Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

When will Wine be updated in Debian testing?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
shmerl

When will Wine be updated in Debian testing?

#1 Post by shmerl »

Debian testing still ships Wine 1.0.1. Are there any plans to update it to the recent release version?

TobiSGD

Re: When will Wine be updated in Debian testing?

#2 Post by TobiSGD »

Testing is in freeze, so there will be no version updates until the release. And even after that, there will not be the latest version, I think, currently there is no newer version than 1.1.24 in the Debian repositories.

shmerl

#3 Post by shmerl »

You mean testing will start moving forward when Squeeze will be officially released?

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#4 Post by 4D696B65 »

shmerl wrote:You mean testing will start moving forward when Squeeze will be officially released?
yes

dejan034

#5 Post by dejan034 »

You can install PlayOnLinux

Tenno Seremel

#6 Post by Tenno Seremel »

AFAIK new WINE versions aren't quite compatible with testing kernel anyway.

cynwulf

#7 Post by cynwulf »

Even the wine package in the experimental repo is only a little newer than the current wine stable release. If you want the latest wine you will always have to get the current 1.3.x development release from winehq.

TheExplorer

#8 Post by TheExplorer »

Tenno Seremel wrote:AFAIK new WINE versions aren't quite compatible with testing kernel anyway.
Wrong.

I have compiled a stable Wine version 1.2.1 when it was released and I'm using it without issues. I also use their development branch @work without problems.

2shmerl:
So, if you want I can upload it somewhere. It's for 32-bit system btw.
Money is the evil of all root. Be free. Use Linux.

stevepusser

#9 Post by stevepusser »

Or Brooko's development builds for the (mostly) Lenny-based Mepis 8.5 should run fine on Squeeze. Not sure if you need to remove all libwine packages first, or if his single .deb build can upgrade gracefully and remove them.

http://main.mepis-deb.org/mepiscr/repo/ ... in/w/wine/
MX Linux packager and developer

eric1959

#10 Post by eric1959 »

Or Brooko's development builds for the (mostly) Lenny-based Mepis 8.5 should run fine on Squeeze.
Just about to tell the same !
Debian Bits And Snips
Squeeze, Gnome, amd64, Intel Core i3-530, Geforce GT330

Tenno Seremel

#11 Post by Tenno Seremel »

TheExplorer wrote:Wrong.

I have compiled a stable Wine version 1.2.1 when it was released and I'm using it without issues. I also use their development branch @work without problems.
What is your actual use of it? I've never said it will not compile. It's there, it seems to work. But when you play 3D games sometimes (sooner than later) it just dies. With the whole system. All I have is "No signal" until I reboot. It does not happen with versions <= 1.1.31.

cynwulf

#12 Post by cynwulf »

Tenno Seremel wrote:
TheExplorer wrote:Wrong.

What is your actual use of it? I've never said it will not compile. It's there, it seems to work. But when you play 3D games sometimes (sooner than later) it just dies. With the whole system. All I have is "No signal" until I reboot. It does not happen with versions <= 1.1.31.
Unless you've tested the same version with a newer kernel and found this not to be the case, then perhaps this would suggest that something is broken in the latest beta?

Tenno Seremel

#13 Post by Tenno Seremel »

It happens in all later WINE versions. Not only 1.2. I haven't tested it yet (as 1.1.31 was somewhat enough for my purposes), but I heard developers said something like that. Well, there could be misunderstanding on my part.

TheExplorer

#14 Post by TheExplorer »

2Tenno Seremel:

Sorry, buddy, I do not play games under wine, I use it for my work (just one small interbank client program).
Money is the evil of all root. Be free. Use Linux.

cynwulf

#15 Post by cynwulf »

Gaming under wine, especially when DirectX is involved is almost always, glitchy, buggy and unstable. I've had limited success in the past with a few games, but all in all, it's mostly just not worth the effort (for me anyway).

pvdeynse

#16 Post by pvdeynse »

if you like to install latest Wine (Wine-unstable) binaries for Debian (Sid) go here and help yourself
current version as of today (2010-11-17) is Wine 1.3.7
http://dev.carbon-project.org/debian/wine-unstable/

bugsbunny

#17 Post by bugsbunny »

The problem the Debian maintener had/has with Wine is the gecko portion of the package. gecko is now considered as required by wine. Debian policy won't allow a package to be included in main unless it can be compiled on Debian with it's current toolchain. This wasn't possible with the version of gecko that was current when he stopped updating.

With the most recent versions of wine a new gecko has also been released and he may now be able to compile that and include it in future releases, but it's too late for squeeze. Dig through the Debian bugs and the Wine mailing list and you'll find the whole saga - I'm too lazy to try and find links at the moment.

Latest versions of wine will download the newest gecko for you (if needed), however Debian policy will still require that Debian be able to install that package on it's own.

Compiling gecko is apparently not simple and the toolchain in squeeze was too new to handle the job with the older gecko.

shmerl

#18 Post by shmerl »

What is the problem with compiling Gecko? How Firefox for Debian is compiled anyway?