Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian Squeeze: eth0 connects but I don't have internet

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
mvdan

Debian Squeeze: eth0 connects but I don't have internet

#1 Post by mvdan »

I know people should use google and the forum search to solve that kind of "easy" questions, but I'd like to say I already spent two hours trying to solve it by my own :( So sorry if there's already the same exact question somewhere around the internet :)

Resuming my situation, I installed Debian Squeeze on my system two days ago, using a wired connection to internet (which worked fine). After that, I had to install the non-free wireless package in order to scan wireless networks. It now works fine, and I can connect and get to internet. But with wired connection, i connect via eth0 and none of my applications work. And they're not in offline mode.

Also, i already went here: http://wiki.debian.org/NetworkManager and I checked if that was my case. I tryed what they say several times in some different ways, but I still can't connect. Even more, if I change something like they say, I get "unmanaged device" and I can't even connect to the internet. And the wired connection works, I'm using it right now on my ubuntu 10.10.

If you want more information, I just tried to ping sites like google.com or youtube.com using network preferences and it does work, it gets 100% of the packages back around 50ms later, so the internet appears to work. Also, when I connect via wireless, everything works perfectly.

If you need them, here are the contents of:

/etc/network/interfaces (it was like this after installation):

# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
# NetworkManager
iface eth0 inet dhcp

and /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf (it was like this after installation)

[main]
plugins=ifupdown,keyfile

no-auto-default=00:a0:d1:ad:18:1a,

[ifupdown]
managed=true

I would be very grateful if anybody could help :D

Thanks a million!!

Hornet

Re: Debian Squeeze: eth0 connects but I don't have internet

#2 Post by Hornet »

You could give Wicd a go and remove NM. Wireless and NM didn't play well together initially on my system. With Wicd everything worked. I didn't even had to configure things.
Niels Bohr wrote:The best weapon of a dictatorship is secrecy, but the best weapon of a democracy should be the weapon of openness.

emariz

#3 Post by emariz »

In Testing, Network Manager was updated twice during the last ten days, and as of version 0.8.1-4 (1) it no longer needs manual intervention to manage the devices already specified in /etc/network/interfaces. I bet that the online resources has not been updated and they still recommend to change the configuration files manually.
It works as expected with these settings:

Code: Select all

cat /etc/network/interfaces
# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
#NetworkManager#iface eth0 inet dhcp

Code: Select all

cat /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf

[main]
plugins=ifupdown,keyfile

no-auto-default=00:26:9e:53:37:8b,

[ifupdown]
managed=false
1. http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/p ... ion0.8.1-4

mvdan

#4 Post by mvdan »

Thanks to all of you! I'll try both them when I get home and I'll post a comment later!
Unstable 'Sid' amd64 - Awesome WM - https://gitorious.org/~mvdan
Richard M. Stallman wrote:We can't take the future of freedom for granted. Don't take it for granted! If you want to keep your freedom, you must be prepared for it.

mvdan

#5 Post by mvdan »

As it turns out, i did have internet, but I still don't know why some programs can't access the network.
For example, Chromium-browser, skype, the terminal emulator and synaptic have internet, but empathy, iceweasel or epiphany just give connection errors :S

Any ideas about what could be happening? And it didn't just happen to me in one debian installation, i installed another debian testing/sid and without doing anything (just upgrading) exactly the same happens...
Richard M. Stallman wrote:We can't take the future of freedom for granted. Don't take it for granted! If you want to keep your freedom, you must be prepared for it.

Gary K

#6 Post by Gary K »

Install wireshark and see where the traffic is going, and where it's failing when you try using the apps that aren't working correctly. If you can't read the output, save it and attach the file to a post and I'll read it for you.

I ran into some very strange networking behavior when upgrading a couple of my machines from Lenny to Squeeze the other day so I'll be curious to see what the solution is.

mvdan

#7 Post by mvdan »

I really appreciate your help, and I'd like to give it a try, but right now I'm using a wireless connection and I can't test it :(

But I'll try to connect via ethernet soon, I'll let you know :) I'll answer as soon as I can!

Thanks!

llivv

#8 Post by llivv »

are you running squeeze or sid like you said in your other thread?
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=59968
DanielMarti wrote:I've been using debian unstable for some months, and after some problems I've been having with the nvidia non-free drivers and pulseaudio, I decided to do a new fresh install. As in the first time, I used a netinst CD, and all went ok. The first three times it booted perfectly, with gnome and all the apps, without problems. I updated the system with the unstable repositories, and I went home (i was somewhere else).
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

mvnetn

#9 Post by mvnetn »

I recently switched to Squeeze and have encountered the same connection problem. Does anyone know why I get the unknown interface for eth0 in the following:-

root@notwin:/# ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:15:f2:07:96:73
inet addr:192.168.2.6 Bcast:192.168.2.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::215:f2ff:fe07:9673/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:21035 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:9967 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
RX bytes:14685492 (14.0 MiB) TX bytes:862358 (842.1 KiB)

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:147 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:147 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:16350 (15.9 KiB) TX bytes:16350 (15.9 KiB)

root@notwin:/# ifup eth0
Ignoring unknown interface eth0=eth0.
root@notwin:/# ifup 192.168.2.6
Ignoring unknown interface 192.168.2.6=192.168.2.6.
root@notwin:/# ping 192.168.2.6
PING 192.168.2.6 (192.168.2.6) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 192.168.2.6: icmp_req=1 ttl=64 time=0.037 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.2.6: icmp_req=2 ttl=64 time=0.028 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.2.6: icmp_req=3 ttl=64 time=0.028 ms

Gary K

#10 Post by Gary K »

DanielMarti wrote:I really appreciate your help, and I'd like to give it a try, but right now I'm using a wireless connection and I can't test it :(

But I'll try to connect via ethernet soon, I'll let you know :) I'll answer as soon as I can!

Thanks!
Wireshark works with both wired and wireless interfaces. Just choose the wireless interface for it to monitor.

Gary K

#11 Post by Gary K »

mvnetn wrote:I recently switched to Squeeze and have encountered the same connection problem. Does anyone know why I get the unknown interface for eth0 in the following:-

root@notwin:/# ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:15:f2:07:96:73
inet addr:192.168.2.6 Bcast:192.168.2.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::215:f2ff:fe07:9673/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:21035 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:9967 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
RX bytes:14685492 (14.0 MiB) TX bytes:862358 (842.1 KiB)

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:147 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:147 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:16350 (15.9 KiB) TX bytes:16350 (15.9 KiB)

root@notwin:/# ifup eth0
Ignoring unknown interface eth0=eth0.
root@notwin:/# ifup 192.168.2.6
Ignoring unknown interface 192.168.2.6=192.168.2.6.
root@notwin:/# ping 192.168.2.6
PING 192.168.2.6 (192.168.2.6) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 192.168.2.6: icmp_req=1 ttl=64 time=0.037 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.2.6: icmp_req=2 ttl=64 time=0.028 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.2.6: icmp_req=3 ttl=64 time=0.028 ms
I don't know why you get that error. I ran into the same problems upgrading two Lenny machines to Squeeze that had 5 nics between them. It completely fried one nic, a D-link DFE 530tx which used the 3c59x module, which is a very common nic and has been around for years. I really don't know what it was that I did that finally got mine all going. I do know that I had to use dhcp to configure one of the newer 530tx nics that uses the via-rhine module. I could not bring the interface up as long as it was configured with a static IP address. The rest of the nics finally just started working, but that was after I spent a full day working on this trying everything I could think of. I must have configured/reconfigured all those nics 20 times and rebooted the machines a dozen times. (I rebooted machines because I found out that the nic's would come up for a short time after a reboot, then quit working even though ifupdown would they were configured and ifconfig showed them having ip addresses.)

The network configuration finally just started working even though I hadn't done anything different, but just kept on doing things over, and over again. Why that worked I have no idea, but it did.

This is a major problem for squeeze. I would have filed a bug report, but I don't have any idea as to what to file the bug against.

mvdan

#12 Post by mvdan »

llivv wrote:are you running squeeze or sid like you said in your other thread?
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=59968
DanielMarti wrote:I've been using debian unstable for some months, and after some problems I've been having with the nvidia non-free drivers and pulseaudio, I decided to do a new fresh install. As in the first time, I used a netinst CD, and all went ok. The first three times it booted perfectly, with gnome and all the apps, without problems. I updated the system with the unstable repositories, and I went home (i was somewhere else).
At the moment I posted this topic I was using squeeze when it was testing, but I changed to Sid untable thinking that it may be solved. But it is not solved, the problem is still the same.

mvdan

#13 Post by mvdan »

Gary K wrote:
DanielMarti wrote:I really appreciate your help, and I'd like to give it a try, but right now I'm using a wireless connection and I can't test it :(

Thanks!
Wireshark works with both wired and wireless interfaces. Just choose the wireless interface for it to monitor.
The problem only occurs when I'm connected to a wired network, when I'm connected to the internet via wireless everything works fine :)

Just now I have wired internet, I'll give it a try and I will post my results as soon as possible.