Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installing x server

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
anthony

Installing x server

#1 Post by anthony »

hello, im trying to get into gnome after a fresh install of debian sarge and i cant due to needing x server. Upon startup im informed that x server isnt working properly and it gives me /ect/x11/x as refrence. I would really appreciate help accessing the gui. Im sorry if i missed a thread regarding this, i looked all over but i have been at this for about 4 hours now and im a little frustrated now lol

thanks for the help

Red

#2 Post by Red »

Code: Select all

apt-get install xserver-xorg-core xorg gdm gnome
:roll: If you stil have error with X, try to fix it with dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Good luck

osmo

#3 Post by osmo »

Red wrote:

apt-get install xserver-xorg-core xorg gdm gnome
:roll: If you stil have error with X, try to fix it with dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
Sarge does not have xorg. I believe that should be

apt-get install x-window-system-core gdm gnome
and perhaps (guessing)

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

anthony

#4 Post by anthony »

thanks alot for the quick response, ill give it a try and tell you guys what happens.

anthony

#5 Post by anthony »

still not sure why this isnt working, im sure its something simple. I believe i have all of the right packages but still x server is being strange, now im not getting the error message that says x server gui is not installed properly, so that is a plus, but i have to do most of my online work with the computer i installed it on at work(radio station, lots of free time) so i have limited internet access. If there is amything that i can download to help me get into the gui direct me to it. again thanks for the help, keep it comming and ill keep working at it.

ajdlinux

#6 Post by ajdlinux »

If you run 'startx' from the command line do you get any errors?
Jabber: xmpp:ajdlinux@jabber.org.au
Spammers, email this: ajdspambucket@exemail.com.au

anthony

#7 Post by anthony »

no it goes into aptitude, could it possibly be an issue with my installed packages?

Tyler

#8 Post by Tyler »

erm, do you mean that aptitude starts when you type startx on the command line? I think that would require some real effort to pull off...

I've had good luck with xdebconfigurator, as advised from the GenieOS website:
Install the xdebconfigurator by logging in as the root user and issuing apt-get install xdebconfigurator. Then issue the command xdebconfigurator followed by dexconf. Reboot.
HTH,

Tyler

anthony

#9 Post by anthony »

yeah thats what i meant, strange huh?

i will give that a try next.

Christmas

#10 Post by Christmas »

It should work very well after "apt-get install x-window-system-core gdm gnome" then "gdm". If not, most of the time it's the misconfiguration of the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file, at least it was for me. Try and see if the mouse is configured correctly, I had /dev/input/mice working for a USB mouse, but for a PS/2 mouse I had to put /dev/psaux and as protocol ImPS/2. Also check the monitor resolutions and refresh rates in section "Monitor". I'll post this two sections here as they are in my file:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"
        Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
        Option          "ZAxisMapping"          "4 5"
EndSection
So, if its not a USB this should work, otherwise put /dev/input/mice instead of /dev/psaux. And the monitor section for my 17" Philips:

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Generic Monitor"
        HorizSync       30-85
        VertRefresh     50-160
        Option          "DPMS"
EndSection
Hope this helps. I'm a beginner though I'm sure it must be the configuration file.
Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air...
TuxArena

anthony

#11 Post by anthony »

yes yes yes! thanks alot alll of you,

apt-get install x-windows-system gnome gdm was exactly what i needed, after that it was still giving me errors but they were config errors so i fixed that up and.... im in the gui!

this is great i love this OS. Now i just have to work all of this out with a dual boot on a different computer with and AMD Athlon x64

but today is a good day. Thanks again!

Christmas

#12 Post by Christmas »

It's great to see you've managed to make it work. Good luck!
Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air...
TuxArena

#13 Post by Guest »

this thread was really helpful! Thanks a bunch
/stille