Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Bug in Squeeze package syslinux ?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Peppe

Bug in Squeeze package syslinux ?

#1 Post by Peppe »

I have been using Squeeze for a while and loving it .
One handy utility is Unetbootin which I have been using to create bootable usb flash drives .
Suddenly , some days ago - I couldn't boot with a newly created usb drive .
The post boot screen is displayed and it hangs - tried Tiny Core linux , Debian installer and Freesco .
I got my hands on a second flash drive and got the same error .
After a lot of attempts I installed Lenny one of my older box and did the following ;

Inserted the usb drive to my squeeze box and installed the image with Unetbootin
Inserted the usb drive to my lenny box and ran syslinux /dev/sda1

Then the usb drive booted fine , in fact both drives booted fine .

If I type syslinux /dev/sda1 on my squeeze box then the usb drive won't boot .

From what I can understand there are different versions of syslinux ;

In Lenny 2:3.71+dfsg-5
In Squeeze 2:4.02+dfsg-3

What should I do about this - should I file a bug report ?

Thanks in advance ,

Regards , Peter
Running Debian Squeeze with xfce4 on a Fujitsu P7120 and a Asus ITX HTPC with Debian Squeeze with xfce4 . Debian just keeps getting better and better .

peter_irich

Re: Bug in Squeeze package syslinux ?

#2 Post by peter_irich »

I'm not used unetbootin, I always made like in http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/
ch. 4.3.2. Is your usb-flash really /dev/sda1? Perhaps, bug is in unetbootin?

Peter.

Peppe

#3 Post by Peppe »

If you try to make a USB drive in Squeeze with syslinux you will hopefully run in to the same problem .
Does anyone have time to verify that Squeeze has this problem with syslinux?

Regards , Peter
Running Debian Squeeze with xfce4 on a Fujitsu P7120 and a Asus ITX HTPC with Debian Squeeze with xfce4 . Debian just keeps getting better and better .

fsmithred

#4 Post by fsmithred »

I tried to make a squeeze live usb-hdd image, and I get the following message at the end of the build, with no binary.img created. I'm using live-helper in squeeze, which I know has some other problems, too.

Code: Select all

The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  syslinux-common
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  syslinux*

Peppe

#5 Post by Peppe »

*Bump*

Should I make a bug report out of this and if so , is the right place to report the bug at owner@bugs.qa.debian.org ?

Regards , Peter

craigevil

#6 Post by craigevil »

Did you check the BTS?

Debian -- Debian BTS - reporting bugs
How to report a bug in Debian using reportbug

We strongly recommend that you report bugs in Debian using the reportbug program. To install and start it, simply run:

aptitude install reportbug; reportbug

It will guide you through the bug reporting process step by step.
Or use reportbug-ng - An easy to use alternative to Debian's classic reportbug.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

mark_grieveson

#7 Post by mark_grieveson »

Peppe wrote: Inserted the usb drive to my lenny box and ran syslinux /dev/sda1

Then the usb drive booted fine , in fact both drives booted fine .

If I type syslinux /dev/sda1 on my squeeze box then the usb drive won't boot .
I have been having similar problems. I think the issue is that the device drives have changed. Specifically, in Lenny, hard drives were typically "hda" or "hdb" (hdx), whereas usb drives were typically "sda" or something with "sd". Now, it seems everything is "sdx" (ie, sda1 could be the main partition of your hard drive rather than hda1, with sda5 being the swap, and sdb could be a secondary hard drive, with sdc being the usb-stick). One way to check is to insert your usb stick, and enter the command "fdisk -l". The usb-stick need not be mounted.

I think debian is moving away from having people use the fstab file, and is moving toward a more automatic mounting of drives (with UUID stuff). I'm not really sure. I still use my fstab file, and manually mount stuff. I did find the UUID number for one of my usb sticks, and made an fstab entry with that. But I would prefer to just find a standard /dev/something file to use for all of them, so I don't have to make numerous entries in the fstab file. I'm going to try /dev/sdc, and then /dev/sdc1, etc, till I get something workable. For cdroms, it seems to be /dev/sr0 rather than /dev/cdrom1.

Okay, so I added the following to my fstab:

Code: Select all

/dev/sdc1       /media/usb      vfat    noauto,user     0       0
/dev/sdc2       /media/usb2     vfat    noauto,user     0       0
# /dev/sda      /media/usb      vfat    noauto,user     0       0
# /dev/sdb      /media/usb2      vfat    noauto,user     0       0
This seems to work. I have two entries because I have two usb slots; so, if I insert two usb-sticks at the same time in each of the respective slots, I'll be able to mount them both and work on them. Note too that I commented out the previous entries I used to have, since /dev/sda and /dev/sdb now point to hard drives (on my system -- I have two hard drives). If you only have one hard drive, then for you the usb-sticks may be "/dev/sdb" rather than "/dev/sdc" (I'm just guessing here). Anyway, I don't believe your issues are due to a bug in the syslinux program. I think it's due to a renaming of the devices. So, good luck.