Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

cannot resolve local network names only

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
stanb42

cannot resolve local network names only

#1 Post by stanb42 »

I have three Debian systems running, along with several XP laptops, PS3 and two DirecTV systems. I use two of the three Debian systems as media servers, and the third is an older system mostly for playing around with. My home network is running fine with the following nuisance. The two newer Debian (Lenny) systems are <barney> and <mitzi>, the older is named <oscar>, running Debian Sarge 3.1. From either locally or remote login to <barney> and <mitzi> I can ssh into either of the other two systems, however when logged into <oscar> I cannot ssh by name to either of the other systems. e.g. ssh: mitzi: Temporary failure in name resolution.... However, from <oscar> I can ping outside my network (e.g. ping www.google.com) with no problems. I can also ssh to the other systems via IP address, just not by name.

I've compared the /etc/ssh/ssh_config, /etc/resolv.conf, /etc/ssh/sshd_config and other files between the two systems and not seeing anything peculiar. arp, route, etc., don't show different behavior between the systems either.

Like I said, this is an anoyance, but I'd like to understand it.

Thanks,
Stan

MeanDean

Re: cannot resolve local network names only

#2 Post by MeanDean »

some form of name resolution service (or hosts file) that is not present on the sarge system...

stanb42

#3 Post by stanb42 »

from directory /etc

"hosts", "host.conf" & "hostname" are similar on all three systems. The only difference is the respective system name.

"hosts.deny" and "hosts.allow" are identical (everything commented out).

I've searched various forums for several days and think I've looked for the most obvious things, but any advice is appreciated.

Stan

MeanDean

#4 Post by MeanDean »

I would use the following commands to see if I could figure out which packages may be on one system and not the other
dpkg --list | grep resolution
dpkg --list | grep host
dpkg --list | grep name
dpkg --list | grep DNS

and/or look in the list of processes and try to spot anything that might be providing some sort of resolution

stanb42

#5 Post by stanb42 »

OK. found it.

daemon winbindd was not running on <oscar>. Installed it and appears everything is running fine. Thanks!

Stan

smallchange

#6 Post by smallchange »

It seems you have set your linux computers to depend on windows networking to resolve host names. While this works it will break if you windows machine is not online. A more appropriate way to solve this is through the use of DNS or more probably the use of /etc/hosts entries for your linux hosts.

thewanderer

#7 Post by thewanderer »

What about mdns name resolution? This seems like a good idea at home.
Actually, when I was using FreeBSD, it had an option to set the hostname at install time. I chose just that, and then I could connect to it by name - I have no idea how it worked - I don't know if I was using DHCP or not.
[url=irc://irc.freenode.net/debian]Find me on #debian at irc.freenode.net[/url] | Linux permission HOWTO | Shorewall firewall | Virtual web hosting