Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Grub2 splash screen question.

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
62chevy

Grub2 splash screen question.

#1 Post by 62chevy »

I need to reboot my computer a couple of days ago and noticed that nice new space fun splash screen instead of my B1-B Bomber. I believe the change was made in /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme. I know that recently grub2 was updated during a aptitude full-upgrade. So I'm thinking that file must have been replaced, probably with me saying yes. You know one of those ya sure go for it moments.

I did some searches and everyone is saying that is the place to make the change. This just doesn't seam right because files in /etc get changed all the time so I did some looking around and found this /usr/share/desktop-base/grub_background.sh.
WALLPAPER=/usr/share/images/desktop-base/desktop-splash
COLOR_NORMAL=light-gray/black
COLOR_HIGHLIGHT=white/black
So I changed WALLPAPER=/usr/share/images/desktop-base/desktop-splash to /usr/share/images/grub/corsair.tga. Then did an update-grub and rebooted to see my changes. It worked.

My question is would this be the most correct way to change the grub splash screen than in /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme.

The complete change. And of course corsair.tga is a picture I found on the internet and converted using gimp.
WALLPAPER=/usr/share/images/grub/corsair.tga
COLOR_NORMAL=dark-gray/black
COLOR_HIGHLIGHT=white/black
Any comments for or against are welcome.
Debian Buster

fsmithred

Re: Grub2 splash screen question.

#2 Post by fsmithred »

Three or four ways to do it are described here:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=58239

A few days ago, I noticed that the rocket ship is gone. It looks better without it.

nadir

#3 Post by nadir »

62chevy: I did some looking around and found this /usr/share/desktop-base/grub_background.sh.
So I changed WALLPAPER=/usr/share/images/desktop-base/desktop-splash to /usr/share/images/grub/corsair.tga. Then did an update-grub and rebooted to see my changes. It worked.
My question is would this be the most correct way to change the grub splash screen than in /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme.
That is how i do it too (after some searching).
It doesn't seem to work always. In that case i follow the advice by fsmithred in the thread:
update-alternatives --config desktop-grub

On a site note:
on my main PC i can't set a grub-png at all (which is ok for me, but still a bit strange it is so "difficult". I checked all possible and impossible files).

Short: i do it the way you do it. In:
/usr/share/desktop-base/grub_background.sh.
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

62chevy

#4 Post by 62chevy »

fsmithred wrote:Three or four ways to do it are described here:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=58239

A few days ago, I noticed that the rocket ship is gone. It looks better without it.
One of the things I always liked about linux was being able to set it up the way I wanted to. Thanks for the input guys it was helpful.
Debian Buster

phenest

#5 Post by phenest »

62chevy wrote:My question is would this be the most correct way to change the grub splash screen than in /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme.
Actually, there's a file there called 40_custom. You make your changes there. This prevents any updating from resetting your changes.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D