Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Ok OK

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.

MALsPa

Re: Ok OK

#42 Post by MALsPa »

How beautiful. Romance is in the air.

jheaton5

#43 Post by jheaton5 »

@Soul Singin': You may be right, but it's a bit far fetched. I wouldn't take it as a joke if it were said about me, but then it would only be a statement of fact.
debian sid

julian67

#44 Post by julian67 »

It absolutely definitely was not a joke, except maybe in a parallel universe. It wasn't much more than a distillation of earlier posts and style, but this time without inhibition.
Wisdom from my inbox: "do not mock at your pottenocy"

Absent Minded

#45 Post by Absent Minded »

For those who might be interested, it has been pointed out to me that this kind of thing is strictly prohibited in our use policy that we agree to when we sign up to use the forum. I would post the relavent registration page link but it seems to just redirect an already authorised user to the main index page of the forum but here is the quote from it offered to me:
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate any laws be it of your country, the country where “Debian User Forums” is hosted or International Law. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned, with notification of your Internet Service Provider if deemed required by us.
It would seem that our forum guidelines makes less of an issue of this than what we agree to when we sign-up.

As I failed to remember just how direct and strictly this was stated, I am guessing there may be others that don't readily remember the details of what we agreed to as well. Anyway, I will see what I can do about making this document available on the forum for others like me who can't quite remember this kind of thing in detail.

@Soul Singin':
Given the recent history between myself and AdrianTM there is no way I could possibly have taken what was stated by AdrianTM in any other way than a (very) personal attack.

As I feel that my charictor maybe questioned as a result of me being the one to take an administrative action in this case. I would like to say, had this incident occured between two other users with simular histories, I would have still taken the action that I took in this case. I however can only offer you my history here as evidence of my integrity in this situation.
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

Soul Singin'

#46 Post by Soul Singin' »

Absent Minded wrote:@Soul Singin':
Given the recent history between myself and AdrianTM there is no way I could possibly have taken what was stated by AdrianTM in any other way than a (very) personal attack.
I don't frequent this board as often as I used to, so I missed the history that you and Julian referred to. For that reason, I was very surprised when I saw what Adrian wrote, so I was (and still am) hopeful that this is all a giant misunderstanding.

Or maybe I'm naive? I hate to think that someone would intentionally insult another like that.

Regards,
- Soul Singin'

Absent Minded

#47 Post by Absent Minded »

I wish I could chalk this up to "a giant misunderstanding" as well. This however is not the first time that he has said things nearly idenical to this statment to/about me publicly in the forum.

On his behalf, I must tell you that the first time he laid into me like this I feel that I did provoke the situation. Thus, I made a public and blatent apology for saying what I did almost immediately afterwords (in the same thread).

Not at any time did AdrianTM publicly withdraw his multi-facited personal attack, apologize for any of it or act in any manner that might suggest any remorse over it. In fact, he didn't even acknowledge my original apology and retraction of what I said.

About a week later, maybe 2, I felt that I needed to make an apology to a couple others as well, so I created a thread in off-topic making an all-inclusive public apology and briefly gave an explanation. To this I did get a responce but at it was a PM and not a forum post I won't go into things. Anyway, I "thought" after that things would be okay again. However, again, I did something really stupid and said something that he took as personal and so he ranted on over it, with a nice slew of remarks regarding me personaly. Realizing I had once again hit his hot button but not thinking it had been a horrible offence, I simply stated that I was wrong in my next post. During which time he lambasted me with more of the same kind of thing you saw in this thread. Mind you, I took no administrative action on either account as I felt myself partly to blame for his reaction. Not that I believe that I deserved the full extent of what he stated though. Still, I could understand him being upset and took what lumps were given. After that it seemed he took any oppertunity he could to through pot-shots at me with out being out-right blatent personal attacs.

Granted, something should have been done to address the situation before it ended like it has in this thread but since I had felt partly responcible I did not feel that it would be approperate for me to handle the situation in an administrative way. So, I did nothing, others did nothing and here we are with the result.

@sossego
I apologize for seemingly hijacking your thread. It has not been my intention. I am just unsure of where to address things related to this as it culminated here.
AM
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

sossego

#48 Post by sossego »

No need to apologize, you've done nothing wrong.
Let my desire and hope surpass my expectations;
And give me the strength to persevere through doubt.
Grant me the wisdom to exceed my bounds.
Let my eyes always see through the dream fog of childhood,
so that every moment may be treasured.

Absent Minded

#49 Post by Absent Minded »

Thank you for your understanding sossego.

I stated in a previous post that I would see what I could do about making our use agreement availible on the forum. There doesn't seem to be a way I can link to it that will show the actual page if you are already logged in so instead I copied the text from it and made a post in the Beginners sub-forum to be used as a referance.
Here is a link to that post:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 66&start=0

If you would like to read the actual agreement page, sign out and then click on the "Register" link at the top of the page. The agreement is the first thing shown. When you are done reading it you can click on the "Login" link at the top of the page and you are back to the forum after putting in your info and clicking to login.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

nadir

#50 Post by nadir »

Replace that:
You agree not to post .... any other material that may violate any laws be it of your country, the country where “Debian User Forums” is hosted or International Law.
by that:
You agree not to post .... any other material that may violate any laws of the country where “Debian User Forums” is hosted .
some hints from geotool:
driving without helmet is allowed there
you don't need no rubber
but sure a cigarette afterwards
The both of them finally did find it but still have to ask:
Howdohyohcall a Quarter???

To sum it up: its quite liberal.

----------------------------------------
Did i agree with the agreement or is it something new? I can't remember, but if someone tells me to sign i just sign...without much thinking.
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

edbarx

#51 Post by edbarx »

Quote:
As a user you agree to any information you have entered to being stored in a database. While this information will not be disclosed to any third party without your consent,

How are the forum's mods and admins going to guarantee the above, because this is a public place, and everything is accessible to the whole world. If, on the other hand, one is referring to the forums users' private information, that is also available to any member of this forum.

I am thinking the above is an error.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

Absent Minded

#52 Post by Absent Minded »

I think it is fairly obvious that if one makes a post to a public forum of any kind such post would be accessible by the world at large. Not being a legal advisor or having a degree in any law, I can only make the reasonable assumption that it is only required information such as your IP address and e-mail that are being protected. Having a brief look at the users control panel it apears that most other information is optional. Thus, you don't need to enter it if you don't want to. Maybe this should be made more clear as not everyone prosses things in the same manner.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

MALsPa

#53 Post by MALsPa »

Absent Minded wrote:not everyone prosses things in the same manner
so true

edbarx

#54 Post by edbarx »

Quote:
"I can only make the reasonable assumption that it is only required information such as your IP address and e-mail that are being protected."

Just open a book of law and check for yourself how laws are written. Assumptions, irrespective of how logical they may seem, have no place in regulations/laws.

julian67

#55 Post by julian67 »

Pointless pedantry.

But anyway, if you have a legal issue Better Call Saul
Wisdom from my inbox: "do not mock at your pottenocy"

Absent Minded

#56 Post by Absent Minded »

edbarx wrote:Quote:
"I can only make the reasonable assumption that it is only required information such as your IP address and e-mail that are being protected."

Just open a book of law and check for yourself how laws are written. Assumptions, irrespective of how logical they may seem, have no place in regulations/laws.
Obviously, I don't have the background to be able to make any legal claims. I can tell you though that in several court cases I have read about, listend to the local news on and been involved in, that what is concidered as "reasonable assumption" given what ever circumstances were present, has made a differance in the judges final verdict. It has been my experiance that (although many would like it that way) the letter of the law is not always absolute.

If you would like to start a thread in specific regard to Debian Users Forum and it's use policy you are welcome to do so. The posts however must stay on topic and be specific to The Debian Users Forum though as having it turn into a political debate is something not allowed on the forum.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

dbbolton

#57 Post by dbbolton »

julian67 wrote:Pointless pedantry.

But anyway, if you have a legal issue Better Call Saul
'Sall good man, 'cause I called Saul Goodman!
GitHub | zsh docs in Letter PDF
Telemachus wrote:Put down the CGI.

refracta

#58 Post by refracta »

:lol: better call saul

edbarx

#59 Post by edbarx »

@ Julian67, ddbolton, refracta.

At least my post served to give you a good laugh. I didn't know about that movie. Maybe I can have a good laugh watching it.

[ joking... ] :lol:

nadir

#60 Post by nadir »

What is with Adrian now?
He is not banned, is he?

If he is:
Come on...give your heart a little nudge
(german saying, i don't know no translation).

If he is not:
Thanks for some info.

Cause right now i feel like this:
:shock:
(say: like being lost somewhere in the universe, and no sign saying that it stops there)
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.