Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

images in signatures

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
oOarthurOo

images in signatures

#1 Post by oOarthurOo »

Seems to be a new trend going on right now, and it really only bugs me at work, since I adblock all images in signatures at home. But it's pretty annoying.

neddie

Re: images in signatures

#2 Post by neddie »

I agree. In particular the recent animated ones continuing the abuse of the forum mods are juvenile and ridiculous. And deliberately intended to annoy of course. Can we get them warned by the mods and asked politely to remove them?

AMLJ

#3 Post by AMLJ »

It's one of our basic rights to use images in our signatures and it really doesn't have anything to do with you...

Also, it's one of your basic right to think they are ridiculous... Thanks for the constructive comment.

Adblock 'em if you don't like them.
AMLJ**0-1-47

Tadeas

#4 Post by Tadeas »

AMLJ wrote:It's one of our basic rights to use images in our signatures
On most forums that I participate in, images in signatures are disabled. Animated stupidities in bright colours are very annoying and imho they are on similar level as spam. Anyway, I consider it quite rude to annoy others with them.
Because let’s face it, the unfortunate aspect of software development is that it involves humans. Mewling, disorganized, miserably analog humans. Sometimes they smell bad.

MALsPa

#5 Post by MALsPa »

Tadeas wrote:Animated stupidities in bright colours are very annoying and imho they are on similar level as spam. Anyway, I consider it quite rude to annoy others with them.
Thank you. It's definitely annoying, and it comes across as whining.

AMLJ

#6 Post by AMLJ »

Tadeas wrote:
AMLJ wrote:It's one of our basic rights to use images in our signatures
On most forums that I participate in, images in signatures are disabled. Animated stupidities in bright colours are very annoying and imho they are on similar level as spam. Anyway, I consider it quite rude to annoy others with them.
I consider the things which have happened recently quite shocking, and I consider putting a damn thing saying "FREE CYNWULF NOW" is the least one can do.
Anyway, on this forum they are not disabled yet (hopefully), and therefor, I consider it my right to put animated pics in my signature unless a mod or admin says that it's against the rules here, which I find funny, and unlikely to happen.

You can easily get rid of them using ABP...

It isn't something stupid, and I think it has more meaning than many other signatures I see here every now and then.
AMLJ**0-1-47

traveler

#7 Post by traveler »

If we could discuss the unfair shake cynwulf got without a mod locking the thread, we would be happy to do so. Since we know that won't happen, it seems a "passive aggressive" approach is one of the few remaining options.
I wish for a conjugal visit and world peace. (Don't want to seem selfish.)

jheaton5

#8 Post by jheaton5 »

traveler wrote:If we could discuss the unfair shake cynwulf got without a mod locking the thread, we would be happy to do so. Since we know that won't happen, it seems a "passive aggressive" approach is one of the few remaining options.
I disagree. You could just let it go.
debian sid

traveler

#9 Post by traveler »

I'm not going to comment on it further. No sense in getting another thread locked.

Mr James

#10 Post by Mr James »

Yep, mods are funny like that - if they simply don't like something in a thread, they can lock it. And the rules are vague enough to allow them to do so.
asus S551L laptop :: debian stable :: dwm

edbarx

#11 Post by edbarx »

I cannot say that colourful signatures created as a protest are a nuisance to me. This is a forum, and as a forum is intended to be used and frequented by people, there is absolutely nothing wrong in its members showing their opinion about anything related to its running.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#12 Post by canci »

You seemed to have no problem whatsoever when a certain Dutch user here posted "Terra Christiana est" in his signature, with a link to a blog on rather scary, far right wing propaganda. But campaigning against unjust and selective banning of users is a problem... :roll:
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

Mr James

#13 Post by Mr James »

What people are failing to realize is the it's not just about cynwulf about about the principal.

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#14 Post by canci »

Mr James wrote:What people are failing to realize is the it's not just about cynwulf about about the principal.
Yes, sadly, that takes imagination and giving a rat's buttocks.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

oOarthurOo

#15 Post by oOarthurOo »

canci wrote:You seemed to have no problem whatsoever when a certain Dutch user here posted "Terra Christiana est" in his signature, with a link to a blog on rather scary, far right wing propaganda. But campaigning against unjust and selective banning of users is a problem... :roll:
I have no idea what you're talking about. I also have no idea what all this cywulf stuff is about. Nor do I care. I've been here a while and haven't seen mods been dicks more than once or twice. In other words, about 1/1000th the rate of most users, myself included.

WHy not just make your protest a normal signature, even in bright red text? It'd be more effective since I can't block that, and less annoying. Win win.

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#16 Post by 4D696B65 »

oOarthurOo wrote: WHy not just make your protest a normal signature, even in bright red text? It'd be more effective since I can't block that, and less annoying. Win win.
Protest? I thought canci forgot to take down his Christmas lights. :mrgreen:

oOarthurOo

#17 Post by oOarthurOo »

It's embarassing. All these new users will be coming in now that squeeze is released and the place looks like crap. I've given up trying to clean it up and have added everyone with the signature to foe's list so they don't show up no matter what computer I'm on.

Let me know when the crybaby routine is over.

traveler

#18 Post by traveler »

Mr James

#19 Post by Mr James »

While I do support the "free synwulf" thing and agreed to put the message in my sig, I have to say, my experience with mods leads me to conclude that they will do anything to save face and not admit they may have made a lousy call or allow themselves to be pressured into nullifying a decision which they believe will tempt others in the future to challenge their decisions, and that includes putting up with and/or ignoring the bright lighted messages.

Also, not all mods are equal: from what I've seen so far and read in the archived threads, AM would never pull something like this.

@Soul Singin': Why don't we ask an old knowledgeable member like MeanDean about his view on the matter? Oh, that's right, he's not here...well what about an old expressive individual like nadir? Oh, stupid me, he's left...

RitaSkeeter

#20 Post by RitaSkeeter »

This forum is, for better or worse, a community. It has all kinds of "residents" and, like any community, must have some form of governance. Since it is a privately owned community, the owner(s) have the right to appoint whom they choose to govern the day-to-day affairs of the community. Moderators are not perfect, and are as susceptible as anyone to make emotionally compromised decisions. I think the glaring fact that many seem to be missing is this: Moderators do not have life-altering powers. The absolute worse they can do is permanently ban an IP address. The only one in this situation who received the "ultimate"punishment was the original instigator, nomko. JohnDeere630 was issued a warning, but was not banned even for a day. He was prepared for 2 weeks. Had that been handed down, I doubt he would have gotten into a hissy. I also have reason to doubt that he would have immediately re-registered and come back to torture the moderators. The governing system here already has a well established system of appeal; to wit, 1st appeal is to PM the mod who made the call and politely ask for clarification. Failing that the defendant can PM one of the boys in red. Re-registering and coming back to complain is akin to breaking out of prison. When you get caught, you can expect a harsher sentence.
Folks have the right to put anything they want (within forum rules) in their signatures, but I seriously doubt they will get a mod to reverse a decision. I don't think it is very productive to try to browbeat any boss into second-guessing him/herself. Soul-Singin has it right; if your boss decides to punish you for whatever reason, and you decide to get into a public pissing contest, you will, 99.5% of the time, get canned. If MeanDean, Cynwulf, Nadir, JohnDeere630 or anyone else decides to leave permanently over such a minor matter, then all I can say is...don't let the door hit your a*s on the way out. I hate to see longtime members leave, but we all should understand that that is their decision, it is not fair to blame anyone else.

On another note, I have been using Debian since Sarge was released, and have overcome many, many problems with my very good friend, Google. About 95% of the time, I would find the best, real solution here. Sometimes at Linuxquestions, but almost never at the unubnut forums. That has not changed. This forum is still, by an order of magnitude, the best place for accurate information about Debian. There will always be some chaff to separate from the grain, but the SNR is still pretty darn good. :D