Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Trouble in the land of sidux

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
craigevil

Trouble in the land of sidux

#1 Post by craigevil »

http://sidux.com/index.php?module=News& ... ay&sid=607
Important News: sidux Development
Contributed by devil on Aug 03, 2010 - 06:33 PM
As some of you might have read between the lines on the forum, the public development of sidux has lately come to a halt. The reason for this are ongoing problems between the developers and sidux e.V. (the german foundation) that need to be settled before we can move on. We are in the process of doing so. On 2010-08-14 there will be a member meeting of the foundation to see if problems can be solved. Please give us the time needed to solve these problems. We will keep you posted after the meeting.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

nadir

Re: Trouble in the land of sidux

#2 Post by nadir »

:lol:
No one would have expected that, would he?
First good laugh for today.
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#3 Post by mzilikazi »

Now what repo will we get ceni from? :(
It's only the best wireless config tool ever, GUI or CLI.
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G

ComputerBob

#4 Post by ComputerBob »

nadir wrote::lol:
I don't understand what you think is funny about sidux having trouble. :?:
ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic (TM)
ComputerBob.com - Nearly 6,000 Posts and 23 Million Views
My Massive Stroke
Help! (off-topic)

nadir

#5 Post by nadir »

ComputerBob wrote:
nadir wrote::lol:
I don't understand what you think is funny about sidux having trouble. :?:
I am not the only one who thinks that the whole Sidux-crew is anything but friendly. Lots of people don't use it for exactly that reason.
Now:
The reason for this are ongoing problems between the developers and sidux e.V. (the german foundation)
that is what i think is funny. If there are no noobs/users to give them the business anymore, they seem to have to give it one to the other.
(though some hang around at the german forum and do a good job in proving their bad reputation to be something they have earned)

julian67

#6 Post by julian67 »

I looked at the Google Translation of the Sidux e.V. site and one of the issues in this is the way the board is run, with people being banned without warning, threads and posts being deleted without being noted, general hostile environment etc. Perhaps when they all get together and discuss it they will all mysteriously disappear and never be seen or heard from again.

It definitely isn't funny and I didn't laugh (I lie).
Wisdom from my inbox: "do not mock at your pottenocy"

nadir

#7 Post by nadir »

And, i am right?, was that not exactly the same thing with kanotix?... Germans doesn't seem to change much (total <whatever>, but always total. Lack of democratic behavior -aka: communication. My way or the highway...).

Why i think they sock? Complete absence of humor.

Bro.Tiag

#8 Post by Bro.Tiag »

julian67 wrote:It definitely isn't funny and I didn't laugh (I lie).
I too cried. Too funny.

anticapitalista

#9 Post by anticapitalista »

mzilikazi wrote:Now what repo will we get ceni from? :(
It's only the best wireless config tool ever, GUI or CLI.

MEPIS Community repo.

Maybe it will enter Debian repos as well at some point in the future.
antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

pcalvert

#10 Post by pcalvert »

Though the forum may not be the friendliest place, I like sidux. I am looking forward to installing it and then breaking (almost) all of the rules. :D

Phil
Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.

Four23619

#11 Post by Four23619 »

The sidux forum is a terrible place. I'd probably rather hang on the Buntu forums than the sidux wasteland. At least I get humor out of the Buntu forum posts, despite losing 50 IQ points every time I go there.
Seriously, sidux is just... why the hell would anyone use it? I used to think that sidux was nice, but then I figured that there is nothing on sidux that can't already be done on Debian. But it's more than that. The developers and community around sidux is indeed very unfriendly and unforgiving. I played an online game once and one of the sidux developers was playing, and I must say, he is very rude and quite arrogant. I've seen him in other places too. I'm glad there is trouble in sidux world, maybe they will wake up and smell the coffee.
Either that or their sidux ship will go the way of the Titanic and sink.(in reference to this http://teststuff.de/sidux/bilder/debianrealms2.png - 800x658 PNG, 167.54 kB, work safe).

Looking at the linked pic, it seams ship sidux is sailing near an iceberg, so no wonder why they are having trouble. Use Debain. I cannot stress that enough. What is Linux? It's Debian, it's not sidux or Ubuntu, but Debian, well it's more than that, such as freedom etc. but distro wise, it's Debian. sidux Is the Ubuntu of Germany, they take away from the Debian resources, or at least don't contribute anything of value, then they have rabbid dog fights amongst themselves over policies, development, community members and all the rest of it. They also release a steaming pile of poo that they call a distro, although sidux is better than Ubuntu, too bad their community isn't.

Debian is the way, sidux is not.
Get Real, Get Debian.
Registered Linux User #423619

craigevil

#12 Post by craigevil »

Four23619 wrote:The sidux forum is a terrible place. I'd probably rather hang on the Buntu forums than the sidux wasteland. At least I get humor out of the Buntu forum posts, despite losing 50 IQ points every time I go there.
Seriously, sidux is just... why the hell would anyone use it? I used to think that sidux was nice, but then I figured that there is nothing on sidux that can't already be done on Debian. But it's more than that. The developers and community around sidux is indeed very unfriendly and unforgiving. I played an online game once and one of the sidux developers was playing, and I must say, he is very rude and quite arrogant. I've seen him in other places too. I'm glad there is trouble in sidux world, maybe they will wake up and smell the coffee.
Either that or their sidux ship will go the way of the Titanic and sink.(in reference to this http://teststuff.de/sidux/bilder/debianrealms2.png - 800x658 PNG, 167.54 kB, work safe).

Looking at the linked pic, it seams ship sidux is sailing near an iceberg, so no wonder why they are having trouble. Use Debain. I cannot stress that enough. What is Linux? It's Debian, it's not sidux or Ubuntu, but Debian, well it's more than that, such as freedom etc. but distro wise, it's Debian. sidux Is the Ubuntu of Germany, they take away from the Debian resources, or at least don't contribute anything of value, then they have rabbid dog fights amongst themselves over policies, development, community members and all the rest of it. They also release a steaming pile of poo that they call a distro, although sidux is better than Ubuntu, too bad their community isn't.

Debian is the way, sidux is not.
Get Real, Get Debian.
The one nice thing about sidux is how fast it installs, you can't beat a 5 minute install.
I started with Kanotix moved to sidux then to Debian sid, other than how fast sidux installs there really isn't a reason to run it. Because their forum is on a server in Germany you can't even ask about most multimedia things including mplayer, codecs, libdvdcss etc. If you want multimedia help they tell you to go to their irc channel, very few people know what irc is and asking them to use it just to install a couple of packages is nuts.

My current install started out as sidux 2007-04.5 - Έρως christmas special - kde-full - (200712260138), when kde4 entered sid I removed kde which also took most of the sidux packages with it. I then installed a Debian kernel and Grub2 which removed the rest of the sidux packages. My other desktop started out as Kanotix Bug Hunter 01 in Feb 2004 which was converted to sidux using smxi, it has also been converted to pure Debian sid. Both run perfectly without any sidux packages.

The sidux devs also talk bad about Chrome and Opera because they add a repo to the sources.list, and they called smxi a rootkit because it can also change the sources.list if you choose to do so. sxmi is a script it isn't difficult to open it in any text editor and see what it does. One of their irc ops went nuts last year when sidux dropped support for smxi, any mention of smxi or liquorix resulted in a permanent ban from #sidux.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

Four23619

#13 Post by Four23619 »

craigevil wrote: The sidux devs also talk bad about Chrome and Opera because they add a repo to the sources.list, and they called smxi a rootkit because it can also change the sources.list if you choose to do so. sxmi is a script it isn't difficult to open it in any text editor and see what it does. One of their irc ops went nuts last year when sidux dropped support for smxi, any mention of smxi or liquorix resulted in a permanent ban from #sidux.
This is pretty much one of the main reasons why I stay away from sidux. Their policies and rules are boderline insanity. None of it make sense. The install is good, mainly as to how quick it is. But really, give me a Debian installer any day. I absolutely *love* the Debian installer. The Debian installer walks over every other Linux installer, in my opinion. Nothing else compares, every option you need is there and it's just so flexible, minus the bloat that other distro installers have.

julian67

#14 Post by julian67 »

Who cares if the install takes 5 minutes or 25 or 105? Who is installing often enough that it matters? Oh yeah...Sidux users with broken OS :D
Wisdom from my inbox: "do not mock at your pottenocy"

nadir

#15 Post by nadir »

Because their forum is on a server in Germany you can't even ask about most multimedia things including mplayer, codecs, libdvdcss etc.
There are german forums (afaik on german servers) where you can ask about it (or, afaik, the only one where you can't is the sidux one). *

The problems are usually not the German laws (which in general are quite modern), but the germs themselves.
So no, in my eyes it doesn't seem to be because its on a german server, but because they don'T want to. And ain't got what it takes to say: "because we want/don't want". Responsibility.

* I am not _so_ sure about that (cause usually i don't check in which country the server of a forum is and usually i don't use german forums). But i never run in that "problem". What i don't like at the forum is the general hostility. Too much of fanboyism too.

Four23619

#16 Post by Four23619 »

nadir wrote:
What i don't like at the forum is the general hostility. Too much of fanboyism too.
Yup. I haven't been around here on the Debian forums much or for very long, but I must say, it's a far, far better place than the Ubuntu forums or sidux forums. Much, much better by far. The amount of rubbish posted on the Ubuntu and sidux forums.... yuck, not to mention the general unfriendliness and rudeness towards anything they don't agree with. Again, Debian forums are by far better and probably the best of all the Linux forums. Go into any section on these forums and find just about every single thread to be useful and interesting, as well as friendly. The same cannot be said for sidux forums, and Ubuntu forums.

Again, Debian all the way, even the forums are better.

jheaton5

#17 Post by jheaton5 »

julian67 wrote:Who cares if the install takes 5 minutes or 25 or 105? Who is installing often enough that it matters? Oh yeah...Sidux users with broken OS :D
I have tried Sidux twice in the past year. I returned to Debian sid both times because the system crashed. And since I was using aptitude instead of apt-get, I didn't dare post on the forum. :roll:
debian sid

nadir

#18 Post by nadir »

jheaton5 wrote:
julian67 wrote:Who cares if the install takes 5 minutes or 25 or 105? Who is installing often enough that it matters? Oh yeah...Sidux users with broken OS :D
I have tried Sidux twice in the past year. I returned to Debian sid both times because the system crashed. And since I was using aptitude instead of apt-get, I didn't dare post on the forum. :roll:
But then you missed the biggest pleasure. Ok, i will give you a hand here:
"You did it wrong, plain wrong. You do it wrong. You will do it wrong. You are nothing, the ground we walk upon. WE know whats the best for you."
You now can call yourself a real sidux user.
:mrgreen:

btw: i like the OS itself, but as a live, as a installation its too touchy and crashes too fast (for me, but without doing anything wrong: aptitude, gnome, synaptic or upgrading from X i didn't do. Posting over there seems useless. The wiki is good.)
Bit of a pity they bork it with their attitude.

jheaton5

#19 Post by jheaton5 »

@nadir: Thanks so much. I feel enormously better now. :mrgreen:
debian sid

smallchange

#20 Post by smallchange »

Four23619 wrote:
nadir wrote:
What i don't like at the forum is the general hostility. Too much of fanboyism too.
Yup. I haven't been around here on the Debian forums much or for very long, but I must say, it's a far, far better place than the Ubuntu forums or sidux forums. Much, much better by far. The amount of rubbish posted on the Ubuntu and sidux forums.... yuck, not to mention the general unfriendliness and rudeness towards anything they don't agree with. Again, Debian forums are by far better and probably the best of all the Linux forums. Go into any section on these forums and find just about every single thread to be useful and interesting, as well as friendly. The same cannot be said for sidux forums, and Ubuntu forums.

Again, Debian all the way, even the forums are better.
Don't say that too loudly. We have a reputation for being elitist pricks that know everything and will not share it with anyone else. That helps keep the riffraff out. Many more posts like this and we will start to look like the Ubuntu forum.:)