Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Why no more Xdialog on squeeze?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
ispgardner

Why no more Xdialog on squeeze?

#1 Post by ispgardner »

What is the reason to drop Xdialog from the new release; is any replacement on the horizon? (beside zenity that is really crippled version of Xdialog).

Thanx for any info.

TobiSGD

Re: Why no more Xdialog on squeeze?

#2 Post by TobiSGD »

I would assume that it was dropped because it was no more developed since 2006.

ispgardner

#4 Post by ispgardner »

Yep, It is quite old & according to some old bug report, it does not compile (well) with the new xlib.
Thierry Godefroy (Xdialog maintainer) badmouth Debian that it is rigid packaging policy and not a software fault (BTW I like Debian for its packaging). It is too bad, but there is nothing that replaces Xdialog (dialog & whiptail are terminal and not the X programs). I'll try to compile Xdialog & see what happen.

Thanx for help.

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by canci »

What is missing in zenity? I'm curious as I am starting out with it now.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

ispgardner

#6 Post by ispgardner »

Zenity is a subset (more or less) of Xdialog. Probably 1/3 to ½ of Xdialog code is implemented into zenity. Widgets such; “2inputsbox” where you can input username & password in one box, “buildlist” where you can build file list and many other boxes are implemented in Xdialog, but not in zenity. Also more options are available for existing widgets in Xdialog. In my case I miss tailbox in zenity where you can monitor progress in more details. There is always philosophical question; can you use GTK or even xlib? No, Xdialog is an almost complete GUI interface with same eas to bind to scrip as zenity (just more options).

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#7 Post by canci »

tnx for the info! I thought kommander was rather nice. Would like to have something like that for GTK.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

DoCMi

#8 Post by DoCMi »

It is a few years than I was not using debian and I am very badly surprized to constat than Xdialog is not in squeeze. I think this is a shame because it work and many peoples can have, like me, shell scripts that depend on it. I am not a programmer, but I can make shell scripts, and Xdialog is a very simple and efficent way to make interactive shell scripts for X.

I have no time to arge on it, and no interest beside those raisons, but I think that it would be a good move to make a squeeze gtk2 build of Xdialog.

I have no problem to install it on opensuze (a search and a few clicks) and gentoo (emerge xdialog). I just installed it in squeeze, and it seam to work very well. To get it to work with gtk2, it is just to configure it with "--enable-gtk2" and all is going fine afterwards.