Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Please help, nothing works anymore

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
kerem

Please help, nothing works anymore

#1 Post by kerem »

Hi

I have installed Openshot Video editor, then it did not work(due to some python bindings I guess) so I uninstalled it. After that everything seems to start failing including, running aptitude and apt-get. Here is a message when I try to run apt-get from command line (sudo apt-get install -f)

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 11 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be used.
Setting up shared-mime-info (0.71-3) ...
update-mime-database.real: /usr/local/lib/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2)
update-mime-database.real: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2: undefined symbol: gzopen64
dpkg: error processing shared-mime-info (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 127
Errors were encountered while processing:
shared-mime-info
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

here is I am trying to run synaptic from command line

synaptic: /usr/local/lib/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2)
/usr/bin/python: /usr/local/lib/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by /usr/bin/python)
/usr/bin/python: /usr/local/lib/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by /usr/bin/python)
synaptic: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2: undefined symbol: gzopen64

This is from "/usr/lib$ ls libz* -al"

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 90284 Dec 28 2009 libz.a
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Jun 29 23:18 libzbar.so.0 -> libzbar.so.0.2.0
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 183284 Jun 9 11:13 libzbar.so.0.2.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 Jun 15 21:13 libzephyr.so.4 -> libzephyr.so.4.0.0
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 51396 Nov 29 2009 libzephyr.so.4.0.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 Jun 16 20:40 libz.so -> libz.so.1.2.3.4
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 Jun 15 20:27 libz.so.1 -> libz.so.1.2.3.4
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 79980 Dec 28 2009 libz.so.1.2.3.4

Th

Any ideas about what I need to fix, install?

thanks

Bulkley

Re: Please help, nothing works anymore

#2 Post by Bulkley »

After that everything seems to start failing including, running aptitude and apt-get.
That's a no no. Pick one and stick with it. Debian recommends Aptitude. They are both good, but mixing can cause problems.

Do you have X or are you stuck in command line?

kerem

#3 Post by kerem »

Hi Bulkley,

After posting here I have done more extensive research on various sites. I have found one message from debian list. The solution regarding libz seemed to work for me.

Re: upgrading in sid
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/200 ... 02065.html

This was a bad hit for me. Literally no package was working-starting. I will use Aptitude from now on as you have suggested.

Issyer

#4 Post by Issyer »

Delete all the files and folders for shared-mime-info.
http://packages.debian.org/sid/i386/sha ... o/filelist

Then run apt-get remove shared-mime-info or dpkg -r shared-mime-info to remove the information about it from the database. That should fix. I didn't try, though, you know.

kerem

#5 Post by kerem »

Issyer wrote:Delete all the files and folders for shared-mime-info.

Then run apt-get remove shared-mime-info or dpkg -r shared-mime-info to remove the information about it from the database. That should fix. I didn't try, though, you know.
Thanks for the help, but did not work for me. I thought that I had resolved the issue but again I am back to where I was. I did try tyour solution and it did not improve the situation

Here are couple error (trying to run some apps)

rhythmbox: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2: undefined symbol: gzopen64

aptitude: /usr/local/lib/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2)

I installed libxml2 and libz from debian packages site without any success.

I do not get it, the packages and links look like they are where they are supposed to be :(

Code: Select all

ls -al libz*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  90284 Dec 28  2009 libz.a
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     16 Jun 29 23:18 libzbar.so.0 -> libzbar.so.0.2.0
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 183284 Jun  9 11:13 libzbar.so.0.2.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     18 Jun 15 21:13 libzephyr.so.4 -> libzephyr.so.4.0.0
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  51396 Nov 29  2009 libzephyr.so.4.0.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     15 Aug  6 01:12 libz.so.1 -> libz.so.1.2.3.4
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  79980 Dec 28  2009 libz.so.1.2.3.4

/usr/lib$ ls -al libxml2*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1469350 Jun 29 06:46 libxml2.a
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root     930 Jun 29 06:45 libxml2.la
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      16 Jul 10 01:04 libxml2.so -> libxml2.so.2.7.7
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      16 Aug  6 01:13 libxml2.so.2 -> libxml2.so.2.7.7
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1213436 Jun 29 06:46 libxml2.so.2.7.7

kerem

#6 Post by kerem »

Hi

I have found that there are 2 libz.so.1, one in /usr/lib and another in /usr/local/lib/ Deleting the one in /usr/local/lib resolves my problem. But the thing is that next time I upgrade or install a new app, the one in /usr/local/lib comes back thus creates the issues all over again. I am really confused about this situation. Does anyone know any which one is needed in reality? Would there be a more elegant and permanent solution?

Really puzzling

Bulkley

#7 Post by Bulkley »

kerem wrote:
Issyer wrote:Delete all the files and folders for shared-mime-info.

As I said, don't mix aptitude and apt-get. You can change Issyer's instruction by substituting aptitude for apt-get.

aptitude remove shared-mime-info
We need to know more. Which version of Debian are you running? Do you have X windows? Or are you stuck at a terminal?

secipolla

#8 Post by secipolla »

Just adding that if you can open Synaptic, open the 'broken packages' filter, mark it for complete removal and Apply. It sometimes solves things that are stuck when trying to do from the command line.

Bulkley

#9 Post by Bulkley »

secipolla wrote:Just adding that if you can open Synaptic, open the 'broken packages' filter, mark it for complete removal and Apply. It sometimes solves things that are stuck when trying to do from the command line.
You are right. aptitude purge [package name] would work too but it is easier to see with Synaptic.

I still don't know if kerem can see any GUIs.

kerem

#10 Post by kerem »

Hi

When I have that problem I cannot run any Guis, I mean I cannot run any new processes with Guis because they all want to use the libxml2 which uses lib.so.1 as far as I understand. As I mentioned deleting the lib.so.1(which is a symlink) in "/usr/local/lib" resolves the issue and everything starts working again. But installing a new app seemed to brought the problem back(added libz.so.1 back to "usr/lib/local") without my consent. I am just trying to figure out why I cannot get rid of this problem fully.

I am under Debian Sequeeze, I have X running.

stevepusser

#11 Post by stevepusser »

How did you install openshot? Somehow, you have files installed into /usr/local, which the Debian APT system absolutely should not do. Someone could create a deb file in a PPA that would violate Debian policy and install them there, but it would never make it into an official repo with that error.
MX Linux packager and developer

kerem

#12 Post by kerem »

stevepusser wrote:How did you install openshot? Somehow, you have files installed into /usr/local, which the Debian APT system absolutely should not do. Someone could create a deb file in a PPA that would violate Debian policy and install them there, but it would never make it into an official repo with that error.
Hmm, that makes sense. Then maybe it was not openshot because I got it from the repo. I have installed another app via .deb,maybe it was that one. I will investigate it. Thanks for the tip.

Btw is there a standard must have list inside "/usr/local/lib"? So that I can compare it to what I have here.

Issyer

#13 Post by Issyer »

kerem wrote:Btw is there a standard must have list inside "/usr/local/lib"? So that I can compare it to what I have here.
Standard should be in /usr/lib. If something is in /usr/local/lib, that means that it was you who had put it to there by compiling (installing non-standard binaries) with the default (non-debian) settings.

kerem

#14 Post by kerem »

So ideally it should be empty if I myself have not put something deliberately?

smallchange

#15 Post by smallchange »

Shared libraries are usually accessed through symbolic links. These are created by ldconfig which is run by many packages when they are installed. If you have versions of libraries in /usr/local/lib ldconfig will recreate the links when it is run. Remove not only the links but also what the link points to in /usr/local/lib. That will stop the link from getting recreated when you install a package.

stevepusser

#16 Post by stevepusser »

kerem wrote:So ideally it should be empty if I myself have not put something deliberately?
If you compile a program locally, by ./configure, make, make install, standard policy is for the files to go into /usr/local. But still doing that is the poorest option for Debian, much better to learn how to port over deb packages. However, deb packages are not supposed to install anything there, nor packages from a repository. It is possible to misconfigure a deb package to install files into the local folder, though, so that may how they got there.
MX Linux packager and developer

kerem

#17 Post by kerem »

stevepusser,

thanks, I appreciate it. I am investigating the packages I have installed last couple days.

Issyer

#18 Post by Issyer »

kerem wrote:So ideally it should be empty if I myself have not put something deliberately?
You can delete the whole /usr/local, if you don't need that stuff. When you do a fresh Debian install, there's no such a folder.