Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Lenovo Touchscreen calibration

Need help with peripherals or devices?
rdonnelly

Lenovo Touchscreen calibration

#1 Post by rdonnelly »

I have a Lenovo A700 ideacentre with a touch screen monitor. I was looking at xinput_calibrator, but there is no package for my 64 bit Linux Mint Debian Gnome system at http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Softwar ... calibrator Is there another way to calibrate this. When I touch the monitor all I am able to do is bring up the menu for "add to panel".

Looking forward to any help or suggestions.

TIA Bob
The OS: Linux Mint Debian 64 Gnome
The Hardware: 3.7 GB Memory, Processor x 4 = Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M430 @ 2.27GHz
The Name: Bob

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

Re: Lenovo Touchscreen calibration

#2 Post by mzilikazi »

Use the source Luke?

I needed these packages before it would build

Code: Select all

apt-get install libtool autoconf2.13 libxext-dev libxi-dev unp

wget https://github.com/downloads/tias/xinput_calibrator/xinput_calibrator-0.7.5.tar.gz
unp xinput_calibrator-0.7.5.tar.gz
cd xinput_calibrator-0.7.5
./autogen.sh --with-gui --prefix=/usr
./configure --prefix=/usr
make
If you made it without errors the executable lives in xinput_calibrator-0.7.5/src

src/xinput_calibrator

I used checkinstall instead of make install

$ which xinput_calibrator
/usr/bin/xinput_calibrator

I don't have any devices to configure so no chance to test it out....
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G

rdonnelly

#3 Post by rdonnelly »

Thanks for trying but I got errors.
Attachments
Screenshot-1.png
Screenshot-1.png (68.04 KiB) Viewed 10637 times
The Hardware: 3.7 GB Memory, Processor x 4 = Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M430 @ 2.27GHz

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#4 Post by mzilikazi »

rdonnelly wrote:Thanks for trying but I got errors.
Doh! My bad - wget won't grab that file. Just click the link or put the entire string in your web browser:

https://github.com/downloads/tias/xinpu ... 7.5.tar.gz

That should download the file.
Debian Sid Laptops:

rdonnelly

#5 Post by rdonnelly »

mzilikazi wrote:
rdonnelly wrote:Thanks for trying but I got errors.
Doh! My bad - wget won't grab that file. Just click the link or put the entire string in your web browser:

https://github.com/downloads/tias/xinpu ... 7.5.tar.gz

That should download the file.
Thanks again, but I don't know how to install a tar file?

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#6 Post by mzilikazi »

Thanks again, but I don't know how to install a tar file?
OK let's start again.

A file named something.tar.gz is just a compressed archive similar to a .zip file.

Click the link and save this file to your hard drive

https://github.com/downloads/tias/xinput_calibrator/xinput_calibrator-0.7.5.tar.gz
Now, unpack the tar.gz file

unp xinput_calibrator-0.7.5.tar.gz
Now there is a new directory named xinput_calibrator-0.7.5
Change into that directory:

cd xinput_calibrator-0.7.5
Now you actually build the software:

./autogen.sh --with-gui --prefix=/usr
./configure --prefix=/usr
make
If you get no errors you should be able to run the application right from the directory you're in:

src/xinput_calibrator
Normally the next step is make install but on a Debian system you want to avoid that when possible.
You can do either:
A) Not install the package and run it from the directory
B) Use checkinstall

su
apt-get install checkinstall
checkinstall
Post any errors you get in the terminal.
Debian Sid Laptops:

rdonnelly

#7 Post by rdonnelly »

Thanks that went well, I assume I can use this procedure any time I want to install a tar? Are the files now in Bin and other pertinent locations?

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#8 Post by mzilikazi »

rdonnelly wrote:Thanks that went well,
Congrats - you compiled software on Linux. :)
I assume I can use this procedure any time I want to install a tar?
It's mostly the same when compiling a piece of software. Sometimes you need autogen.sh and sometimes not. Almost always there is a file named INSTALL and/or README in the source directory that explains how to build it.
Are the files now in Bin and other pertinent locations?
If you used checkinstall then everything is contained within the .deb package you created. You can see what's in the file (and where the files contained within are placed) with dpkg

dpkg -c xinput-calibrator_0.7.5-1_amd64.deb 
You can also see where any binary lives with the which command

$ which xinput_calibrator
/usr/bin/xinput_calibrator
So ....were you able to calibrate the screen OK?
Debian Sid Laptops:

rdonnelly

#9 Post by rdonnelly »

You are a good teacher, easy to understand, you don't explain as if your talking to some one that knows what you are talking about. Any ways the calibrator would bring up one cross hair on the left, I press it then it brings one up on the right, I press it and nothing happens any more. I think the drivers for my touchscreen need more work. If I touch my browser I am typing to you with, it brings up my Oracle VM virtualbox app that was minimized, I touch the VM virtualbox app and it maximized the browser? I open a terminal, touch it, and it multiplies into 12. So something needs work here, and I thought it just needed calibration?

rdonnelly

#10 Post by rdonnelly »

Here is a terminal message I got when I entered my password:

[sudo] password for bob:
Warning: multiple calibratable devices found, calibrating last one (Elo TouchSystems Elo TouchSystems 2515 IntelliTouch Plus USB Touchmonitor)
use --device to select another one.
Calibrating EVDEV driver for "Elo TouchSystems Elo TouchSystems 2515 IntelliTouch Plus USB Touchmonitor" id=11
current calibration values (from XInput): min_x=0, max_x=4095 and min_y=0, max_y=4095

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#11 Post by mzilikazi »

rdonnelly wrote:Here is a terminal message I got when I entered my password:

[sudo] password for bob:
Warning: multiple calibratable devices found, calibrating last one (Elo TouchSystems Elo TouchSystems 2515 IntelliTouch Plus USB Touchmonitor)
use --device to select another one.
Calibrating EVDEV driver for "Elo TouchSystems Elo TouchSystems 2515 IntelliTouch Plus USB Touchmonitor" id=11
current calibration values (from XInput): min_x=0, max_x=4095 and min_y=0, max_y=4095
sudo isn't necessary to run the calibration tool.

Looks like it's finding multiple displays - you can see what it finds like so:

$ xinput_calibrator --list
Then when you find the device you wish to configure pass it as an argument:

$ xinput_calibrator --device <device name or id>
I also have an ELO model ET1529L touch screen. The xinput config tool worked perfectly!

~$ xinput_calibrator 
Calibrating EVDEV driver for "Elo TouchSystems, Inc. Elo TouchSystems 2700 IntelliTouch(r) USB Touchmonitor Interface" id=10

Doing dynamic recalibration:
	Setting new calibration data: 7, 4043, 10, 4068

--> Making the calibration permanent <--
  Install the 'xinput' tool and copy the command(s) below in a script that starts with your X session
    xinput set-int-prop "Elo TouchSystems, Inc. Elo TouchSystems 2700 IntelliTouch(r) USB Touchmonitor Interface" "Evdev Axis Calibration" 32 7 4043 10 4068
I had a few 'mis-clicks detected' when running the config utility. The solution was to press the screen only once and on the target - it took a few tries but worked eventually.

* Note for anyone else that may read this thread - I had to install these prior to setting up the ELO screen:

apt-get install xserver-xorg-input-evtouch xinput
The screen used was connected to a laptop via VGA (for video of course) & USB for the touch controls. I was NOT able to control the device over serial via USB to serial adadpter.
Debian Sid Laptops:

rdonnelly

#12 Post by rdonnelly »

The program tries to configure the ELO Touch as per the terminal output, at the second crosshair it will not accept my input on one touch, times out and closes the program?

I did do the: apt-get install xserver-xorg-input-evtouch xinput

Here is the terminal:
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (49.33 KiB) Viewed 10573 times

Device "HID 0a5c:4502" id=8 is my keyboard

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#13 Post by mzilikazi »

You can try adding this option:

--misclick

So something like;

xinput_calibrator --misclick 0
A suggestion for copy/paste from a terminal.

In Windows, you have to hit CTRL+C to copy something to clipboard. Not so in Linux, just highlight it then it's already on the clipboard. To paste use middle click OR if you have only 2 buttons (trackpad for example) press BOTH buttons together for middle click. This wil paste your terminal output.
Debian Sid Laptops:

rdonnelly

#14 Post by rdonnelly »

mzilikazi wrote:You can try adding this option:

--misclick

So something like;

xinput_calibrator --misclick 0
A suggestion for copy/paste from a terminal.

In Windows, you have to hit CTRL+C to copy something to clipboard. Not so in Linux, just highlight it then it's already on the clipboard. To paste use middle click OR if you have only 2 buttons (trackpad for example) press BOTH buttons together for middle click. This wil paste your terminal output.
I know about the middle click, another reason to never go back to windoze. I tried

$ xinput_calibrator --misclick 0
I am still getting the same results, only the first crosshair works? Oh Well?

Do you really use the touchscreen, or is it just a novelty?

PS, just figured out how to do "Code" in my posts. :mrgreen:

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#15 Post by mzilikazi »

rdonnelly wrote:
I actually have nearly 100 of these nifty little ELO screens deployed and driven by WYSE thin clients running Slackware Linux. The interface only consists of a few large buttons and there is no possibility for the end user to launch any applications or even get to a command prompt (virtual terminal). The device is used to control electronic signage via Xbee radios. We are using ELO's utility to calibrate the screens but it's only for kernel version 2.6.24 or older. I had been meaning to test the ELO on a laptop as well however and just never got around to it. Perhaps we'll move forward with this configuration utility in the next version of our application.

As for the application failure - I would have to defer to the developers at this point. There is a bug tracker/issues page:

https://github.com/tias/xinput_calibrator/issues
Debian Sid Laptops:

rdonnelly

#16 Post by rdonnelly »

mzilikazi wrote:
rdonnelly wrote:
I actually have nearly 100 of these nifty little ELO screens deployed and driven by WYSE thin clients running Slackware Linux. The interface only consists of a few large buttons and there is no possibility for the end user to launch any applications or even get to a command prompt (virtual terminal). The device is used to control electronic signage via Xbee radios. We are using ELO's utility to calibrate the screens but it's only for kernel version 2.6.24 or older. I had been meaning to test the ELO on a laptop as well however and just never got around to it. Perhaps we'll move forward with this configuration utility in the next version of our application.

As for the application failure - I would have to defer to the developers at this point. There is a bug tracker/issues page:

https://github.com/tias/xinput_calibrator/issues
So, you think it may be a bug?

I am able to use the Elo Touch in Oracle Virtual Machine with a Windoze 7 guest.
Thanks for all your help and education, I think I will let this problem ride for a while until I see an update in the update notification.

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#17 Post by mzilikazi »

rdonnelly wrote:
So, you think it may be a bug?

I am able to use the Elo Touch in Oracle Virtual Machine with a Windoze 7 guest.
Thanks for all your help and education, I think I will let this problem ride for a while until I see an update in the update notification.
I don't know that it's a bug but that is the only place I've seen that would resemble some sort of support forum. As for the update notification - if it didn't come from a Debian repository you won't get a notification. That's not to say that you cannot track the development and build the latest version though. :)
Debian Sid Laptops:

rdonnelly

#18 Post by rdonnelly »

mzilikazi wrote: I don't know that it's a bug but that is the only place I've seen that would resemble some sort of support forum. As for the update notification - if it didn't come from a Debian repository you won't get a notification. That's not to say that you cannot track the development and build the latest version though. :)
Thanks, I will give it a go there, if I get it working I will report back with the findings.

rdonnelly

#19 Post by rdonnelly »

As I said in a previous post, I am only able to hit the first crosshair in calibration. I found out today, my mouse can hit all 4. It seems the mouse is getting priority over the touchscreen?

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#20 Post by mzilikazi »

rdonnelly wrote:As I said in a previous post, I am only able to hit the first crosshair in calibration. I found out today, my mouse can hit all 4. It seems the mouse is getting priority over the touchscreen?
I noticed this in an earlier post
Your screen is getting calibration values from somewhere. Xinput yes but where does it get the values from exactly?
At the moment I'm nowhere near a touchscreen and don't really have a way of looking into that.
Debian Sid Laptops: