Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Clear 3G Works, need help with 4G and Con. Manager

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
frank56

Clear 3G Works, need help with 4G and Con. Manager

#1 Post by frank56 »

I saw a post by someone that had successfully configured a Clear USB modem for linux using wine. I cannot find that post. It was on a Clear forum. Here is my lsusb output I am getting now. I have a Clear 4G+ Mobile USB modem. It is a Sierra Wireless Air Card 250u. I was able to get a brief 3G connection out of the box, with Squeeze 6.0. I would be happy to at least get connection manager working, as it does in Windows XP.

Subsequent edit. I did a clean install of 6.0 Squeeze, and Clear USB modum worked right out of the box. All I had to do was, right click on Network Manager icon on upper right corner of screen, checked enable mobile broadband. clicked on edit connection info. There I manually entered Clear as my provider, checked on connect auto, and left other fields blank or default settings. I still only get 3G, but I have multiple barriers to a microwave signal in my location. But I still will continue and may need help as I configure Clears Connection Manager, and or firmware.

http://geek.the-daver.com/clear-usb-4g-on-linux-a-saga

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 198f:0220 Beceem Communications Inc.
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 1199:0301 Sierra Wireless, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:2512 Standard Microsystems Corp. USB 2.0 Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 roo

I am guessing I would have to locate firmware to make this device work in linux. If anyone can add any information, links or suggestions, I sure would appreciate it. Perhaps someone else has made this device work with linux. Thanks, Frank
Last edited by frank56 on 2011-03-28 02:03, edited 6 times in total.
Hi! my name if Frank. I have tried before to jump into linux about 8 years ago, but gave up after not being able to get hardware going. Now I will try again, and feel a need to learn to do more from the command line Frank

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

Re: Need advice about Clear Spot usb wireless modem

#2 Post by mzilikazi »

Looks like this guy was very close:
http://geek.the-daver.com/clear-usb-4g-on-linux-a-saga

This guy mentions some success with WINE
http://forums.clear.com/clearcom/topics ... ly_4443609
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G

frank56

Re: Need advice about Clear Spot usb wireless modem

#3 Post by frank56 »

Thanks Mzllkazi. I have been so busy, had not had a chance to follow up. Your links seem very helpful and go into much detail. I have already got some important info about my modem, just from reading your links. Frank
Hi! my name if Frank. I have tried before to jump into linux about 8 years ago, but gave up after not being able to get hardware going. Now I will try again, and feel a need to learn to do more from the command line Frank