Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

SOLVED - audio cds won't mount. data and dvd are ok

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Polaris96

SOLVED - audio cds won't mount. data and dvd are ok

#1 Post by Polaris96 »

Running a Squeeze/Sid e17 platform on AMD Athlon single core w/ 2.6.30 amd64 custom kernel.

I've had some sound issues, which i was able to fix (tyvm nadir and bro tiag). Had been playing Cds on kaffeine(xine) for about 3 days. At some point, the player stopped playing and flashed a "no cd available" msgbox. I haven't been able to get the system to recognize audio Cds since.

The system will play dvds and data cds with no problems.

I can't manually mount audio cds, either. I have already tried the following:

1. reinstalled kaffeine
2. tried different players (alsaplayer, audacity)
3. reinstalled udev and hal (both from squeeze)
4. removed and re-probed the modules for isofs and udf
5. restarted the WM and tried audio from LXDE
6. rebooted the system and tried everything again.

My lenny partition still plays audio cds np, so I know it's not a wacky hardware issue.

here's some code from an attempt at manually mounting an audio cd:

Code: Select all

:/# mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom1 /mnt
mount: block device /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sr0,
       missing codepage or helper program, or other error
       In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
       dmesg | tail  or so

:~$ dmesg | tail
[10643.373073] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 25
[10643.394133] sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
[10643.394141] sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] Sense Key : Illegal Request [current] 
[10643.394146] sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] Add. Sense: Illegal mode for this track
[10643.394154] end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 128
[10704.495772] sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
[10704.495779] sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] Sense Key : Illegal Request [current] 
[10704.495784] sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] Add. Sense: Illegal mode for this track
[10704.495792] end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 64
[10704.495878] isofs_fill_super: bread failed, dev=sr0, iso_blknum=16, block=16
Last edited by Polaris96 on 2009-11-15 22:54, edited 1 time in total.
for as long as the world remains. for as long as time remains. so, too, will I remain. To serve. To help. And to make my contribution. Also, never forget our family at debianuserforums.org If we can't solve your problem, they probably can.

Polaris96

Re: audio cds won't mount. data and dvd are ok

#2 Post by Polaris96 »

Just booted into the vanilla 2.6.30amd64 kernel. No dice. Still broken. I guess I'm going to start grabbing packages from sid: mount udev hal in that order and hope for the best.

It's really bugging me that CD audio WAS working. Seems there should be a hook without changing versions.
for as long as the world remains. for as long as time remains. so, too, will I remain. To serve. To help. And to make my contribution. Also, never forget our family at debianuserforums.org If we can't solve your problem, they probably can.

Polaris96

#3 Post by Polaris96 »

ok mount is the same package in squeeze and sid so no dice, there. Gonna try Sid udev but I'm worried about this bc i think udev would be calling mount and if mount's bad...

Hey this is starting to look like a bug report. Anybody got ideas? bueller? bueller? anyonnnnnnneeee??

Polaris96

#4 Post by Polaris96 »

updating udev did no good

julian67

#5 Post by julian67 »

It's probably an issue with the audiocd kio slave (but am not a KDE user so check this). An audio CD doesn't really get mounted as it doesn't have a mountable file system so mount (the tool) won't be the issue, nor should it be a kernel issue. The relevant package is kdemultimedia-kio-plugins.
Wisdom from my inbox: "do not mock at your pottenocy"

Polaris96

#6 Post by Polaris96 »

Going to try it, julian, but I doubt it's a DE issue because mount's failing manually. I've never seen a supported filesystem that couldn't be mounted from CLI with an explicit mount command.

The kernel messages are sscaring the crap out me (ref the dmesg output). Anyway, we'll see. It wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong...

julian67

#7 Post by julian67 »

Polaris96 wrote:Going to try it, julian, but I doubt it's a DE issue because mount's failing manually. I've never seen a supported filesystem that couldn't be mounted from CLI with an explicit mount command.

The kernel messages are sscaring the crap out me (ref the dmesg output). Anyway, we'll see. It wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong...

Audio CDs don't contain a supported filesystem and cannot be mounted (manually or otherwise) and the kernel messages are normal. The audiocd kio slave (or similar according to your DE) presents the audio CD to you via the vfs and file manager as though it has been mounted but this is an abstraction.

So when you use

Code: Select all

mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom1 /mnt
it cannot work because an audio CD is not an iso9660 filesystem. iso9660 is a (data) CD-ROM filesystem standard while an audio CD complies to IEC 60908 (Red Book) and cannot be mounted.

edit: there are a few audio CDs which can be mounted but this is because they are not Red Book compliant (they are not genuine audio CDs and do not display the CD logo) and are usually either nasty copy-protected crap or mixed mode CDs.
Wisdom from my inbox: "do not mock at your pottenocy"

Polaris96

#8 Post by Polaris96 »

damn that was a very good answer. Thanks julian. I didn't know there was a different standard for audio on cds. Now I'm VERY optimistic. Will post again soon hopefully this'll be fixed. ....it's embarrasing how little I know about multimedia...

Polaris96

#9 Post by Polaris96 »

still not working although things are blinking and grinding a bit more with the install of kde's entire multimedia suite.

do you know of a CLI based cd player that I can try to check ihis out?

Polaris96

#10 Post by Polaris96 »

ok back in business. Somehow libcdaudio wasn't installed. The weird part was that neither kde's kio slave package or even the entire kde-multimedia package felt it was a dependency. :lol:

Finally grabbed it as a dependency by installing the CLI program cdcd. Now all is cool again. btw cdcd is brutally crude but it's a green phosphor old school CLI dream. I'm keeping it.

Thanks Julian, your advice was missing piece i needed to fix this.

Cheers I owe you a newcastle.

carm25

Re: SOLVED - audio cds won't mount. data and dvd are ok

#11 Post by carm25 »

It is a symbolic link problem, this should fix it. For some reason all the symbolic links have a "1" at the end!

root@debian:~# ln -s /dev/sr0 /dev/cdrom
root@debian:~# ln -s /dev/sr0 /dev/cdrw
root@debian:~# ln -s /dev/sr0 /dev/dvd
root@debian:~# ln -s /dev/sr0 /dev/dvdrw

Mark

carm25

Re: SOLVED - audio cds won't mount. data and dvd are ok

#12 Post by carm25 »

Okay well that worked until I rebooted the computer and UDEV took over! LOL! :twisted: UDEV rewrites the "/dev" folder on boot erasing any symbolic links you may put in the folder, so here is the fix for that.

Make a backup of "/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules" I do this by putting a "~" in front and behind the file name letting me know that is the original backup file.

Now you are going to edit "/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules" Your file will look slightly different, but look for the block that has "cdrom1" "cdrw1" "dvd1" and "dvdrw1" copy the entire block and paste it just below. Remove the 1's behind "cdrom1" "cdrw1" "dvd1" and "dvdrw1"in the block that you just pasted in. Save the file and reboot your computer.

This is what my file looked like after i edited it, notice the second block where I did all the editing:

/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules
# Memorex_DVD16+_-DL4RWlD2 (pci-0000:00:1f.1)
SUBSYSTEM=="block", ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:1f.1", SYMLINK+="cdrom", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
SUBSYSTEM=="block", ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:1f.1", SYMLINK+="cdrw", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
SUBSYSTEM=="block", ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:1f.1", SYMLINK+="dvd", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
SUBSYSTEM=="block", ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:1f.1", SYMLINK+="dvdrw", ENV{GENERATED}="1"

# DVD16+_-DL4RWlD2 (pci-0000:00:1f.1-scsi-1:0:0:0)
SUBSYSTEM=="block", ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:1f.1-scsi-1:0:0:0", SYMLINK+="cdrom1", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
SUBSYSTEM=="block", ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:1f.1-scsi-1:0:0:0", SYMLINK+="cdrw1", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
SUBSYSTEM=="block", ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:1f.1-scsi-1:0:0:0", SYMLINK+="dvd1", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
SUBSYSTEM=="block", ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:1f.1-scsi-1:0:0:0", SYMLINK+="dvdrw1", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
SUBSYSTEM=="block", ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:1f.1-scsi-1:0:0:0", SYMLINK+="cdrom", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
SUBSYSTEM=="block", ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:1f.1-scsi-1:0:0:0", SYMLINK+="cdrw", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
SUBSYSTEM=="block", ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:1f.1-scsi-1:0:0:0", SYMLINK+="dvd", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
SUBSYSTEM=="block", ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:1f.1-scsi-1:0:0:0", SYMLINK+="dvdrw", ENV{GENERATED}="1"

# DVD16+_-DL4RWlD2 (pci-0000:00:1f.1-scsi-2:0:0:0)
SUBSYSTEM=="block", ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:1f.1-scsi-2:0:0:0", SYMLINK+="cdrom2", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
SUBSYSTEM=="block", ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:1f.1-scsi-2:0:0:0", SYMLINK+="cdrw2", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
SUBSYSTEM=="block", ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:1f.1-scsi-2:0:0:0", SYMLINK+="dvd2", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
SUBSYSTEM=="block", ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:1f.1-scsi-2:0:0:0", SYMLINK+="dvdrw2", ENV{GENERATED}="1"

Good Luck
Mark