Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

announcement of another debian forum

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
nadir

announcement of another debian forum

#1 Post by nadir »

hi all.
First things first:
I am not sure how to deal with the situation, and if this way is correct.
I think yes, it is. If not, please remove this thread or do what needs to be done.
In no way i want to tease other people or make trouble or anything like that.

Some people created a new forum on the fly.
Most of its users have been users here, and the bigger part of them are still users here.
Some make hints in posts, or put the link to the new forum in their sig.
I don't think it is ok to do so, but to not make it clear what one is speaking about.
I for one am for fair-play (we had more than enough trouble in the last months, or not?)

Yes, we try to make a new forum and we got some ideas about how to do that.
Yes, it is cause we are not happy with this forum anymore.
But; as far it is me all bad feelings are gone. Lets stay friendly and lets do fair play.

Let me put that very clear:
This, forums.debian.net is the de-facto official forum for Debian.
You will get its link if you go to http://www.debian.org. and then to support: http://www.debian.org/support#web

Here is the link to the forum we try to set up
(as i am not sure if the announcement is ok or not, i edited the link, so it is un-clickable) :
h ttp://www.debianuserforums.org/index.php

And, on a last note, a wish by me:
forums.debian.net has done a lot of good things to all of us.
It still does a lot of good things.
It is way better than a lot of other forums out there.
There is no need to start any kind of trouble here.
It is a good place, don't hinder other people to feel good here.
Let it go. Enough trouble, lets start from scratch and with a light heart.

I hope i did it right.
I don't speak for the users of the forum, i speak for myself only.
Like said: i for one think this is fair-play. Public, not behind the scenes.
In case i was wrong: sorry for that. Really.
I don't speak English that well, i did the best i could.

greetings,
Markus Tornow
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

phenest

Re: announcement of another debian forum

#2 Post by phenest »

I notice their forum has a 'friends & foes' lists. I wonder if anyone's used the 'foes' list yet? This forum has this feature too, but I don't see the point. Aren't we all friends? It's also interesting that they describe themselves as "the forum for real Debian users". What's that supposed to mean? :lol: I wish users would stop pondering on the negative issues here, and just get along. Then, there would be no need for another forum. It really solves nothing. If in doubt, communicate. But sometimes, things are better left unsaid. There is nothing wrong with biting your tongue and remaining silent, if it means keeping the peace. I, for one, will be staying here and helping where I can.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

bugsbunny

#3 Post by bugsbunny »

I'll just say - I miss Lavene, and her style. Certain people around here should try to channel Lavene a bit more.

traveler

#4 Post by traveler »

phenest,
Make a dummy account and have a look at the members list over there. Then go through the Help section here and see how many of them are serious contributors. This isn't the thread to cite grievances, they are well-documented if you look.
I wish for a conjugal visit and world peace. (Don't want to seem selfish.)

nadir

#5 Post by nadir »

phenest, i seem to have been unclear.
I will say it again:

This very thread is not to hire people from here, or to make them leave here.
It is not to discuss, once again, how this board, forums debian net is supposed to be run.
Nothing of that kind.

This thread is to make it clear what is going on, in plain and clear words.
So that everyone who is involved knows what is happening.
(not some hints, but once put in plain words).

For your questions use google, or hope that someone will answer them again.
I will not (especially because they don't belong in this thread at all).

This board, forums debian net, is a good place. Full stop.
There is no need to change the board, or to dual-use both.
That is not the purpose of this announcement.
I only want all of us to know what _exactly_ is happening.
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

oOarthurOo

#6 Post by oOarthurOo »

I wondered why it seemed so much more pleasant around here lately. Thanks for the info and update.

traveler

#7 Post by traveler »

oOarthurOo wrote:I wondered why it seemed so much more pleasant around here lately. Thanks for the info and update.
I wonder why no one sent you a PM about it. :lol:

JohnDeere630

#8 Post by JohnDeere630 »

oOarthurOo wrote:I wondered why it seemed so much more pleasant around here lately. Thanks for the info and update.
:lol: I guess that depends on how you define "pleasant"... :lol:

llivv

#9 Post by llivv »

did you get that pesky gear back in the JDeere?
nice pic.... btw - do you have the source around anywhere? :P
might make a nice project for loukingjr :idea:
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

JohnDeere630

#10 Post by JohnDeere630 »

llivv wrote:did you get that pesky gear back in the JDeere?
nice pic.... btw - do you have the source around anywhere? :P
might make a nice project for loukingjr :idea:
Yes, I did. The big bull-gear was unharmed. It took a day to get the bull-gear pinion out, and a day to get it back in. Total cost for bearings, seals and new (used) gear was $400 The ol' gal is good as new now...gotta love that simple, rugged 1958 technology!

Here is the source:Image

What is a loukingjr? :?

traveler

#11 Post by traveler »

JohnDeere630 wrote:What is a loukingjr? :?
Saved him some trouble, only this is actually Debian:

llivv

#12 Post by llivv »

JohnDeere630 wrote: Yes, I did. The big bull-gear was unharmed. It took a day to get the bull-gear pinion out, and a day to get it back in. Total cost for bearings, seals and new (used) gear was $400 The ol' gal is good as new now...gotta love that simple, rugged 1958 technology!
I have a similar story about replacing an old Intrepid CV joint.. When I mentioned I was in the process of swapping out the CV joint of the 92 to a mopar mechanic, he just laughed.. I found out why as I labored for a week to break the bearing seal from the steering knuckle..
I finally removed essentailly all the front suspension on the one side and brought the steering knuckle with the drive shaft inside it to the rig fleet shop.. They put it to there 30 ton press.. When it finally gave loose, they said it sounded like a shotgun ...
Two weeks work to replace one side, 4 hours (including bring assembly to fleet mechanic shop) to do the other side....
Last edited by llivv on 2011-02-15 02:19, edited 1 time in total.
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

JohnDeere630

#13 Post by JohnDeere630 »

llivv wrote:Two weeks work to replace one side, 4 hours (includeing bring assembly to fleet machanic shop) to do the other side....
:lol: :lol: Been there, done that!

oOarthurOo

#14 Post by oOarthurOo »

JohnDeere630 wrote:
:lol: I guess that depends on how you define "pleasant"... :lol:
Lack of terms like 'ball-licker'[1], and calling new people trying Debian 'butnuts'[2]. Enjoy your new playground. I'd much rather you piss in your own sandbox than all over the users here. New and old 'retards' [3] alike.

[1] http://www.debianuserforums.org/viewtop ... =144#p1877
[2] http://www.debianuserforums.org/viewtop ... &t=68#p888
[3] http://www.debianuserforums.org/viewtop ... t=10#p1155

traveler

#15 Post by traveler »

:lol:
We do enjoy some liberties you may not be accustomed to.

Soul Singin'

#16 Post by Soul Singin' »

nadir wrote:And, on a last note, a wish by me:
forums.debian.net has done a lot of good things to all of us.
It still does a lot of good things.
It is way better than a lot of other forums out there.
Well said. I learned a lot here and greatly appreciate the assistance that so many members of this forum gave me.

phenest wrote:they describe themselves as "the forum for real Debian users". What's that supposed to mean?
It's a tribute to our departed friend RickH. Don't take it personally.

traveler wrote:have a look at the members list over there. Then go through the Help section here and see how many of them are serious contributors.
Just ignore me. I haven't made many contributions lately. I feel bad about that. Hopefully, I will contribute more often in our new space.

You're an asshole.
oOarthurOo wrote:terms like 'ball-licker'
Maybe there's a reason why people call you a "ball-licker." Have you stopped to ponder that thought?

Back on topic ...

Thank you to everyone who has helped me, given me a good laugh and/or made these forums a great experience for me.

I hope to see you around.

Sincerely,
- Soul Singin'

Tadeas

#17 Post by Tadeas »

What's the point of forking the community? Isn't it easier to ignore trolls (and idiots)?

BTW does freedom mean that it's fine to be rude?
Because let’s face it, the unfortunate aspect of software development is that it involves humans. Mewling, disorganized, miserably analog humans. Sometimes they smell bad.

Soul Singin'

#18 Post by Soul Singin' »

Tadeas wrote:What's the point of forking the community? Isn't it easier to ignore trolls (and idiots)?
Ignoring them does not work. Trolls will not let you ignore them.

And when people like Arthur insult the community, then the community needs to be able to defend itself. The community should not have to beg a moderator for intervention.

Tadeas wrote:BTW does freedom mean that it's fine to be rude?
Some people need to be told that their comments are unacceptable. If that requires being rude, then so be it. The community needs to be able to defend itself.

Lately, the trolls have aggravated a lot of experienced, knowledgeable people. In an attempt to be impartial, the moderators issued warnings to both the trolls and the gurus. I appreciate the attempt to be even-handed, but the result has been terrible.

The moderators' warnings further alienated the gurus, so they left. Now all that's left around here are the trolls.

It's a shame when a longtime member writes (about this board):
JohnDeere630 wrote:My give-a-crap-o-meter is reading pretty near zero at this point.
JohnDeere630 spent over four years contributing to this board. Penguin Skinner spent over five years here and a little punk who had been here for less than two months drove both of them off.

So we're leaving. We're going someplace where our experience, knowledge and the relationships that we have built are appreciated.

I hope to see you there,
- Soul Singin'

andreas_1

#19 Post by andreas_1 »

"A Place For Real Debian Users" sounds offensive imo. I consider myself a real debian user (using debian and all), but i have a feeling i don't belong there by their definition. I don't know the background of this, that line just caught my eye, so i wanted to say that one thing. Anyway, good luck with the forums, over there and over here.

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#20 Post by Hallvor »

andreas_1 wrote:"A Place For Real Debian Users" sounds offensive imo. I consider myself a real debian user (using debian and all), but i have a feeling i don't belong there by their definition. I don't know the background of this, that line just caught my eye, so i wanted to say that one thing. Anyway, good luck with the forums, over there and over here.
It is a tribute to a former user: http://www.debianuserforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=23

No reason to be offended.

And the background? Dissatisfaction with the way this forum is run: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=348674#p348674
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD