Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

game controller

Need help with peripherals or devices?
grimx

game controller

#1 Post by grimx »

i was wondering is it possible to get a game controller like the Playstation or XBOX
for my computer??

BioTube

Re: game controller

#2 Post by BioTube »

It's definitely possible to use an Xbox 360 controller; I don't know about a PS3 one.
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.

grimx

#3 Post by grimx »

do i need any special software/modules/etc.. to get it to work ??
Debian Wheezy 3.2.0-4-686-pae
AMD Sempron(tm) Processor LE-1300
2 GIGS RAM, 320 GIG Hard Drive
NVIDIA GeForce 6160 SE integrated graphics

emariz

#4 Post by emariz »

I bought a PS-like USB game controller for 6 € and it works perfectly. It only requires xserver-xorg-input-joystick.

Cobalt60

#5 Post by Cobalt60 »

I too am trying to get my controller working how I want it. I use a Logitech Dual Action, which I use for FPS, namely, Halo PC through Windows XP. Halo PC is gamepad friendly, most FPS games are not. On Windows, I have used Logitechs own Logitech Profiler software to use the controller with Urban Terror (a Linux compatible FPS based on I think UT), and I have used a program called XPadder as well. These programs both are capable of tricking the software into thinking the gamepad is really a keyboard, and the right joystick axis as a mouse, thus enabling gamepad support for games that do not come with it.

I have just downloaded Urban Terror for Linux, and am hoping to be playing it with my gamepad soon. I used a Linux program called jscalibrator to recognize and calibrate the joystick, but that does not help me much into using the gamepad with a game such as Urban Terror. So, I also downloaded a program called joy2key, which is supposed to do exactly what I want, but I have not had success using the program.

Well, not trying to jack your thread, but I would definitely recommend the Logitech Dual Action controller, though I have little experience using it with Linux. It is practically identical to a PS2 controller. I have had mine for years and it still works good. Im not sure if the OP had binding the gamepad to keyboard/mouse, but I think it is generally useful to do, and personally, I would appreciate any advice on how to do this in Linux.

-Chris P

C2Q@2.7, Radeon 6870, 8GB RAM, Deb8 LXQt
C2D@1.8, 2GB RAM, 2x2TB RAID1, Deb7, no GUI
X200s, C2D@1.8, 6GB RAM, 32GB-SSD, Deb8, IceWM
T43p, P-M@2.1, 2GB-RAM, 1600x1200-IPS, Deb 3, 4, and 5
240X, P-3@500, 256MB RAM, USB2, 4GB CF

chance2105

#6 Post by chance2105 »

I have a bunch of different connectors. NES, SNES, N64, PSX.. I use original controllers for emulation.

Pretty much any joystick you can connect to the computer using USB will work out-of-the-box. "Work" meaning recognized by the kernel, and you can calibrate it using jscal.