Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] - Debian Squeeze DNS Issue

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
lkraemer

[SOLVED] - Debian Squeeze DNS Issue

#1 Post by lkraemer »

I've switched from Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, to Fedora 14, to Debian Squeeze 64 Bit, and I have to say THANKS to all the DEVELOPERS.
Everything seems to work wonderful with just a couple of problems............

Problem #1 - I've added Iceweasel to the Top Left Menu, just to the right of "Epiphany" and have it LOCKED to the Panel.
But, when I Power Down, and restart the Iceweasel Icon is gone. Is there something I am missing, or doing wrong?

Problem #2 - After Install my Wifi came up working, with the exception that I have to ADD the OpenDNS Servers
(208.67.200.200 & 208.67.222.222) under SYSTEM -> ADMINISTRATION -> NETWORK to be able to go to any website,
without an Error. I can Ping http://www.yahoo.com and get a successful Ping but the DNS Servers aren't being inserted on
initial install to allow access to any website. These also appear to be CLEARED on Power Down, and I must insert the
DNS Server Information on each Boot. Is there something I am missing or doing wrong?

I also would like to know how long Debian Squeeze will be supported with upgrades, before I'll need to upgrade to another
Version. Do you have a "END of LIFE" time line for the Debian Releases. I've searched for this type of information
and haven't located it.

Thanks Again for a Sweet Looking, Sweet Running, Gnome Based System.

Larry Kraemer
Last edited by lkraemer on 2011-02-17 00:10, edited 1 time in total.

eric1959

Re: Debian Squeeze DNS Issue

#2 Post by eric1959 »

Debian Bits And Snips
Squeeze, Gnome, amd64, Intel Core i3-530, Geforce GT330

emariz

#3 Post by emariz »

To establish the DNS servers, say those from Google:

1. Edit the file /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf and look for the line
#prepend domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;

2. Insert this line right below (note the comma between the IP addresses and the semicolon at the end.)
supersede domain-name-servers 8.8.4.4, 8.8.8.8;

3. Restart.

Debian releases are supported one year after the release of a new version. For example, Lenny will be supported until February 6th, 2012.
Last edited by emariz on 2015-02-23 21:32, edited 2 times in total.

lkraemer

#4 Post by lkraemer »

emariz & eric 1959,
THANKS. I've made that change for the DNS Servers.

I also located the END of LIFE Time Line at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian

lkraemer