Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[solved]Squeeze on Dell Latitude D830 with i965 GM-fuzzy scr

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Xode

[solved]Squeeze on Dell Latitude D830 with i965 GM-fuzzy scr

#1 Post by Xode »

Hello Everybody!

I'm trying to start using Debian Squeeze 64b on my laptop, which is Dell Latitude D830 with Intel i965GM.

After Debian installation, when system should display some nice background and window which please me to log in, I see my screen gets blank, fuzzy, blank again, ...and after several times finaly all hangs.
Surprisingly mouse pointer is displayed nicely and works. I can't use network on Debian becouse of windows authorization program which i can run in wine on KDE. This works on Kubuntu.

What I did already:
I installed KUBUNTU 10.04 LTS and it's doing job well.
I installed Debian Squeeze with options:
- enabled:base system, laptop
- disabled:graphical environment

After instalation I logged in on root account and did:
1. aptitude install xserver-xorg xbase-clients xfonts-base xterm
2. aptitude install kdebase kde-i18n-pl
3. aptitude install kdm
4. reboot
5. problem occurs

@2: Googling everywhere i found several installation guides pointing to instal pure KDE by installing kde-core package, but it seems Squeeze does not have it.
@3: Unfortunately this command did not install nor update anything.

All I want to do is to install pure Debian with xorg and kde core (not full kde package) for later customization.

I tried to:
- generate xorg.conf (X -configure) and place it at /etc/X11/
- use xorg.conf working for other people in web.
- dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
- googling & forum search for my specific problem and for errors found in syslog; with no working solution.

Any ideas, suggestions? I'll test them all, even if I tried it already with no success :!:

Regards
Xode
Attachments
logs.zip
Kern.log, messages, syslog, xorg.0.log
(125.99 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
Last edited by Xode on 2010-09-02 18:28, edited 2 times in total.

Xode

Re: Squeeze on Dell Latitude D830 with i965 GM - fuzzy screen

#2 Post by Xode »

Having no fun with Squeeze I installed Lenny, praying it will work.
And it works.

Installation of Lenny is quite similar to Squeeze, base system is a matter of few minutes. (Laptop + Base system)
Then as above I made

Code: Select all

aptitude install xserver-xorg xbase-clients xfonts-base xterm
aptitude install kde-core kde-i18n-pl
aptitude install kdm
...and so I got Debian Lenny with KDE 3.5 8)
Now i have to configure network & upgrade Lenny to Squeeze. I hope it will end with success.

Xode

#3 Post by Xode »

So... upgrading Lenny to Squeeze gave me the same screen look.
Then I installed clean Squeeze, changed repo to SID's and performed dist-upgrade. All of a sudden aptitude was removed :shock:
Whatever, installed aptitude again, then graphical desktop as previously. and fuzzy again. omg, wtf.

This is where i get to (Debian SID 64b):
Image Image

dotlj

#4 Post by dotlj »

I'm wondering how you installed Debian first on your system and why you did it that way.
If you download CD images, there is a CD with KDE on it on one CD, obviously not a complete KDE, but quite useful and it works on most hardware.
If you have a good internet connection you can download additional drivers during the install process.

If you use the net install CD you can choose, if you used the first CD, then you get gnome, but DVD includes many desktops. You can install all of them, if you want to, then choose your preferred.

Generally intel graphics cards are handled well. Do you have any helpful error messages in Xorg log files or syslog file?

Xode

#5 Post by Xode »

@dotlj
Hi, I already answered to Your questions in the first post. But I'm gratefull for considering my case as important for being solved. Thanks!

:D
...during last few nights I made google search for packages that mainly could affect my view. I mentioned two funny / stupid things that I didn't realised at the first place:
1. My kernel was 2.6.32-trunk-amd64.
2. Flash @ 64bits is not available.

according to 1.
During installation of Squeeze 64bit I was able to choose from 2 kernels. Each option directed me to situation where TRUNK is the active kernel :? quite weird.
Also, at first I didn't realised that I got kernel 2.6.32-5-amd64 installed also. When I booted with it, I saw nice login windowl; and after login, good looking desktop!
So for my case and 64bit Squeeze / SID installation solution to working view was changing kernel to 2.6.32-5-amd64. Don't use drunk kernel (or whatever it is called).

according to 2.
I also realised that 64bit flash is not available for 64bit OS's for none of them. In 64 bit systems as a walkaround is used installation of 32 bit web browser which for which flash works.After wandering a bit I downloaded 1'st DVD of Squeeze 32bit.
I installed it with kernel 2.6.32-5-686. Four kernels were available to choose from and none of them was drunk :wink: .
Now I got 32bit Debian SID (upgraded from Squeeze), with KDE4.4.5 (kdebase) and everything work as expected.

Problem solved.
Thank You all, for reading, thinking, searching etc. ...time to have fun 8)