Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Fileserver

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Rips23

Fileserver

#1 Post by Rips23 »

I'm going try to setup a fileserver for my private network.
I 'googled' a little and came up the the following information:
When i want to setup an fileserver for a *nix environment a need NFS.
And when I want to set up a fileserver where window$ clients have to log on to I need Samba.

Do I have to have more info to make a choice? And there any more options do make a fileserver?

T.i.a

lacek

#2 Post by lacek »

There are lots of options, of course. However, if you want to interact with windows computers, samba may be the only alternative. Anyway, there is Coda, which is similar to NFS, or you can make your Linux box act as a NetWare server.
Usually, NFS if the easiest to set up, Samba is a bit more complicated, but yet very easy. NetWare shares are tricky to configure, and I never configured Coda myself.
NFS practically can't handle errors, as well as Samba is tend to 'stick' there if a computer is gone, but there are some workarounds.

I would say use Samba, it is fairly easy to set up, you can browse samba shares without mounting them, and there are many tools available for dealing with Samba shares. Not to mention, again, it is probably the only one Windows will recognize...

Rips23

#3 Post by Rips23 »

I'm not sure if there's going to be a windows machine in this network (My girlfriend isn’t used to dealing with computers that won’t give a blue screen once in a while).
But I understand that when the network is *nix only, NFS is the best choice because it would be much faster.
Is that right?

lacek

#4 Post by lacek »

NFS is faster, but you can't browse NFS 'shares' like you can Samba. But if you will know exactly what you want to mount, NFS is good.

Rips23

#5 Post by Rips23 »

I installed samba and it functions.
I'm now going to secure my network
Thanks