Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] No event sounds in XFCE 4.6.2 on Sid

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
TobiSGD

[SOLVED] No event sounds in XFCE 4.6.2 on Sid

#1 Post by TobiSGD »

I recently gave XFCE a try, after using Openbox for a long time and I really like it, so that I think I will switch totally to XFCE. All is working fine, except one thing: I really would like to have event sounds.

So I launched the Appearance-Module and checked under the Settings-tab both Enable event sounds and Enable input feedback sounds. Following the tooltip for the event sounds I also installed libcanberra, but I get absolutely no event sound.

This is what I have installed to get this enabled:

Code: Select all

tobi@monster:~$ dpkg -l | grep libcanberra
ii  libcanberra-gstreamer                       0.24-1                         GStreamer backend for libcanberra
ii  libcanberra-gtk-module                      0.24-1                         translates Gtk+ widgets signals to event sounds
ii  libcanberra-gtk0                            0.24-1                         Gtk+ helper for playing widget event sounds with libcanberra
ii  libcanberra0                                0.24-1                         a simple abstract interface for playing event sounds
There is also a module named libcanberra-pulse, but I did not install that, just because I am not using pulse-audio.

I thought, maybe there is a lack of a sound theme, so I also installed freedesktop-sound-theme, but that didn't help.
I did already searched with Google and in this forum, but have found nothing that would help me.
I would be very happy if anyone can give me an advice what to check or has a link to a tutorial for this sounds.
Last edited by TobiSGD on 2011-01-31 02:42, edited 1 time in total.

TobiSGD

Re: No event sounds in XFCE 4.6.2 on Sid

#2 Post by TobiSGD »

I have opened a threat at the XFCE forum regarding this issue: http://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=5702
A XFCE developer answered, and I tried his suggestions, but that didn't help.

No one here who has the event sounds working?

Revenger

#3 Post by Revenger »

Try installing:

freedesktop-sound-theme (basic system sounds, no login or logout sound) or
moblin-sound-theme

You need to setup them via Volume Control (Mixer). Unfortunately I do not know how to do that in Xfce
Next time someone says 'Go to hell' to me, I come right here.

Do you need bad help?

TobiSGD

#4 Post by TobiSGD »

The sound themes are already installed. After your post I also tried it with gnome-alsamixer, and I even tried it with installing pulseaudio an using pavucontrol, but nothing helps. Which mixer do you mean with "Volume Control (Mixer)"?

Revenger

#5 Post by Revenger »

In xfce it shoud be xfce4-mixer, but I am not sure. I am using Gnome, and it is done via gnome-mixer.

Do you need bad help?

TobiSGD

#6 Post by TobiSGD »

Revenger wrote:In xfce it shoud be xfce4-mixer, but I am not sure. I am using Gnome, and it is done via gnome-mixer.
Of course, but there isn't a slider for system sounds and I can't configure it to have one. So I have tried the gnome-mixer and pavucontrol. At least pavucontrol has a slider for system sounds, but it is a 100% and not muted.

Would be sad if this is the first thing that I can't get to work in Debian. But makes me wonder, XFCE 4.6.2 was released in 2009, so I would assume that it is rather long in Squeeze. Am I the first one that notes that this simply doesn't work? No one ever tried that before?

Revenger

#7 Post by Revenger »

Maybe people do not care about system sounds as long as anything else works. I've spent few hours on troubleshooting why I do not have startup sound in gnome, and I found that upstream removed startup sound from freedesktop-sound-theme, so I installed moblin-sound-theme and got login sound.

However, I do not know in xfce how it is, but here you see my Gnome Volume Control screenshot (Using pulseaudio). One using ALSA only is different. How? Don't ask me

Do you need bad help?

TobiSGD

#8 Post by TobiSGD »

OK, this is not gnome-alsamixer, I need to know the name of this program to give it a try. Would you be so kind and look after the exact name, may be using ps?

Revenger

#9 Post by Revenger »

It is gnome-volume-control from package gnome-media.

Do you need bad help?

bugsbunny

#10 Post by bugsbunny »

Try Menu|Settings|Appearance
Then go to the Settings tab and look at the bottom

nadir

#11 Post by nadir »

He already did that (fist post says:
So I launched the Appearance-Module and checked under the Settings-tab
)

I am quite sure that i had to disable sounds one Debian/Xfce-installation, so it should work.
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

TobiSGD

#12 Post by TobiSGD »

Good news: It works! Only with the moblin theme (not the freedesktop-theme), but it works. Have to test other sound-themes

Bad news: I don't know why. I tested the gnome-volume-control program, but that doesn't help, so I purged it again. In my desperation to get that working, I edited xsettings.xml manually to try to activate the moblin-theme once more, and the same happened as every time i tried that: Logging out took ca. one minute, and after logging in again the panel wasn't started. This time I just gave it a try, and rebooted. After the reboot the panel and the sound-theme worked. I don't know why, but it worked.
So I consider this topic solved now.