Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Java Programming

Programming languages, Coding, Executables, Package Creation, and Scripting.
miller0521

Java Programming

#1 Post by miller0521 »

I am wondering whats the easiest way to install the j2re environment from Sun, just download the binary or is there a repo for debian out there that contains a .deb package for it?

kink
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#2 Post by kink »

It's currently only in unstable (sid) but will be in testing (etch) in a few days. The package is called 'sun-java5-jre' You can try if it runs on stable and/or backport it. I'm not aware of an exising backport.

Otherwise, you can use the 'java-package' package. That has instructions on how to download and debianify the jre from Sun.

miller0521

#3 Post by miller0521 »

kink wrote:It's currently only in unstable (sid) but will be in testing (etch) in a few days. The package is called 'sun-java5-jre' You can try if it runs on stable and/or backport it. I'm not aware of an exising backport.

Otherwise, you can use the 'java-package' package. That has instructions on how to download and debianify the jre from Sun.
If its going to come into testing in a few days I can wait for that. I am happy to hear that anyways, I was under the impression Debian would never have the sun package available.

Also is there another repo I need to enable, like a non-free or a contrib or something? Or are there only one for testing?

kink

#4 Post by kink »

Yeah, it's in 'non-free'.

miller0521

#5 Post by miller0521 »

kink wrote:Yeah, it's in 'non-free'.
How do I enable that?

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#6 Post by Lavene »

Just add 'non-free' to the testing (or etc) line in your /etc/apt/sources.list like this:

Code: Select all

deb ftp://ftp.no.debian.org/debian/ etch main contrib non-free
Tina

miller0521

#7 Post by miller0521 »

Lavene wrote:Just add 'non-free' to the testing (or etc) line in your /etc/apt/sources.list like this:

Tina
Thank you very much this has been really helpful. I was unable to find any other repo's other than the one my system installed with.

miller0521

#8 Post by miller0521 »

kink wrote:It's currently only in unstable (sid) but will be in testing (etch) in a few days. The package is called 'sun-java5-jre' You can try if it runs on stable and/or backport it. I'm not aware of an exising backport.

Is there a way to tell when it will be in testing? I've got the non free enabled and still haven't see java sun come through yet.

thialme

#9 Post by thialme »

Lavene wrote:Just add 'non-free' to the testing (or etc) line in your /etc/apt/sources.list like this:

Tina
I did that way afterwards :

apt-get install fakeroot java-package
and then

fakeroot make-jpkg jre-1_5_0_07-linux-i586.bin
in order to get a .deb from a.bin, with the latest release I found. Then, I installed it :

dpkg -i sun-j2re1.5_1.5.0+update07_i386.deb

miller0521

#10 Post by miller0521 »

thialme wrote:

Tina
I did that way afterwards :

apt-get install fakeroot java-package
and then

fakeroot make-jpkg jre-1_5_0_07-linux-i586.bin
in order to get a .deb from a.bin, with the latest release I found. Then, I installed it :

dpkg -i sun-j2re1.5_1.5.0+update07_i386.deb
Yea I heard that I could do it that way as well, but I was told it would be in testing in a couple days, so its probably best to wiat for that correct?

tarcisio

#11 Post by tarcisio »

kink wrote:Yeah, it's in 'non-free'.
I did'nt understand the issue, well I mean, a need of .deb package to
install Sun j2re.

I have installed from the page of Sun with no debianization and it works
prety well. Install it at /usr/java and it will be oficial java of your
machine. I have it at /usr/local/bin and have done
sudo ln -s /usr/local/bin/jre1.5.0_07/bin/java /usr/java
and
chmod a+x /usr/java
tarcisio
tarcisio praciano-pereira
http://www.sobralmatematica.org

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#12 Post by Lavene »

tarcisio wrote:I did'nt understand the issue, well I mean, a need of .deb package to
install Sun j2re.... ... ...
tarcisio
There are lots of advantages to install stuff through apt when available from a repository. Automatic updates, dependency handeling, automatic removal etc etc...

You don't *need* everything to be installed from a deb (to be honest I have installed jre from Sun's .bin my self... don't tell anyone :P ) but it really is the preferred way on Debian systems.

Tina

lorebett

Re: Java Programming

#13 Post by lorebett »

miller0521 wrote:I am wondering whats the easiest way to install the j2re environment from Sun, just download the binary?
I've always used sun binaries without problems

miller0521

Re: Java Programming

#14 Post by miller0521 »

lorebett wrote:
miller0521 wrote:I am wondering whats the easiest way to install the j2re environment from Sun, just download the binary?
I've always used sun binaries without problems
I can install the binary with no problems, thats fine with me. I am however wondering why the repo has Update 8 and not Update 9... I had heard update 8 was pulled by sun very quickly because of some major issues.