Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to contribute

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
crazy

How to contribute

#1 Post by crazy »

Hi all,

I am new here and I want to contribute in development of debian.

Can anyone tell me how can I subscribe for the same.

Thanx,
Vipul

neddie

Re: How to contribute

#2 Post by neddie »

You're not very specific what you want to do, is it programming? Packaging? Maintenance? Testing? Documentation? Translations? There are lots of ways to contribute.

You could start by looking around the developers' corner and seeing what interests you.

Telemachus

#3 Post by Telemachus »

Moved to Debian Development (nothing really programming related in the original post)
"We have not been faced with the need to satisfy someone else's requirements, and for this freedom we are grateful."
Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, The UNIX Time-Sharing System

crazy

#4 Post by crazy »

I want to do programming.

How can I go with that?

Thanks,
Vipul

crazy

#5 Post by crazy »

Telemachus wrote:Moved to Debian Development (nothing really programming related in the original post)
Sorry!!!

Telemachus

#6 Post by Telemachus »

crazy wrote:
Telemachus wrote:Moved to Debian Development (nothing really programming related in the original post)
Sorry!!!
No worries.

Do you know how to program? If not, your first issue is that. Worry about maintaining something for Debian later.

If you know zero about programming, and you are interested in systems programming, I suppose I would recommend learning C. It's not flashy, but it's still essential. Steve Summit maintains some solid introductory materials on his website. If you want something a little more friendly (and modern) to start, you might consider Perl, Ruby or Python. Some links:
Other people are very likely to have better Python and C suggestions than me and reasonably likely to have better suggestions all-around, but those can at least get you started looking.
"We have not been faced with the need to satisfy someone else's requirements, and for this freedom we are grateful."
Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, The UNIX Time-Sharing System

crazy

#7 Post by crazy »

Telemachus wrote:
crazy wrote:
Sorry!!!
No worries.

Do you know how to program? If not, your first issue is that. Worry about maintaining something for Debian later.

If you know zero about programming, and you are interested in systems programming, I suppose I would recommend learning C. It's not flashy, but it's still essential. Steve Summit maintains some solid introductory materials on his website. If you want something a little more friendly (and modern) to start, you might consider Perl, Ruby or Python. Some links:
Other people are very likely to have better Python and C suggestions than me and reasonably likely to have better suggestions all-around, but those can at least get you started looking.

Yes, I have done some work in Perl. I am also aware of C language, but never implemented something real in C.

Is that enough if I want to get involved in some C and C++ projects in debian? If not, what should I do first before getting involved.

nadir

#8 Post by nadir »

You might want to install the package "developers-reference".
Some steps are described in there, the main one being to subscribe to some mailing-lists.
It's starts right of with the problem you asked about and will be found under /usr/share/doc/developers-reference, e.g:

Code: Select all

zcat /usr/share/doc/developers-reference/developers-reference.txt.gz | less
It is very detailed (you will get the exact address where you are able to subscribe and so on...)
Firstly, subscribe to <debian-devel@lists.debian.org> if you
haven't already. Send the word subscribe in the Subject of an
email to <debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org>. In case of
    problems, contact the list a
Another good list to subscribe to is <
    <debian-mentors@lists.debian.org>.
The mailing list <debian-mentors@lists.debian.org> has been set
up for novice maintainers who seek help with initial packaging
    and other developer-related issues.
I just ran across this page:
http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php/ ... ding_Guide
where i was pointed to said guide, to the package "debian-policy" and to some further sites.

Looks to me taking part in Debian does only make sense if you are really happy with the Debian policy. They seem to stress it more than other distros, and if you don't "believe" in those values there are other distros which don't take it that "serious".
Nothing wrong with not taking it that serious, btw. ... just my two cents bout policys
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

crazy

#9 Post by crazy »

nadir wrote:You might want to install the package "developers-reference".
Some steps are described in there, the main one being to subscribe to some mailing-lists.
It's starts right of with the problem you asked about and will be found under /usr/share/doc/developers-reference, e.g:

Code: Select all

zcat /usr/share/doc/developers-reference/developers-reference.txt.gz | less
It is very detailed (you will get the exact address where you are able to subscribe and so on...)
Firstly, subscribe to <debian-devel@lists.debian.org> if you
haven't already. Send the word subscribe in the Subject of an
email to <debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org>. In case of
    problems, contact the list a
Another good list to subscribe to is <
    <debian-mentors@lists.debian.org>.
The mailing list <debian-mentors@lists.debian.org> has been set
up for novice maintainers who seek help with initial packaging
    and other developer-related issues.
I just ran across this page:
http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php/ ... ding_Guide
where i was pointed to said guide, to the package "debian-policy" and to some further sites.

Looks to me taking part in Debian does only make sense if you are really happy with the Debian policy. They seem to stress it more than other distros, and if you don't "believe" in those values there are other distros which don't take it that "serious".
Nothing wrong with not taking it that serious, btw. ... just my two cents bout policys

Thanks