Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

HOWTO: Squeeze on ASUS T101MT

Need help with peripherals or devices?
MikeShepard

HOWTO: Squeeze on ASUS T101MT

#1 Post by MikeShepard »

How to install Squeeze on Your ASUS T101MT with full Multi-Touch Touchscreen Capabilities

Installing squeeze on my ASUS T101MT netbook/tablet was a long process of lot of reading and google-ing to get everything working. After around a month and a half of tinkering, I finally have everything working and worked out most of the bugs. I am so impressed by the performance this thing has now, I felt I should create a how-to for anyone interested in doing this. Following these steps should give you working multi-touch screen and touchpad, as well as all the other hardware of this machine. I will try to help if anyone has any problems. Commands as USER are in green and commands as ROOT are in red. This is mostly written for the gnome desktop but could easily be adapted for any desktop. (use kate instead of gedit, etc.) All needed files are either as an attachment to this post or linked.

1. Install squeeze, I used the net install with no extras (system tools, or graphicall interface options at the end of install) and then installed gnome and gdm3. My package list is here

2. Install New Kernel, since the default squeeze one didn’t work with the touchscreen. You can compile your own kernel or to make it easy, I have compiled the kernel already and created a .deb for you. Download the two deb files and the kernel tar file. Extract the kernel source to /usr/src, and install the kernel debs (the config file is there already for you as well). This kernel has been stripped down to whats needed to run the computer, mass storage devices, and joysticks, and a few other things; it’s only 10mb image file and 6mb headers!.
FOR ADVANCED USERS: If you want to add kernel features/modules, I’ve included a script in the in source directory to allow you to recompile your kernel and create deb files. cd to /usr/src/linux-2.6.36 and run: make menuconfig, choose your settings you would like and then run: ./makepackage.sh to create your kernel packages, then cd.. and dpkg -i linux-imageXXX dpgk -i linux-headersXXX. Reboot.
FOR THE NORMAL USER:
tar xvpfz linux-source-mcs.tar.gz /usr/src/
dpkg -i linux-image-2.6.36-mcs.23-686_2.6.36-mcs.23-686-10.00.Custom_i386.deb
dpkg -i linux-headers-2.6.36-mcs.23-686_2.6.36-mcs.23-686-10.00.Custom_i386.deb

reboot

IF YOU WANT TO ROLL YOUR OWN VANILLA KERNEL: make sure you pick the module eeepc_laptop and not the Eee PC Hotkey Driver (you will have your hotkeys doing double actions if you enable bother). This is under Device Drivers -> X86 Platform Specific Device Drivers. And if you need help rolling your own, there is a great tutorial listed in my sources at the bottom of this page.

3. Make multitouch work. Download and install the egalax-multitouch-driver-2.6.36-mcs.23-686-i386.deb egalax-multitouch-driver-common.deb, then install twofing_0.0.7-1_i386.deb.
dpkg -i egalax-multitouch-driver-2.6.36-mcs.23-686-i386.deb
dpkg -i egalax-multitouch-driver-common.deb
dpkg -i twofing_0.0.7-1_i386.deb

There will be a few udev errors but ignore them, it will work fine. Then add the command “twofing --wait” to your startup apps (in gnome this is System ->Preferences -> Startup Applications). Reboot and touchscreen should be working, as well as two-finger right click on the screen. Pinch to zoom will work on most apps as well, and 2 finger rotate thanks to Plippo's work (see sources)

4. Rotate Screen You now have a script called touchrotate in your /usr/bin directory. You can assign it keyboard shortcuts to enable rotating the screen, this script will rotate the screen as well as the X and Y axis of the touch screen. You can use “touchrotate left” to rotote screen left or “touchrotate right”, “touchrotate inverted” (for up), “touchrotate normal” (for down). Or “touchrotate toright” (to move it one direction right), “touchrotate toleft” (to move it one turn left direction). There was one problem with this enabling a extremely bright screen after a rotate, to fix this, do the following as root:
insert in /etc/sudoers:
gedit /etc/sudoers

Code: Select all

YOUR-USER-NAME ALL=NOPASSWD:/home/your-user-name/bin/brightness.sh
(YOUR-USER-NAME being your user name, of course)

Then create script in ~/bin, DO THIS AS ROOT SO YOU DO NOT HAVE A SECURITY EXPLOIT:
echo ‘echo "15" > /sys/class/backlight/eeepc/brightness’ ~/brightness.sh

add end of file in /usr/bin/touchrotate right above “fi”:

sudo /home/YOUR-USER-NAME/bin/brightness.sh
(note the YOUR-USER-NAME again)

5. Fix your screen brightness and hotkeys:
To enable full brightness, open the file /etc/rc.local with root rights:
gksudo gedit /etc/rc.local
ABOVE the line that reads exit 0, add the following line:
setpci -s 00:02.0 f4.b=ff

edit your /etc/default/grub file so the “GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT” line has “acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor” after it.
example: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor"

6. Touchpad enable/disable hotkey doesn’t work, here is a fix:
I wrote a script in ~/bin called touchpad.sh to fix this, do this as user:
gedit ~/bin/touchpad.sh
Copy and paste code:

#!/bin/sh

DEVICE_ID=`xinput -list | grep -i touchpad | grep id= | sed 's/.*id=\([0-9]*\).*/\1/' `

if xinput -list-props $DEVICE_ID | grep "Device Enabled" | grep "1$" > /dev/null
then
#    if xinput -list | grep -i mouse | grep -i usb > /dev/null
#    then
       xinput set-int-prop $DEVICE_ID "Device Enabled" 8 0
#    fi
else
    xinput set-int-prop $DEVICE_ID "Device Enabled" 8 1
fi
Now create a keyboard shortcut using the touchpad hotkey and use your script touchpad.sh as the command for it to execute.

7. Create a script to scale screen when needing 1024x768 resolution. Create a script called toggle-zoom in your ~/bin directory with this code as user:
gedit ~/bin/toggle-zoom
Copy and paste code:

#!/bin/bash

if xrandr | head -n1 | grep -q '1024 x 600'; then
xrandr --output LVDS1 --scale 1.0x1.28
else
xrandr --output LVDS1 --scale 1.0x1.0
sudo ~/bin/brightness.sh
fi
and map it to your stretch hotkey Fn+F4 key.

8. Want Compiz? It works great! (wobbly windows and edge-flipping desktops.)
Call these command as root:

apt-get purge xserver-xorg-video-nouveau xserver-xorg-video-nv
apt-get install libgl1-mesa-dri libgl1-mesa-glx
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
Reboot or restart X
apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager compiz-fusion-plugins-main compiz-fusion-plugins-extra
(and compiz-gnome if runnig gnome).

Create a scrip in ~/bin called compizstart as user:
gedit ~/bin/compizstart
Copy and paste code:

#!/bin/sh
echo “Get Some”
if [[ `pidof compiz` ]]; then
# compiz running, nuke it.
metacity --replace &
killall -9 compiz
else
# no compiz.
compiz --replace &
fi
add to startup (System -> Preferences -> Startup Applications)

Fix the Flip Delay so it doesn’t flip every time you touch a edge (if using cube or desktop wall and mouse edgeflip)

change /usr/share/compiz/wall.xml <nodelay> from true to false, 4 instances (about).
example <nodelay>false</nodelay> --> <nodelay>true</nodelay>

9. Hearing annoying hard drive clicks?? As root:
# hdparm -B 254 /dev/sda
To make the change permanent... edit /etc/hdparm.conf by adding to the end of the file as root:
command_line {
hdparm -q -B 254 /dev/sda
}

To fix on resume from suspend/hibernate: create file /etc/pm/sleep.d/10hdparm as root:

#!/bin/bash
case $1 in
hibernate)
# do nothing
;;
suspend)
# do nothing
;;
thaw)
# ensure hard disk power management is disabled again on thaw.
hdparm -B 254 /dev/sda
echo "Hard disk power management disabled on thaw."
;;
resume)
# ensure hard disk power management is disabled again on resume.
hdparm -B 254 /dev/sda
echo "Hard disk power management disabled on resume."
;;
*) echo "somebody is calling me totally wrong."
;;
esac
then do:
chmod +x /etc/pm/sleep.d/10hdparm

10. Here is a fix for the screen rotate button, Normally the Roate Button is assigned to XScreenSaver (at least in gnome). There is a fix but it is a bit more advanced and I found this in the ubuntu forums posted by a user, Sergey1369 (see notes at bottom for references). Do this as root to be able to map commands to the rotate button:

cd /lib/modules/2.6.36-mcs.23-686/kernel/drivers/platform/x86
cp eeepc-laptop.ko eeepc-laptop.ko.orig
sed -e 's!\x1a\x0\x0\x0\x98!\x1a\x0\x0\x0\x99!' eeepc-laptop.ko.orig > eeepc-laptop.ko
rmmod eeepc-laptop
modprobe eeepc-laptop

GOOD: Now button can be binded via standard keyboard shortcuts to any program.
BAD: every kernel update requires repeating procedure.”

Now create a mapping as user:
echo “keycode 161 = XF86Mail” >> ~/.Xmodmap
Reboot or restart X-server and you can now map the button in your keyboard shortcuts (like the touchrotate command or compiz expo in my case)

11. Two Finger touchpad scrolling:
Quoted from the Ubuntu wiki:
“To make two-finger scrolling work on the touchpad, press Alt+F2 and enter
gedit /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/96-synaptics-twofing.conf
An editor with an empty file will load. Paste there the following text:

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "touchpad two finger scrolling"
MatchIsTouchpad "on"
MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
Option "EmulateTwoFingerMinZ" "10"
Option "EmulateTwoFingerMinW" "7"
Option "VertTwoFingerScroll" "True"
Option "HorizTwoFingerScroll" "True"
Option "VertEdgeScroll" "False"
Option "HorizEdgeScroll" "False"
Driver "synaptics"
EndSection
Now press Alt+F2 again and enter

gconftool-2 --set /desktop/gnome/peripherals/touchpad/scroll_method --type=int 2

Nothing will happen then, that's okay. Log off and back in, now two-finger scrolling on the touchpad should work. “

12. If some apps are displaying your camera upside down, call them like so:
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so APPNAME
(APPNAME being the name of the app, example: iceweasel)

13. Downloading notify-osd from sid will solve your problem of having a large osd message for the network-manager and such.

----

That should give you everything you need to have your netbook working properly. I’ve also included a theme that I generated by mixing ubuntu’s theme dockbar b&w icons with the shiki-wise theme. Just untar the theme file to /usr/share/themes and the icon pack to /usr/share/icons. I created a few icons for empathy, pidgin, and exaile for the dockbar. I want one for xchat but can’t figure out a way for to get it working yet, let me know if you have any ideas.

I hope this works well for everyone and I’ll try to help if anyone has any problems. Good luck! By the way, install Google Earth, it is too cool on the touch screen!

All files below are stored on rapidshare and are only there for one month. Where else can I store them? The forum doesn't all debs.
Kernel Image deb: link
Kernel Headers deb: link
Kenel source: link
Multitouch Driver-Kernel: link
Multitouch Driver-Common: link
Twofing: link
MCS-wise theme: link
MCS-wise Icons: link
Screenshot of themes in attachment of this post.

To make my gnome theme work:
tar xvfz mcs-theme.tar.gz /usr/share/themes/
tar xvfz mcs-icons.tar.gz /usr/share/icons
apt-get install shiki-wise-theme murrine-themes gtk2-engines-murrine gnome-colors-common.

(wallpaper is already installed by default in gnome)

Good Luck,
-Mike

Sources:
Ubuntu Wiki: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/T101MT
Ubunutu Furom: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9210836
Rotate Button Fix: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... 76&page=66
Toggle-Zoom Script: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EeePC/Using
Compie-Kernel: http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_ubuntu

Many thanks to Plippo for making these drivers work!
Attachments
Another screenshot of theme
Another screenshot of theme
Screenshot-1.png (211.91 KiB) Viewed 18395 times
Screenshot of theme
Screenshot of theme
Screenshot.png (188.11 KiB) Viewed 18395 times
Last edited by MikeShepard on 2011-11-16 02:40, edited 4 times in total.

confuseling

Re: HOWTO: Squeeze on ASUS T101MT

#2 Post by confuseling »

I have one of these wee beasties, and am very grateful to you for compiling this. I will give it a go in a couple of days, and report back.

As to where you could keep the files, you could consider a Dropbox account - it has a 'public' folder (and personally, I find it very useful anyway).
The Forum's search box is terrible. Use site specific search, e.g.
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A ... terms+here

MikeShepard

#3 Post by MikeShepard »

Thanks for the idea on Dropbox, I'll look in that. How did the install go?

-Mike

risco

#4 Post by risco »

Hi Mike,
I want to thank you for your good work.I'm relatively new to linux, and I was running Ubuntu on my T101MT when found your topic.So I installed Mint LMDE,(Sqeeze is too awful for me )and following your tutorial, the things that I was able to do,seem work very well.In my opinion Mint LMDE is faster than Ubuntu on this device.I have still same issues to solve” shortcut etc..” because my lack of knowledge but it's also true that linux is a Harsh Mistress.I also posted your How To for helping other Debian Users,here:”forum.eeepc.it/viewtopic.php?id=12099 “
-risco

MikeShepard

#5 Post by MikeShepard »

I have still same issues to solve” shortcut etc..”
Glad to hear the tutorial worked well for you. What's the issue with shortcuts you are having?

risco

#6 Post by risco »

I can rotate the screen only calling “ touchrotate ..” in a terminal.I would like assign the command to the keyboard shortcuts using also the screen rotate button but I haven't yet understood how to do it.

MikeShepard

#7 Post by MikeShepard »

If you are using gnome, you can assign the screen rotate to a keyboard shortcut by doing the following:

Goto System --> Preferences --> Keyboard Shortcuts --> Click "Add" --> Name "Rotate Left" --> command "touchrotate left" --> then click on the new rule in the right hand column and press your keys (I use Windows key and Left Arrow key). Repeat for the other directions

If you are running linux Mint debian (LMDE), you will have a different menu system, if you can't find the Keyboard Shortcuts in their menu, just enter "gnome-keybinding-properties" in a terminal as USER and follow the above steps.

To assign the Rotate Screen button to rotate the screen, you would just do the same as above after following step #9 in the above tutorial.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need any further help.
-Mike

risco

#8 Post by risco »

Thanks! I've created keyboard shortcuts,and two icons, for the touch, in the panel to rotating the screen.Rotate button doesn't work with the script("no such file or directory"when I call the first line) but now all that doesn't matter.

MikeShepard

#9 Post by MikeShepard »

risco wrote:Thanks! I've created keyboard shortcuts,and two icons, for the touch, in the panel to rotating the screen.Rotate button doesn't work with the script("no such file or directory"when I call the first line) but now all that doesn't matter.
I'm not sure what you mean. I just tested it and everything works fine. Remap the rotate button as outlined in Step 9 above, then create a new keyboard shortcut, like I mentioned in the previous reply, name the shortcut "rotate button", command "touchrotate toleft" (or "toright" if you prefer), and then assign the rotate button to it. Should work fine, or did I misread and you have a different problem?

-Mike

risco

#10 Post by risco »

When I copy and paste the first line in step 9 on a terminal as root I have"sco sco # cd /lib/modules/2.6.35-23-generic/kernel/drivers/platform/x86
bash: cd: /lib/modules/2.6.35-23-generic/kernel/drivers/platform/x86: No such file or directory "
When I call "sco sco # cd /lib/modules/2.6.36-mcs.23-686/kernel/drivers/platform/x86"
I have:
sco x86 # cp eeepc-laptop.ko eeepc-laptop.ko.orig
sco x86 # sed -e 's!\x1a\x0\x0\x0\x98!\x1a\x0\x0\x0\x99!' eeepc-laptop.ko.orig > eeepc-laptop.ok
sco x86 # rmmod eeepc-laptop
ERROR: Module eeepc_laptop does not exist in /proc/modules
I don't understand where I'm making a mistake.I'm not deep in the matter
-risco
Last edited by risco on 2011-02-22 19:47, edited 1 time in total.

llivv

#11 Post by llivv »

risco wrote:When I copy and paste the first line in step 9 on a terminal as root I have"sco sco # cd /lib/modules/2.6.35-23-generic/kernel/drivers/platform/x86
bash: cd: /lib/modules/2.6.35-23-generic/kernel/drivers/platform/x86: No such file or directory "
When I call "sco sco # cd /lib/modules/2.6.36-mcs.23-686/kernel/drivers/platform/x86"
I have:
sco x86 # cp eeepc-laptop.ko eeepc-laptop.ko.orig
sco x86 # sed -e 's!\x1a\x0\x0\x0\x98!\x1a\x0\x0\x0\x99!' eeepc-laptop.ko.orig > eeepc-laptop.ok
sco x86 # rmmod eeepc-laptop
I don't understood where I'm making a mistake.I'm not deep in the matter
-risco
Yeah, that happened to me too...
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

MikeShepard

#12 Post by MikeShepard »

Sorry guys, there was a misspelling there. It should have read:

cp eeepc-laptop.ko eeepc-laptop.ko.orig
sed -e 's!\x1a\x0\x0\x0\x98!\x1a\x0\x0\x0\x99!' eeepc-laptop.ko.orig > eeepc-laptop.ko
rmmod eeepc-laptop
modprobe eeepc-lapt
op

I've updated the main post to show the correct commands.
(note the eeepc-laptop.ko vs the eeepc-laptop.ok that was in the tutorial.. my mistake)
So for you guys to fix the problem just do this (ignore the above):

rm eeepc-laptop.ok 
rmmod eeepc-laptop
modprobe eeepc-laptop
And it should work. If you are still getting the /proc/modules error, please post the output of this command:

cat /proc/modules | grep eeepc
It should show something like this:

eeepc_laptop 11525 0 - Live 0xf845c000
sparse_keymap 2737 1 eeepc_laptop, Live 0xf872d000
rfkill 13552 2 eeepc_laptop,cfg80211, Live 0xf8699000
led_class 2285 2 eeepc_laptop,ath9k, Live 0xf85a0000
pci_hotplug 20707 2 eeepc_laptop,shpchp, Live 0xf8403000

also post the output of this:

lsmod

risco

#13 Post by risco »

When I call " rmmod eeepc-laptop " I still have the same error
so:
sco sco # cat /proc/modules | grep eeepc
nothing

sco sco # su -c 'modprobe eeepc_laptop'
FATAL: Error inserting eeepc_laptop (/lib/modules/2.6.36-mcs.23-686/kernel/drivers/platform/x86/eeepc-laptop.ko):

sco sco # lsmod
Module Size Used by
sparse_keymap 2737 0
aes_generic 26723 3
acpi_cpufreq 4945 1
mperf 1091 1 acpi_cpufreq
cpufreq_ondemand 7067 0
freq_table 2999 2 acpi_cpufreq,cpufreq_ondemand
cpufreq_powersave 682 2
cpufreq_conservative 7680 0
cpufreq_userspace 1587 0
ipv6 217747 16
af_packet 14657 4
binfmt_misc 5374 1
fuse 50749 1
loop 11108 0
snd_hda_codec_realtek 198622 1
snd_hda_intel 18109 2
snd_hda_codec 69120 2 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel
snd_hwdep 4546 1 snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm_oss 28166 0
snd_mixer_oss 10760 1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm 56625 3 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd_seq_dummy 1226 0
snd_seq_oss 21321 0
arc4 1057 2
snd_seq_midi 4042 0
ecb 1475 2
snd_rawmidi 15734 1 snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_midi_event 5153 2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq 38544 6 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
ath9k 60673 0
mac80211 152504 1 ath9k
ath9k_common 3760 1 ath9k
snd_timer 14931 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device 4962 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq
i915 252791 4
ath9k_hw 261456 2 ath9k,ath9k_common
drm_kms_helper 25124 1 i915
ath 7273 2 ath9k,ath9k_hw
drm 152813 4 i915,drm_kms_helper
uvcvideo 46865 0
cfg80211 111168 3 ath9k,mac80211,ath
videodev 55428 1 uvcvideo
i2c_algo_bit 3806 1 i915
snd 44982 16 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hwdep,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
rfkill 13552 1 cfg80211
v4l1_compat 10729 2 uvcvideo,videodev
led_class 2285 1 ath9k
i2c_core 18551 5 i915,drm_kms_helper,drm,videodev,i2c_algo_bit
rtc_cmos 6947 0
soundcore 5297 1 snd
joydev 7317 0
intel_agp 21690 2 i915
tpm_tis 6330 0
processor 25782 1 acpi_cpufreq
hid_egalax 2333 0
psmouse 42743 0
rtc_core 11395 1 rtc_cmos
evdev 5972 15
tpm 11795 1 tpm_tis
battery 8226 0
shpchp 19843 0
video 16979 1 i915
snd_page_alloc 6136 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
button 4486 1 i915
rtc_lib 1970 1 rtc_core
tpm_bios 4269 1 tpm
serio_raw 3316 0
ac 2502 0
pci_hotplug 20707 1 shpchp
agpgart 26545 2 drm,intel_agp
output 1671 1 video
ext4 246941 1
mbcache 5460 1 ext4
jbd2 58417 1 ext4
crc16 1303 1 ext4
zlib_deflate 16799 0
crc32c 2259 1
libcrc32c 831 0
usbhid 28401 1 hid_egalax
hid 55397 2 hid_egalax,usbhid
sd_mod 24739 2
ahci 17214 1
libahci 16144 1 ahci
libata 142976 2 ahci,libahci
uhci_hcd 15933 0
atl1c 23197 0
ehci_hcd 27909 0
thermal 10452 0
sco sco #

MikeShepard

#14 Post by MikeShepard »

I cannot reproduce the error, I've tested this on debian squeeze and linux mint debian. So that means we have to debug. Since you are getting that error, I'm assuming the module has never loaded? If this module hasn't been loading, your hotkeys should not have been working (other than brighteness and sleep), can you verify this by checking your volume hotkeys?

Are you running debain squeeze or some other distro (linux mint debian)?

Can you give me the output of

uname -r
Also, did you follow step #5 above and edit your grub configuration? Without doing that, the eeepc_laptop module will NOT load, it's needed to fix an acpi issue for the hotkeys and screen brightness..

-Mike

risco

#15 Post by risco »

You are right.The hotkeys didn't work.I haven't found the line to fix the acpi issue in the grub configuration.So I have followed again the step 5 (step 10 too) and now the output of the command "cat /proc/modules | grep eeepc" is the same you have posted above.I'm trying to create the shortcut pressing the rotatebutton to assign it to the command" touchrotate toleft" . In the right hand column after disabled ,the name that becomes visible is "i" but when I press the button it happens nothing. LMDE & 2.6.36-mcs.23-686

MikeShepard

#16 Post by MikeShepard »

I'm confused by what you mean with:
In the right hand column after disabled ,the name that becomes visible is "i" but when I press the button it happens nothing. LMDE & 2.6.36-mcs.23-686
Are you doing this with a ~/.Xmodmap or no? (It should work either way, the .Xmodmap is only needed if you want to assign the button to other commands, such as compiz expo, for quick desktop switching when rotated). Can you post a screenshot of what you mean? Once you click the disabled button and then press the key, it should get assigned with the proper keycode, is this not happening?

Also what is output when you open a terminal and type "xev", move your mouse over the white box, and then press the button?

It should look something like this:

KeyPress event, serial 37, synthetic NO, window 0x3200001,
    root 0x102, subw 0x0, time 5967199, (172,179), root:(175,231),
    state 0x0, keycode 161 (keysym 0x1008ff19, XF86Mail), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes: 
    XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes: 
    XFilterEvent returns: False

KeyRelease event, serial 37, synthetic NO, window 0x3200001,
    root 0x102, subw 0x0, time 5967199, (172,179), root:(175,231),
    state 0x0, keycode 161 (keysym 0x1008ff19, XF86Mail), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes: 
    XFilterEvent returns: False
Mine might look a bit different as I assigned the button to "XF86Mail" via a .Xmodmap as described above in the tutorial. Again this isn't necessary if you only want to use the button for rotating the screen. The important thing to notice is that it is assigned the keycode of "161".

-Mike

risco

#17 Post by risco »

Once you click the disabled button and then press the key, it should get assigned with the proper keycode, is this not happening?
Exactly! I would like to use the button just for rotating the screen to right .I have created the shortkey so:
[img][IMG]http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/9250/shortr.th.png[/img][/img]
but when I press the button it doesn't work.
I have dual boot with Win7 for running autocad and there it work.
The output of my xev .
[img][IMG]http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/1609/xev.th.png[/img][/img]
Sorry!I'm making you confused with my bad English and my limited knowledge of linux.

risco

#18 Post by risco »

Thank you!I repeated the tutorial and now it all works right.
-risco

MikeShepard

#19 Post by MikeShepard »

Glad to hear it's working for you now. This netbook runs real smooth on debian, I couldn't be happier with it's performance and it's good to hear it's doing the same for others. Please post if you run into any other problems.

Cheers,
-Mike

linx

#20 Post by linx »

I am a user of the ubuntu forums too but I always fancied Deb better than ubuntu so now it's time to try it once again. Especially now that the stable product is here. What I wanted to ask before I start the procedure (I have to backup the machine right now) is whether I need to use that specific kernel or the default one will do?

And something a bit off-topic but it has to do with the general experience of the machine in Linux Tablet mode is how to arrange stuff (so that Gnome menu won't overlap the system tray items) and what programs you guys using for the tablet finger/pen friendly applications.