Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Ok OK

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
sossego

Ok OK

#1 Post by sossego »

Now can I have my account deleted?
There's reason enough to have me banned, so do it.
Thank you.
I can be the evil bastard everyone will hate.
Lots of love.
Let my desire and hope surpass my expectations;
And give me the strength to persevere through doubt.
Grant me the wisdom to exceed my bounds.
Let my eyes always see through the dream fog of childhood,
so that every moment may be treasured.

Absent Minded

Re: Ok OK

#2 Post by Absent Minded »

A) If you really want this you need to ask an Administrator as a mod can only ban you. To ban you there needs to be a valid reason to do so.

B) Everyone has their bad days. This must have been yours. No biggie.

C) I am a bit supprised that there is not a way a user can terminate their own account but you can try changing the two fields marked with an astrict in your profile (under the "Edit Profile" tab) and it "might" deactivate your account, I am not sure.

AM
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

nadir

#3 Post by nadir »

there needs to be a valid reason to do so.
sossego:
There always is hope (as long a Schopenhauerian is around. Spell it like this: shoh-puhn-hou-er-ian... Murdock?... argh... confusion):
Post one of my PM's in public, perhaps add some exposing stuff about my huge dingdong, and that should be a sufficient reason to get you banned. I won't be hurt by it, but will make a big trouble about it: how mean you are....just cause i am such a nice guy.
everyone should be happy (and, best of all, no one will be hurt).

PS: this post of mine was a joke, was it?
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

Absent Minded

#4 Post by Absent Minded »

If you have something to say to/about me why encode it? I haven't banned anyone for having an "opinion" or even flipping me some flack.

I will note this however, posting messages (or parts of their contence) sent in private conversations between a staff member and a user has resulted in at least a temperary ban on ones account and the removal of the entire thread it was attached to, in the past. So, if it were me, I would weigh this before doing so.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

nadir

#5 Post by nadir »

Nah, i ain't got nothing encoded.
I tried to tell him a way out of his misery.
You say it would only work with a staff-member? In that case i can't be of help.
I for one would simply stop posting.

PS: I was thinking of the same case like you. That was the only time that i have seen it happen. I didn't think of anything else.

julian67

#6 Post by julian67 »

nadir wrote:perhaps add some exposing stuff about my huge dingdong
I heard it was you that put the cock in cocktail stick. Does this help any?
Wisdom from my inbox: "do not mock at your pottenocy"

Absent Minded

#7 Post by Absent Minded »

nadir wrote:Nah, i ain't got nothing encoded.
I tried to tell him a way out of his misery.
You say it would only work with a staff-member? In that case i can't be of help.
I for one would simply stop posting.

PS: I was thinking of the same case like you. That was the only time that i have seen it happen. I didn't think of anything else.
Maybe I miss-took something or assumed too much.

As for Wikipedia, they don't seem to say if one refering to another as (Dr./Proffessor/?) Schopenhauerian would be a positive thing or not, as how well his views on things are accepted is not present in the artical. So, to me, yes, it is encoded as I don't have the knowledge of your culture to base an assumption on.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

AdrianTM

#8 Post by AdrianTM »

Now can I have my account deleted?
How about not logging in and going away, is that not sufficient for you? Or is the allure of the forum too strong and you can't go away by your own will... :mrgreen:
Ubuntu hate is a mental derangement.

nadir

#9 Post by nadir »

@Absent:
Yes, miss-token. But i can see the "relation". More or less my fault ( But i liked the joke and didn't think enough). I am really sorry for that misunderstanding.
Schopenhauer is here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schopenhauer
The very short version is: Don't suffer from this world, it ain't worth it and will pass by soon enough.
An advice by a someone following Schopenhauer is to be taken with care (that was the mild version).
My actual sig is by him, but i for one am not able to translate it. Perhaps dbbolton may give us a hand.

I tried the cocktail-stick. Not bad...

refracta

#10 Post by refracta »

AdrianTM wrote: How about not logging in and going away, is that not sufficient for you?
It seems to me that any site that requires you to create an account to participate would provide the means to close/remove/disable that account should you decide you no longer wish to do so. Only seems fair...

debil

#11 Post by debil »

nadir wrote:My actual sig is by him, but i for one am not able to translate it.
Google did well enough for me to grasp it. I like it. "Studies in Pessimism" was one of my favorites as a pissed off adolescent.
Q: Why is the Eunux kernel so bloated?
A: It was made in the image of its founder.

Absent Minded

#12 Post by Absent Minded »

Nadir,
Thank you for the clarification. It is appriciated.

AdrianTM,
Although it is often difficult to discern ones tone(?) when having to read something certian phrases (or parts there of) can be distiguished as one being objectionable to something. To that end, are you infering that sossego is not welcome here? (the question it's self being a bit of a rhetorical one, so no need to answer) If so, I have this to say: This forum is open to everyone who has interest in Debian until such time as they cannot/will not fallow our guidelines to a reasonable degree.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

Absent Minded

#13 Post by Absent Minded »

refracta wrote:It seems to me that any site that requires you to create an account to participate would provide the means to close/remove/disable that account should you decide you no longer wish to do so. Only seems fair...
I agree, there should be some means for one to disable their own account. I however cannot find anything that allows one to accomplish this. Unless it can be done by the method I mentioned in my first post here. It definantly is not an obvious or in my opinion a good method (if it even would work). I am (as just a mod) incapable of just disabling or delteting an account. Although banning is possible for me to do, it also requires that I can show a valid cause/reason for it. I don't feel that I have legitament cause as there has been no real abuse of this forum.

I will note however that spammers are banned without any discussion in the ranks at present. Note, I am not however suggesting or recomending that one become a spammer just to have their account banned/disabled/deleted.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

JohnDeere630

#14 Post by JohnDeere630 »

Holy tempest in a tea-cup, Batman! Sossego will feel better in a couple of days, & go on posting as before. My heart goes out to anyone struggling to cope with any kind of chronic condition & mental illnesses must be the worst to bear, since there is nothing physically obvious wrong. Maybe when he has a bad day & posts something like this thread, folks here can just give the guy some space. Its not like he is hurting/attacking anyone.

refracta

#15 Post by refracta »

.....ol sausago is always welcome round my campfire

we can swap hospital stories....I got a couple that bring tears to the eyes....not sorry sad tears but OMG NO WAY tears

jheaton5

#16 Post by jheaton5 »

I should be banned for butting in, but I can't help it...

IMO it is not an issue of Sossego being unwelcome. Sossego requested that he be banned or his account removed. Adrian merely suggested that if he wanted to divorce us all he had to do was leave and not come back
debian sid

Absent Minded

#17 Post by Absent Minded »

Just leaving will not stop one from still recieving messages from the forum. Although it is possible for one to unsubscribe from all threads they are subscribed to, this can be a tedious prosses. One can then change their personal settings to stop PM notices from being sent. I am not sure however it that includes messages sent by the staff. It seems there is yet another setting for that in ones profile. Still, any mass e-mail sent by the forum to it's members would still be sent regardless of these settings (I believe). In short, the easiest way to stop everything would be to have the account disabled or deleted.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

refracta

#18 Post by refracta »

jheaton5 wrote:... all he had to do was leave and not come back
similar to leaving an abusive spouse....very similar actually....it just aint that easy

or maybe the forum is the abusive spouse that you love and keep taking back although you wish you could leave for good...

jheaton5

#19 Post by jheaton5 »

refracta wrote:
jheaton5 wrote:... all he had to do was leave and not come back
similar to leaving an abusive spouse....very similar actually....it just aint that easy

or maybe the forum is the abusive spouse that you love and keep taking back although you wish you could leave for good...
Dean, are you a closet marriage counselor? That was very perceptive of you. Who said geeks have no feelings?
debian sid

AdrianTM

#20 Post by AdrianTM »

One could easily filter out the e-mail notifications from the forum. I still don't get the point of asking to be banned, as I said, if you want to stop using the forum then... guess what.... don't use it, no need to ask moderators to ban you, that looks just like theater to me.

Oh, on another forum I know, mods have this "we aim to please" motto and a request to be banned is immediately enforced. I see this forum turning wishy-feely like the Ubuntu forum, probably too many Ubuntu rejects have become moderators here. 8)
Ubuntu hate is a mental derangement.