Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Forbidden Countries Issue

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.

Do you think blocking countries like Iran is right?

Yes
2%
No
98%

Total votes: 44

AMLJ

Forbidden Countries Issue

#1 Post by AMLJ »

Hi... For a long time I wanted to mention this... Don't you think this is not right? I don't want to start a political discussion here, but I'm really tired of this! Source Forge, Adobe, NVIDIA, Debian (Blocks some IPs)... All block IPs from Iran... :evil:
I hope that we can change at least Debian...

I don't understand, do they really think the government needs these? Don't they understand that it's normal people who need these applications, drivers, etc?
Don't they understand that people like me, have no way to change what the government does?

In Iran, the government blocks most of the websites, itself... And now, we have problem on this side too... :cry:

I can get my work done using SSH tunneling, but what about many other people out there?

Don't you guys think this is wrong? Shouldn't everyone have access to a free Internet?

To make it a bit more serious, I decided to start an online petition... Please sign it... Maybe we can change something... (I doubt it)
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/free ... forpeople/

I hope this changes... Waiting to see what you guys think... :)
Last edited by AMLJ on 2011-01-28 21:48, edited 4 times in total.
AMLJ**0-1-47

Mr James

Re: Forbidden Countries Issue

#2 Post by Mr James »

I reside currently in Syria. If one side does not block my access, the other does. No it is not right and sucks.
Only Joe Average is effected and Governments do not give a crap about Joe Average.
asus S551L laptop :: debian stable :: dwm

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by Hallvor »

I do believe that free flow of information in a free Internet is what oppressive governments fear the most, and I do believe that any government should fear its people: I voted no.
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

eric1959

#4 Post by eric1959 »

These corrupt regimes fear a free internet :
http://www.thenational.ae/news/worldwid ... st-protest

I voted NO
Debian Bits And Snips
Squeeze, Gnome, amd64, Intel Core i3-530, Geforce GT330

richs-lxh

#5 Post by richs-lxh »

I also voted no. I just got a link to this thread from identi.ca and have to say that it is totally absurd what has been happening over the last couple of months regarding internet freedom.

Today Cairo, Egypt had an internet blackout imposed by its government, Anonymous protesters who performed DDOS attacks in support of Wikileaks were arrested and face imprisonment while the DDOS attacks "against" Wikileaks go uninvestigated. It goes on and on. We all know what happened regarding the Wikileaks website/dns etc, and what continues to happen to Julian Assange

And now, if you live in Iran you can't download Debian!

Looks like we aren't as free as we would like to believe.

traveler

#6 Post by traveler »

No, of course.
It's this.
I wish for a conjugal visit and world peace. (Don't want to seem selfish.)

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#7 Post by canci »

What's a country? ;)

I voted no. Generalisations suck donkey mud-butt on 50° C and belong in the sewers! *GRRRRR! All of them are on my shitlist, and I sincerely hope Debian will remove this policy (or at least gives proper explanation why it can't), or I'm out.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

nadir

#8 Post by nadir »

a proper explanation would probably look similar to this:
As one of the first companies to promote the adoption and distribution of free and open source software, and one that still puts open source at the center of its corporate ideals, restrictions on the free flow of information rub us the wrong way. However, in addition to participating in the open source community, we also live in the real world, and are governed by the laws of the country in which we are located. Our need to follow those laws supersedes any wishes we might have to make our community as inclusive as possible. The possible penalties for violating these restrictions include fines and imprisonment. Other hosting companies based in the US have similar legal and technical restrictions in place.
from here: http://sourceforge.net/blog/clarifying- ... th-us-law/
search term: "Debian blocks Iran"; within the first results for that.
I think one will find info about it here, at forums.debian.net, too. I seem to remember i read it a while ago.

Business like usual: the rules spoil all the fun... :wink:

Someone should vote with "yes", else the poll is boring.
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

llivv

#9 Post by llivv »

nadir wrote: Business like usual: the rules spoil all the fun... :wink:

Someone should vote with "yes", else the poll is boring.
Yes, casue it sucks to be at the bottom of the shizznit ma nizzzards - spells
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#10 Post by canci »

It's sad that even on the Internet I'm not spared from human stupidity. I could bear Facebook and Youtube, but this certainly tops it.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

Penguin Skinner

#11 Post by Penguin Skinner »

canci wrote:It's sad that even on the Internet I'm not spared from human stupidity.
As Frank Zappa observed, "There is more stupidity around than hydrogen, and it has a longer shelf life." IMO the internet would certainly seem to prove it.

eric1959

#12 Post by eric1959 »

Debian Bits And Snips
Squeeze, Gnome, amd64, Intel Core i3-530, Geforce GT330

BioTube

#13 Post by BioTube »

If the Iranians could access the internet, you might replace your government with on that knows how to watch its tongue - and then the US would be out an enemy. Better radicalizing sanctions than lose another bogeyman.
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.

BowCatShot

#14 Post by BowCatShot »

Man, history certainly does repeat itself, doesn't it? I remember the days of Radio Free Europe when the suppressive regimes of Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union criminalized the dissemination of information. In the end the people found a way and freedom sprang forth.

Now it's happening with the internet. Eventually the good guys will win but it seems that first a lot of pain and discomfort has to take place.

nadir

#15 Post by nadir »

how to watch its tongue
My guess is that neither the government nor the nation of Persia, with a history and culture as long and impressive as it is, likes it to get told "to watch its tongue". Especially not by a child (seen in terms of history).

Yes, BowCatShot, radio-free-europe and all, i had similar thoughts like you. Otoh this time it is just the other way around....
what is also ironic is that Hitlers reaching for world-leadership made the USA re-consider the policy of isolationism and enter world-history. Not everything turns out like it was planned....

btw: what happend to stuxnet?

greetings from a little peninsula at the west coast of Asia.
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

BowCatShot

#16 Post by BowCatShot »

"Not everything turns out like it was planned...."

How true. I would say that hardly anything turns out like it was planned.

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#17 Post by Hallvor »

BowCatShot wrote: Eventually the good guys will win but it seems that first a lot of pain and discomfort has to take place.
The "good guys" always win because it is they who eventually write history. Of course they write they are the good guys. (If the real good guys always won, would the world look like this?) :wink:
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

BowCatShot

#18 Post by BowCatShot »

"The "good guys" always win because it is they who eventually write history. Of course they write they are the good guys. (If the real good guys always won, would the world look like this?) :wink:"

If the real good guys didn't eventually win I and possibly you wouldn't exist.

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#19 Post by Hallvor »

BowCatShot wrote:
If the real good guys didn't eventually win I and possibly you wouldn't exist.
Really? Please explain.

vmamonov

#20 Post by vmamonov »

BowCatShot wrote: If the real good guys didn't eventually win I and possibly you wouldn't exist.
afraid of "evil commies"? :wink: