Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

So what do you think about Fedora 14?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
ravisista

#1 Post by ravisista »

Anyone tried it? I tried the LXDE version of it hoping it would be fast on my old computer (512MB RAM) and boy was I wrong. Everything takes forever. I think I will stick with Lenny-XFCE or Puppy. What's your experience/opinion?

Ravi

llivv

Re: So what do you think about Fedora 14?

#2 Post by llivv »

13 Live works on an i830 chipset celeron 1.2 with kms, Full Gnome Desktop loaded and
slow as gbuss with 256 MB of ram
quite an accomplishment if you ask me.. which I doubt anyone will.......
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

MeanDean

#3 Post by MeanDean »

I try not to...

I always want to like fedora.Maybe I would if I dug into the nitty gritty but the default installs are way WAY too bloated for me.

Sadly I have never managed to do a minimal install either. I always got stuck with needing disk 2 to even install something 'minimal' or seemingly minimal. The end result never seemed very minimal either.

It has been a while since I tried fedora, and I didn't put too much effort into it, so it could just be me. That being said, I like redhat and fedora....somewhat... :wink:

nadir

#4 Post by nadir »

I guess you know, but anyway:
http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora-all
click on install CDs, open with a torrent-client and only choose to download the netinstall-CD. With that i could do an installation which was ok for me. Sossego told me that, just to tell the truth.

Besides installing i don't do much with it and it seems rather slow to me too (might well be it is me who is slow cause i don't know it well).
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

MeanDean

#5 Post by MeanDean »

the cute teddy bear showed me

damn I want netinst base install and build from there...not from bizcard install... :shock:

Actually I think I problems with that method as well although I do not recall what it was. Might of been my wireless or may have been the slow connection I had and it would of taken forever. Of course that was a couple years ago...might try again...might... :shock:

now if I can puke my way past the panda to download it...

llivv

#6 Post by llivv »

hummm recalling - - when I first spun 13,
something was broken in main libs iirc so when I tried to update the Live system it all fell apart...
Looked around the web page for about 20 minutes, found the notice
than I do with fedora like I do with sid, waited....
when it was fixed I spun 13 again and I'm glad I did...
If I get 14 and have a good report I'll let you know...

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#7 Post by canci »

ravisista wrote:Anyone tried it? I tried the LXDE version of it hoping it would be fast on my old computer (512MB RAM) and boy was I wrong. Everything takes forever. I think I will stick with Lenny-XFCE or Puppy. What's your experience/opinion?

Ravi
How is that even possible? I mean, on a Pentium 4 w/512 MB RAM I ran Linux Mint 7 with Gnome on it, and quite successfully so.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

oOarthurOo

#8 Post by oOarthurOo »

I'm using it now and really enjoying it. I decided to try it after the Debian maintainer pulled libfprint from Squeeze because it "wasn't stable", not that I could find an open bug with a grave or severe flag. But I digress.

Like Dean I've always wanted to like it, because I respect what Red Hat does for the community, and fedora's community seem like a real good bunch. But it's true that making it as lean as Debian is probably not possible. The rpm package doesn't have the depends, recommends and suggests, so some things just can't be removed only disabled.

It's still pretty lean though, my gnome desktop boots to about 144 MBs used, and that's with all the bells and whistles. Some of that is probably pulse audio, which I can't remove without completely breaking the desktop. Some of it may be SE Linux, which I never used on Debian. All in all though it's a quality and polished product. I haven't experienced any bugs or hitches as of yet. Pretty impressive when you consider how cutting edge they tend to be.

I'm going on week 3 with it, and expect to continue to use it as my primary desktop for the foreseeable future.

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#9 Post by canci »

oOarthurOo wrote:Some of that is probably pulse audio, which I can't remove without completely breaking the desktop.
This is a deal breaker for me.

Also, I sort of never seem to get the point of Fedora. It is neither very universal (like Debian, Arch or the more involving Gentoo, Slackware, ...),
nor does it seem like a very cool full-fletched desktop environment. The only target group I can think of are devs testing for RHEL. Of course,
other people might like it just fine. I sort of have a similar feeling towards openSUSE, but find it much better and more polished than Fedora.
Both distros seem very odd to use after anything apt-get (YaST/yum and their gazillion repositories seem, at least from a noob desktop POV,
very 2003. :) As for more advanced users, Debian's rich repos seem much less of a hassle -- you have everything "home made", even some
non-free stuff, and anything else is probably in debian multimedia.)
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

vicshrike

#10 Post by vicshrike »

nothing, have tried Fedora earlier around 9 or 10, wanted to like it, but always ended in a mess, never again, but I love the name though

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#11 Post by canci »

vicshrike wrote:but I love the name though
I also liked the name "Vista" and its theme ;)

READ THIS:

Coco

#12 Post by Coco »

Doesn't Lunis use Fedora?
"Giving the Linus Torvalds award to the Free Software Foundation is sort of like giving the Han Solo award to the Rebel Fleet." - Richard Stallman

My Libre.fm profile

beavenburt

#13 Post by beavenburt »

I really like fedora and it's now more stable than it's ever been. For desktop however, it's too fast moving to be useful in my opinion. There's too high a risk of breakage for it to be used on production machines. Personally I see it more as a hobbyist distro than a serious desktop os. I've never been able to get fonts displaying very well either, which is a deal breaker in a lot of distros for me. Agree though, fedora is a fantastic name.

snowpine

#14 Post by snowpine »

Actually you can get a pretty stable Fedora experience if you stay one release behind. Fedora 13 has had 6 months of bug fixes, but is not outdated or "stale" by any means.

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#15 Post by canci »

snowpine wrote:Actually you can get a pretty stable Fedora experience if you stay one release behind. Fedora 13 has had 6 months of bug fixes, but is not outdated or "stale" by any means.
Just like sticking to only upgrading to Ubuntu Point Releases, or staying with a Long Term Release once it gets to a Point Release.

READ THIS:

Soul Singin'

#16 Post by Soul Singin' »

ravisista wrote:So what do you think about Fedora 14?
Wow. There's a thread on this forum about another GNU/Linux operating system and its name is not Ubuntu :!:

Has this forum matured? Or is this thread the exception that proves the rule?

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#17 Post by canci »

Soul Singin' wrote:
ravisista wrote:So what do you think about Fedora 14?
Wow. There's a thread on this forum about another GNU/Linux operating system and its name is not Ubuntu :!:

Or maybe it's that Fedora changed something more obvious, and not its scheduler, boot order or whatnot? ;)

READ THIS:

drl

#18 Post by drl »

Hi.

I track the popular distributions, installed in a "virtual machine server" using VMWare on top of (currently) Debian 5.

I used the PreUpgrade method to upgrade from 13 to 14: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading . It took a long time, but seems to have been successful:

Code: Select all

up  3:37,  6 users: Fedora release 14 (Laughlin)on Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.80GHz
I haven't had it running long enough to see if there are any problems, but I used yum to update it after it came up, and I have re-booted a few times. I ran a few quick confidence tests on gcc and gfortran; they were correct.

All in all, OK except for the time required ... cheers, drl
["Sure, I can help you with that." -- USBank voice recognition system.
( Mn, 2.6.x, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 3 GB, SATA + IDE, NV34 )
Debian Wiki | Packages | Backports | Netinstall

sossego

#19 Post by sossego »

Fedora is a resource hog.
You can build it like debian but it isn't as easy.
After FC5, I ditched it for the most part.
Now, it's for a quick install or because of networking or other hardware.
Let my desire and hope surpass my expectations;
And give me the strength to persevere through doubt.
Grant me the wisdom to exceed my bounds.
Let my eyes always see through the dream fog of childhood,
so that every moment may be treasured.

llivv

#20 Post by llivv »

Soul Singin' wrote:Wow. There's a thread on this forum about another GNU/Linux operating system and its name is not Ubuntu
I think I'm getting a headache (again) from the circular logic...
Only this time it's not my own "logic?" causing the discomfort...
I'm rootin an tootin for the fedora thread......
But I seriously doubt anyone gives an iota what I think..... Do they......
Is anyone else getting dizzy?