Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Squeeze vs Wheezy

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
loxienouis

Squeeze vs Wheezy

#1 Post by loxienouis »

First. I am a Debian noob, so please pardon my ignorance. But when Squeeze goes from 'testing' to 'stable' in December... does Wheezy get promoted from 'sid/unstable' to 'testing' at the same time?.

I started my life in Linux with and currently use Ubuntu, and it runs decent(barely). However, I just upgraded to Ubuntu 10.10, and because of strange little issues and increasing bloatware, I have been forced to strongly consider the "mother OS": Debian.

The reason for my original question is that I want to run whatever the current "testing version" is. And if Wheezy gets promoted at the same time Squeeze does, then I will just wait the 4 weeks instead of slogging through another install(I prefer fresh installations vs upgrading within). I know the test versions of Debian are a bit more active than stable, but I have used Ubuntu for over 2 years, so I have some experience dealing with Terminal commands, package management, gnome, etc...I am also currently VirtualBoxing a copy of Squeeze.

Thanks.

MeanDean

Re: Squeeze vs Wheezy

#2 Post by MeanDean »

December my ass....holidays....nothing happens around the holidays....

wheezy is not sid/unstable

sid is always sid

wheezy is the codename for the next stable release and 'testing' is where work on wheezy will occur once testing/squeeze becomes stable/squeeze

you better run back to ubutnut....faster rather than slower :wink:

friTTe

#3 Post by friTTe »

we love the mother Os :)
10.10 started to get very bloat, and not talking about Unity coming =\

loxienouis

#4 Post by loxienouis »

friTTe wrote:we love the mother Os :)
10.10 started to get very bloat, and not talking about Unity coming =\
You just touched on something with Unity. Once 11.04 with Unity as its prime desktop is released...I feel that OS's like Mint, Debian and RedHat are gonna take a huge cut out of their users. Remember they were gonna replace Gnome2 with Gnome-Shell(gnome3), but instead opted for Unity ? Bad choice either way.

As for Squeeze going stable. I read on wikipedia that its going to happen on Christmas. So I can assume from your comments MeanDean, that Wheezy will take its place at about the same time?? I know wikipedia's info isnt always 100% accurate though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian#Release_history

MeanDean

#5 Post by MeanDean »

when squeeze is released as stable then testing will have a new codename.....that codename is wheezy....

nadir

#6 Post by nadir »

loxienouis wrote: The reason for my original question is that I want to run whatever the current "testing version" is. And if Wheezy gets promoted at the same time Squeeze does, then I will just wait the 4 weeks instead of slogging through another install(I prefer fresh installations vs upgrading within). I know the test versions of Debian are a bit more active than stable, but I have used Ubuntu for over 2 years, so I have some experience dealing with Terminal commands, package management, gnome, etc...I am also currently VirtualBoxing a copy of Squeeze.
Thanks.
Three notes:
a) If you want to run testing, install it now. Make sure you got testing in /etc/apt/sources.list (and not squeeze) and you will run testing till the day the world falls in pieces (now and after the freeze and after the next freeze and so on).
b) prefering a fresh installation over an upgrade might make a lot of sense with Ubuntu. The "Debian Gnu/Linux" upgrades are rather painless.
c) "a bit more active " is understated. It is *active* (and that can become annoying).

Check here for the whole subject of what happens when (when and how becomes testing stable, and how do packages get from unstable to testing):
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debia ... tml#s3.1.9
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

BioTube

#7 Post by BioTube »

Debian's notorious for its ability to be upgraded without breaking - I've seen people talking about systems they originally installed as Woody(haven't seen anybody upgrading all the way from Buzz, though). Anyway, there won't be any major changes coming for a while after Squeeze is released - it hasn't been frozen that long(and breaking testing is all but forbidden).
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.