Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Epiphany default search engine

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
geoffkaniuk

Epiphany default search engine

#1 Post by geoffkaniuk »

I have been using Epiphany for about 10 days now. It seems that suddenly my search engine was changed from Google to VirginMedia.

I cannot find any option to set the default search engine, either in Epiphany preferences or in gconf-editor.

Can anyone explain how this change has occurred or how I might get back to having Google as my default search engine?

I am using Debian Lenny 5 and Epiphany 2.22.3

Many thanks for any help.
Geoff

jheaton5

Re: Epiphany default search engine

#2 Post by jheaton5 »

geoffkaniuk wrote:I have been using Epiphany for about 10 days now. It seems that suddenly my search engine was changed from Google to VirginMedia.

I cannot find any option to set the default search engine, either in Epiphany preferences or in gconf-editor.

Can anyone explain how this change has occurred or how I might get back to having Google as my default search engine?

I am using Debian Lenny 5 and Epiphany 2.22.3

Many thanks for any help.
I don't know anything about Epiphany. I use Iceweasel, but instead of setting a default search engine, I set google as my home page.
debian sid

AnInkedSoul

#3 Post by AnInkedSoul »

I assume you mean that when you type a phrase or word in the address bar and hit enter/go that it usually provides google results.

you can open a tab, type in about:config and hit enter
in the filter box type in keyword and you should see a keyword.URL string where you can set your preferred search engine for keywords

You will probably find that it is still set to google though which means your isp/dns is 'hijacking' your search requests.

craigevil

#4 Post by craigevil »

Epiphany/FrequentlyAskedQuestions - GNOME Live!
Setting the search URL for the location bar (keyword search)

For Epiphany 2.30 and later, you can change the search engine by editing the /apps/epiphany/general/url_search gconf key.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

geoffkaniuk

#5 Post by geoffkaniuk »

I much appreciate your responses, they have helped me solve the problem.

jheaton5
I don't know anything about Epiphany. I use Iceweasel, but instead of setting a default search engine, I set google as my home page.
That certainly is one solution, but I feel I should be in control of my search engine, whatever my home page.

AnInkedSoul
you can open a tab, type in about:config and hit enter ...
Thanks for reminding me regarding about:config. You are absolutely right, google is the default and after some digging around I discovered VM had changed the DNS protocol earlier this year and this was causing problems. They did have an opt out link, (it did not seem to be working - the process is obscure), but after trying again it now seems to work.

craigevil
Yes, I wondered whether I would need to upgrade to 2.30. But 2.22 is in the Debian repository, so if I apt-get won't I just get what I already have? I usually use synaptic from Gnome. If I do upgrade to 2.30 will I not lose my bookmarks and history?
Geoff

craigevil

#6 Post by craigevil »

if you are on stable/lenny you are stuck with 22.3-9 unless you backport it yourself. I have never ran stable, it would drive me nuts with all the ancient apps.

Package epiphany-browser

* lenny (stable) (gnome): Intuitive web browser - dummy package
2.22.3-9: all
* squeeze (testing) (gnome): Intuitive GNOME web browser
2.30.2-3: amd64 armel hppa i386 ia64 kfreebsd-amd64 kfreebsd-i386 mips mipsel powerpc s390 sparc
* sid (unstable) (gnome): Intuitive GNOME web browser
2.30.2-3: amd64 armel hppa hurd-i386 i386 ia64 kfreebsd-amd64 kfreebsd-i386 mips mipsel powerpc s390 sparc
2.29.6-1: alpha
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
My Giant Sources.list

simen

#7 Post by simen »

Sorry to bump this old thread, but I have a question.
craigevil wrote:
For Epiphany 2.30 and later, you can change the search engine by editing the /apps/epiphany/general/url_search gconf key.
I can't find this key in gconf-editor.

I find Epiphany in gconf, but not that key at that (or any) place. The installed version of epiphany-browser is 3.0.4-1 (testing wheezy). Typing "about:config" in the address bar gives a blank screen. Am I missing something?

Kind regards,
Simen

craigevil

#8 Post by craigevil »

to change from google to duckduckgo:
Epiphany - For v3 and newer, there are at least two ways to change the default search engine. 1. using dconf-editor edit: org > gnome > Epiphany > keyword-search-url 2. from command line use this one-liner: GSETTINGS_BACKEND=dconf gsettings set org.gnome.Epiphany keyword-search-url https://duckduckgo.com/?q=%s. For older versions, go to > Menu > System Tools > Configuration Editor (or "gconf-editor" in the console). Drill down to key /apps/epiphany/general/url_search and overwrite the key with your ddg version of choice, e.g. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=%s for the SSL version (making sure to put the %s part at the end after the ' = ' symbol).
My Giant Sources.list

simen

#9 Post by simen »

Thanks craigevil! Setting it in dconf-editor did the trick.

Kind regards,
Simen