Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Black Screen

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Axolotl9250

Black Screen

#1 Post by Axolotl9250 »

Hi there, I have a problem after installing Debian and running it on my machine. Instead of taking me to a splash login screen, it instead remains a black screen like a console where I type in my username and password, and it remains in this black command line mode beginning ben@ben-desktop:~$. Like it does in a terminal. What can I do to resolve this? This is completely new to me and hasn't happened to me in Ubuntu or Mint. I am familiar with using the terminal for the odd task but obviously I can't use it like this without a visible desktop. Cheers.

alpha-dog

Re: Black Screen

#2 Post by alpha-dog »

you could give the sgfxi script a chance to install your display. I've used it to fix that problem before. Go to "http://smxi.org/" to find out how.
Good for newbies

refracta

#3 Post by refracta »

install xorg, your favorite desktop, and a login manager

craigevil

#4 Post by craigevil »

Did you choose to install a desktop?

When you boot do you get any messages about xorg not being properly configured?

Take a look at dmesg. And post your video card info from the lspci -nn command.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

Axolotl9250

#5 Post by Axolotl9250 »

I'm not sure how to download things without the internet, it was a pure cd-install and I was hoping to, once installed find the right way to get my wireless to work, I've tried making more CDs and re-starting the install of the operating system but now it won't even go to boot from CD to do an install.

Axolotl9250

#6 Post by Axolotl9250 »

I've just tried to send the whole thing back to windows but its still not accepting cds, so I can't easily reformat the hard drive, I'm stuck with a command line and any action I try to do is void because it keeps blocking me for not being on the sudoers list.

refracta

#7 Post by refracta »

what happens when you use the command startx as a user

oh and stop using sudo, this isn't your mommas ubuntu...

su
(enter root password)

Axolotl9250

#8 Post by Axolotl9250 »

Ok su not sudo - gottit. Ok when I use startx I get a screen that is a sort of grey with a cross for my cursor, and if I hold down the mouse button a little menu appears with the Options: - Debian, Show Icon Manager, Hide Icon Manager, and Exit.

nadir

#9 Post by nadir »

Axolotl9250 wrote:Ok su not sudo - gottit. Ok when I use startx I get a screen that is a sort of grey with a cross for my cursor, and if I hold down the mouse button a little menu appears with the Options: - Debian, Show Icon Manager, Hide Icon Manager, and Exit.
Sounds pretty much like the tiny window-manager called twm (it came per default with lenny, but now no more :cry: )

Install the environment you like:
su
and then one of the following:
apt-get install kde (?)
apt-get install xfce4
apt-get install gnome (gnome-desktop-environment ?)
apt-get install gnome-core
and what else is out there. I for one would go for xfce4 or gnome-core...

First of all you might try:
ls /usr/bin | grep session
ls /usr/bin | grep start

PS: btw. sudo:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=45390
but su sure is a good choice.
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

Axolotl9250

#10 Post by Axolotl9250 »

Ok, tried

Code: Select all

su
apt-get install gnome-core
It told me to insert CD-1 and press enter, I did, and now it wont detect the disks-ive made 7 disk1's to see if at least ONE will work and none of them had. Is there a way around this - or a way I can just erase the entire hard-disk and start again?

nadir

#11 Post by nadir »

Sounds odd...
anyway:
Sure you can start over. Reboot with the install-CD in place, choose
-> "complete disk"
choose
-> " all in one partition" or -> "seperate /home partition" or -> "all kind of separate partitions"
and thats it. The installer will take care of the rest.
Short Version: Just reboot with the install-CD in place.

Make sure to select [*] desktop-environment when it comes to taskel (software selection). Double-check. If it doesn't work again something is wrong.

Axolotl9250

#12 Post by Axolotl9250 »

I can't do that with the CD because it keeps telling me there's nothing there

nadir

#13 Post by nadir »

If you can't burn a CD which gets booted and/or mounted and if you can't set up network you will have to give up on Debian ... or you might try stuff like unebootin.
I for one would re-install either Ubuntu or Mint and be done with the problem (in case you still got those CDs anyway).Or try some of the Debian-based distros: Crunchbang and such (antix and add an environment, Mepis, sidux)

Axolotl9250

#14 Post by Axolotl9250 »

Ok I'm giving unebootin a go, but when I boot up my computer now it won't give me the BIOS, Ive tried F1,2,4,6,10, and 12 ESC and backspace and none of those are working. Is there a way to get the usb going inside Debian? (answers probably yes but I don't know it).

bluesdog

#15 Post by bluesdog »

Axolotl9250 wrote:Ok I'm giving unebootin a go, but when I boot up my computer now it won't give me the BIOS, Ive tried F1,2,4,6,10, and 12 ESC and backspace and none of those are working. Is there a way to get the usb going inside Debian? (answers probably yes but I don't know it).
Some BIOS require the <del> key to be pressed in order to invoke the BIOS setup.

If your computer's CD device is exhibiting weird behavior, it could indicate a failing CD drive. I've encountered systems with failing CD drives, and they were impossible to work with until the CD unit was replaced or at least deactivated/bypassed.

Make sure all your hardware is operating normally before continuing. No OS will work properly unless the hardware is working correctly.

goodluck

Axolotl9250

#16 Post by Axolotl9250 »

Ok Cheers, I'm going to try and get the hard drive wiped and set up with a different OS once I can plug in as a slave in my friends Windows 7 tower and do a reformat. Then I'll try XP (the one it came with) and see if it is the hardware failing - it is old.