 Post by nadir »

i have no idea what you are trying to say
The OP gave a link to an article by BBC.
In the article it is said that:
"Google has admitted that for the past three years it has wrongly collected information people have sent over unencrypted wi-fi networks."
In the link i gave it is said that:
"German officials have discovered that the automobiles are not only scanning consumer-based networks ..."

You said people would be paranoid when it comes to google.
I said that in that case the three of them (Google, BBC and the government) must be paranoid too, cause they confirm what the paranoid ones do say.

Was not that hard to understand.

MALsPa

#12 Post by MALsPa »

ComputerBob wrote:
milomak wrote:i'm amazed at the paranoia people have against google and facebook.
Just as I am amazed at the lack of concern that some people have about their privacy.

Anymore, I can't say that I'm amazed either by the paranoia or by the lack of concern. Often, just amused by both.

milomak

#13 Post by milomak »

when it comes to facebook and google, i guess i just know that the information i provide is not anything i have issue with being in the public domain.

i guess for me the adage of not placing anything i don't want anyone to see applies. so what is on google, facebook or other has passed through my censorship standards. so if they have that info, good for them.

as an aside, do all the people who are paranoid in this thread not use gmail. for the record i don't for some 3 years.

edit: do you guys feel your ISP/email provider has better contractual terms than google?

nadir

#14 Post by nadir »

You are using the wrong word: One would be paranoid if they would not do it. Else it's not paranoia.

Of course nothing of what i do is of any importance: so who ever has got that info can't do much with it. That's not the point.

Yes, i got a gmail account. I needed it for google-docs. Besides that i don't use it.
do you guys feel your ISP/email provider has better contractual terms than google?
No. And as far i can see no one has said so. I may easily avoid Google. I can't avoid an ISP. I could avoid an email provider.

#### ### ### ###
@MALsPa: At minimum being paranoid is a bit more of fun and the drugs are better than being buried alive.

milomak

#15 Post by milomak »

as a general question (not aimed at you), why do people not make the same noises against "regular" ISPs if they do not have vastly different terms?

nadir

#16 Post by nadir »

milomak wrote:as a general question (not aimed at you), why do people not make the same noises against "regular" ISPs if they do not have vastly different terms?
Short ago the laws in germany have been changed. ISP's are supposed to store data for half a year - of everyone.
There was quite an amount of noise against it. (The same laws are valid for europe/EU, if i am correct).

To be honest: I for one can't hear much noise against Google

Google is very present. Thats all about it. I guess. I install linux: it is there. I install firefox in windows: it is there. I go to the library: its the start-page. I hear the people talking: " i googled this and that". And so on.
Thats the thing i don't like about it. The lack of choice. Pushiness.
And a bit more, but not -mainly- the security/privacy stuff (more the style: young, cool, happy: colored. part of it.)

Yep: you didn't ask me. I answered anyway.

MALsPa

#17 Post by MALsPa »

nadir wrote:@MALsPa: At minimum being paranoid is a bit more of fun and the drugs are better than being buried alive.
:lol:

dzz

#18 Post by dzz »

Is not paranoia fear of that which does not exist and a mental illness?

Data collection in the manner described here is actually happening. Do people really believe google have simply "made a mistake" and the purpose is restricted to just serving ads? The potential for serious abuse is obvious, such activities MUST be publicised and challenged.

ComputerBob

#19 Post by ComputerBob »

milomak wrote:as a general question (not aimed at you), why do people not make the same noises against "regular" ISPs if they do not have vastly different terms?
For me, there are several reasons, including the fact that my ISP's business plan is not based on it collecting as much of my private data as possible and then exploting that private data to make a profit.

In response to those who characterize the more-careful among us by using the derogatory term, "paranoid," how would you like it if we started characterizing you by using the derogatory term, "careless?"

The fact is that we are not paranoid. And you are probably not careless. We simply have different privacy standards and different levels of risk tolerance. So let's all show a little respect for differences of opinion.
ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic (TM)
ComputerBob.com - Nearly 6,000 Posts and 23 Million Views
My Massive Stroke
Help! (off-topic)

MALsPa

#20 Post by MALsPa »

Sometimes I really am too paranoid. Sometimes, I'm too careless. I guess both "paranoid" and "careless" can be derogatory terms. So I guess my feelings should be hurt. :lol:

They aren't.
dzz wrote:Data collection in the manner described here is actually happening. Do people really believe google have simply "made a mistake" and the purpose is restricted to just serving ads? The potential for serious abuse is obvious, such activities MUST be publicised and challenged.
Yeah, I agree, it has to be watched.

And folks need to be careful about what they put online, because no matter how much you might wish for something called "internet privacy," well...

"If you wouldn't put it on the front page of the local newspaper, don't put it online" is still a good rule of thumb.