Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Howto watch YouTube with only free software in Debian

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
secipolla

Re: Howto watch YouTube with only free software in Debian

#21 Post by secipolla »

totem-plugins have been updated in Sid (a couple of days ago) and the YouTube plugin works great.
H.264 video in full screen with much less CPU use than Flash (in my sample video, but others may load WebM maybe).

(the CPU usage peak is cos I'd opened the screenshot tool)

mixalis88

#22 Post by mixalis88 »

Fireofox/Iceweasel addon https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/161869/

Replace embedded flash videos and display them with a different plugin or standalone player, download or automatically redirect to WebM player when available.

eric1959

#23 Post by eric1959 »

mixalis88 wrote:Fireofox/Iceweasel addon https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/161869/

Replace embedded flash videos and display them with a different plugin or standalone player, download or automatically redirect to WebM player when available.
Thanks, never heard of it before, gonna try..
Debian Bits And Snips
Squeeze, Gnome, amd64, Intel Core i3-530, Geforce GT330

stevepusser

#24 Post by stevepusser »

mixalis88 wrote:Fireofox/Iceweasel addon https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/161869/

Works well here with mplayer or vlc as the backend in Firefox 4.0 beta8.
MX Linux packager and developer

canti

#25 Post by canti »

kedaha wrote: 1. Open your root terminal and cut and paste the following:

Code: Select all

apt-get install gecko-mediaplayer iceweasel-greasemonkey
2. Now visit this site: Youtube without Flash Auto If the link doesn't work, try later.

Now you can watch videos on Youtube to your heart's content without Flash! :D
Dear all,

I'm new here, seeing if I can migrate from Ubuntu to Debian. At this moment I have three OS installed: Vista, Ubuntu 10.10 and Debian Squeeze. The latter is attracting me more and more because of her strict policy of open source. I'm thinking to use Debian in stead of Ubuntu in the future. Now I would like to try youtube without Adobe Flash (unfortunately Gnash doesn't work). I followed the instruction above. However, the result is a grey block. How can I solve it?
luvva_cuppa wrote:Minitube? Available in the Squeeze repositories:

"Minitube is a native YouTube client. With it you can watch YouTube videos in
a new way: you type a keyword, Minitube gives you an endless video stream.

Minitube does not require the Flash Player.

Minitube is not about cloning the original YouTube web interface, it aims to
create a new TV-like experience."

From my own experience it works well.
Minitube doesn't occur in "my" Squeeze repositories. Probably there are some lines missing in etc/apt/sources.list? And I have 64bits HP notebook (which works well in Ubuntu 10.10).

Please accept my apologies for my English which is not my native language...

Warm regards,
canti
HP Envy 17 n120nd containing Debian Bullseye (Gnome 3)

TobiSGD

#26 Post by TobiSGD »

minitube is not available in Squeeze. A few weeks after the freeze Youtube has changed their APIs, so that the version from Squeeze doesn't work anymore. So you have to wait for a backport (or backport yourself), use the version from Sid or the one build by stevepusser: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... be#p336602
Last edited by TobiSGD on 2011-02-03 20:53, edited 1 time in total.

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#27 Post by canci »

canti wrote:I followed the instruction above. However, the result is a grey block.
Seems to me like you are missing the h264 codec, in which most videos are encoded on Youtube. Since I just install codecs from Debian Multimedia (which aren't necessarily open source), I really don't know which package from main provides h264 decoding. Anyone?
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

canti

#28 Post by canti »

Sorry for the late reply, too busy. Well, now I have installed x264 and w64 packages from synaptic. Unfortunately, there is no result: there is a grey block, and sometimes there is a text message saying that I should install Adobe (which makes the iceweasel browser freeze, hence it doesn't work). It's a pity... It seems that the first method prescribed by the topic starter doesn't work for me, and I don't know why.
The minitube-method, perhaps it is wise to wait for the official release of Squeeze Stable to use the backport (I understand that backport is for a stable release only, please correct me if I'm wrong). Debian differs much from Ubuntu, which I expected, of course. But now..., well, I keep smiling because I can stand behind the Debian policy of open source software and the community-driven force.

kedaha

#29 Post by kedaha »

To install Minitube in Squeeze, this should work:

Edit your sources list thus:

nano /etc/apt/sources.list
So that they include sid:

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ sid main 
Use Control + O followed by Enter to save and then Control + X to exit.
Now, as root, create a system file thus:

nano /etc/apt/apt.conf
Cut and paste this line to this empty file:

APT::Default-Release "squeeze";
(For reasons explained in rickh's How to: Set up and maintain a Mixed Testing/Unstable System)
Now save and exit nano as before and do:

aptitude update && aptitude install -t sid minitube
Unless you need the sid repo for something else, just unmark it in Synaptic or comment it out using nano.
Last edited by kedaha on 2011-02-04 16:31, edited 1 time in total.
DebianStable

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

stevepusser

#30 Post by stevepusser »

canti wrote:Sorry for the late reply, too busy. Well, now I have installed x264 and w64 packages from synaptic. Unfortunately, there is no result: there is a grey block, and sometimes there is a text message saying that I should install Adobe (which makes the iceweasel browser freeze, hence it doesn't work). It's a pity... It seems that the first method prescribed by the topic starter doesn't work for me, and I don't know why.
The minitube-method, perhaps it is wise to wait for the official release of Squeeze Stable to use the backport (I understand that backport is for a stable release only, please correct me if I'm wrong). Debian differs much from Ubuntu, which I expected, of course. But now..., well, I keep smiling because I can stand behind the Debian policy of open source software and the community-driven force.
The backport I did for Minitube was not an official backport, just one I did myself following the same procedure that the official backports repository does. It works well enough, even though Squeeze may still have a few bug fixes to come.

QT 4 packages such as Minitube aren't very backward compatible. If I were to build the same version of Minitube using the QT 4.7 libraries I now have installed, then it will require QT 4.7 as a dependency. Backporting builds upstream sources against the stable libraries, making them compatible with whatever release you have installed, such as the QT 4.6 in Squeeze.

About the x264 problem: Standard Squeeze versions of mplayer, gstreamer, ffmpeg, xine and VLC all are able to play back h.264 content. x264 is an h.264 encoder, not a decoder (and probably the best h.264 encoder there is, too) The problem may be some video output problem (xv vs x11), and that in turn is often related to the video driver in use.

Running "xvinfo" in the terminal can show if you have that output driver available; most of the video applications try that output as the default. Can you play h.264 content in any of those applications?
MX Linux packager and developer

canti

#31 Post by canti »

@kedaha: I succeeded to install minitube (not before I have to find out how to create a non-existing etc/apt/apt.conf file: searching in google learns that it is simple: touch etc/apt/apt.conf). It works very well. However, one disadvantage: I cannot play an embedded youtube video. Or is there a tip to get the embedded video play in minitube?

@stevepusser: thank you for indicating the difference between encoder and decoder (I'm not so well-experienced in computers...). To answer your question, I cannot play h.264 in other places than youtube. In Ubuntu I do not face this difficulty, flash and other video streamings do work very well there. The only difference is that in Ubuntu the non-free Nvidia was installed, and not Nouveau. Could there be the source of the problem? In any case I give you the output of xvinfo:

X-Video Extension version 2.2
screen #0
  Adaptor #0: "Nouveau GeForce 8/9 Textured Video"
    number of ports: 32
    port base: 63
    operations supported: PutImage 
    supported visuals:
      depth 24, visualID 0x21
      depth 24, visualID 0x22
    number of attributes: 2
      "XV_SET_DEFAULTS" (range 0 to 0)
              client settable attribute
      "XV_SYNC_TO_VBLANK" (range 0 to 1)
              client gettable attribute (current value is 1)
    maximum XvImage size: 4096 x 4096
    Number of image formats: 3
      id: 0x32315659 (YV12)
        guid: 59563132-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
        bits per pixel: 12
        number of planes: 3
        type: YUV (planar)
      id: 0x30323449 (I420)
        guid: 49343230-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
      id: 0x32595559 (YUY2)
        guid: 59555932-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
        bits per pixel: 16
        number of planes: 1
        type: YUV (packed)
I don't understand the output, I hope you can see the problem here?

Now it is time to go to bed. This weekend I need time for a study, but I will occassionaly have a look in this forum. I'm really enthousiast to use Debian, despite, or perhaps just thanks to puzzling, I learn a lot!

Warm regards,
canti

kedaha

#32 Post by kedaha »

canti wrote:@kedaha: I succeeded to install minitube (not before I have to find out how to create a non-existing etc/apt/apt.conf file: searching in google learns that it is simple: touch etc/apt/apt.conf). It works very well. However, one disadvantage: I cannot play an embedded youtube video. Or is there a tip to get the embedded video play in minitube?

@stevepusser: thank you for indicating the difference between encoder and decoder (I'm not so well-experienced in computers...). To answer your question, I cannot play h.264 in other places than youtube. In Ubuntu I do not face this difficulty, flash and other video streamings do work very well there. The only difference is that in Ubuntu the non-free Nvidia was installed, and not Nouveau. Could there be the source of the problem? In any case I give you the output of xvinfo:

X-Video Extension version 2.2
screen #0
  Adaptor #0: "Nouveau GeForce 8/9 Textured Video"
    number of ports: 32
    port base: 63
    operations supported: PutImage 
    supported visuals:
      depth 24, visualID 0x21
      depth 24, visualID 0x22
    number of attributes: 2
      "XV_SET_DEFAULTS" (range 0 to 0)
      "XV_SYNC_TO_VBLANK" (range 0 to 1)
              client gettable attribute (current value is 1)
    maximum XvImage size: 4096 x 4096
    Number of image formats: 3
      id: 0x32315659 (YV12)
        guid: 59563132-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
      id: 0x30323449 (I420)
        guid: 49343230-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
      id: 0x32595559 (YUY2)
        guid: 59555932-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
        bits per pixel: 16
        number of planes: 1
        type: YUV (packed)
I don't understand the output, I hope you can see the problem here?

Now it is time to go to bed. This weekend I need time for a study, but I will occassionaly have a look in this forum. I'm really enthousiast to use Debian, despite, or perhaps just thanks to puzzling, I learn a lot!

Warm regards,
canti
Likewise. No need to use touch command: just entering the commands, nano would've created the new system file after saving and exiting. Regarding the video question, it'd be better to start a new topic if you're not sure about how to install the nVidia proprietary driver. Post output of:

lspci | grep VGA
DebianStable

$ vrms

canti

#33 Post by canti »

I'm not quite sure if nVidia is the cause. It seems me a big step to use the nVidia proprietary in stead of Nouveau. If I have to do that, I will start a new topic. At your request I give the output of lspci | grep VGA here:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G96 [GeForce 9600M GT] (rev a1)
What can you say about this output?

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#34 Post by canci »

canti wrote:I'm not quite sure if nVidia is the cause. It seems me a big step to use the nVidia proprietary in stead of Nouveau. If I have to do that, I will start a new topic. At your request I give the output of lspci | grep VGA here:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G96 [GeForce 9600M GT] (rev a1)
Using nouveau might exactly be your problem. It's still a very basic driver, so video overlay and acceleration don't work. Using the nvidia proprietary driver is actually quite easy. Just add non-free to your sources and install the package called nvidia-glx (this is the one you need for the 9600M). Installing nvidia-settings might be a good idea as well. You can find instructions for both steps on the forums, as this has been done to death already.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#35 Post by oswaldkelso »

Just add non-free to your sources and install the package called nvidia-glx
Tut tut...
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#36 Post by canci »

oswaldkelso wrote:
Just add non-free to your sources and install the package called nvidia-glx
Tut tut...
kelsoo, sorry, it is off topic, but nvidia is mostly very unusable without proprietary drivers. :(

READ THIS:

jw013

#37 Post by jw013 »

Using player backend of ''
DBUS connection created
Listening to path /control/15111
ARG: id = no-flash-player
ARG: type = video/flv
ARG: src = http://www.youtube.com/get_video?video_id=arfcS2QxIHw&t=vjVQa1PpcFM7uY0XoSQ_J43_tCD7qXWv5nhIoxJZTw4=&asv=&fmt=22&begin=0
ARG: scale = tofit
ARG: autoplay = true
ARG: height = 388
ARG: width = 640
Window resized
Calling GetURLNotify with item = 0x7fa6b4930000 src = http://www.youtube.com/get_video?video_id=arfcS2QxIHw&t=vjVQa1PpcFM7uY0XoSQ_J43_tCD7qXWv5nhIoxJZTw4=&asv=&fmt=22&begin=0
Window resized
URL Notify url = 'http://www.youtube.com/get_video?video_id=arfcS2QxIHw&t=vjVQa1PpcFM7uY0XoSQ_J43_tCD7qXWv5nhIoxJZTw4=&asv=&fmt=22&begin=0'
reason = 1
http://www.youtube.com/get_video?video_id=arfcS2QxIHw&t=vjVQa1PpcFM7uY0XoSQ_J43_tCD7qXWv5nhIoxJZTw4=&asv=&fmt=22&begin=0

/control/15111
URL Notify result is Network Error
I tried this on a fresh Squeeze install, Icewease 3.5.16, and got the above output in the terminal. I have a grey rectangle where the video is but nothing plays when I press play. Any ideas why this is not working?

kedaha

#38 Post by kedaha »

The Greasemonkey script is broken at the moment according to this README.
DebianStable

$ vrms

jw013

#39 Post by jw013 »

Oh ok thanks for the link. I was slightly worried about the OP being from so long ago.

An update: the Free Youtube Greasemonkey script does seem to work.
The FlashVideoReplacer Firefox Addon does not.

canti

#40 Post by canti »

canci wrote:
canti wrote:I'm not quite sure if nVidia is the cause. It seems me a big step to use the nVidia proprietary in stead of Nouveau. If I have to do that, I will start a new topic. At your request I give the output of lspci | grep VGA here:
Using nouveau might exactly be your problem. It's still a very basic driver, so video overlay and acceleration don't work. Using the nvidia proprietary driver is actually quite easy. Just add non-free to your sources and install the package called nvidia-glx (this is the one you need for the 9600M). Installing nvidia-settings might be a good idea as well. You can find instructions for both steps on the forums, as this has been done to death already.
Yesterday I installed nvidia driver by using the wiki which went without problem. Unfortunately, I didn't see any effect: I still got the message saying a plugin is missing, a grey block instead of video appears (greasemonkey is on and youtube without flash auto installed, see first post of this topic). I also tried with flash non-free, the problem with freezing of browser still occurs. I think I overlook something crucial, but what? I don't really know... But I keep on smiling :) , knowing there must be a good solution somewhere... Who can help me? If needed, I can open a new topic in the "desktop & multimedia".