Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Mouse & Keyboard not responding in XServer

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Psirus

Mouse & Keyboard not responding in XServer

#1 Post by Psirus »

Hello,
I've just installed Debian Testing XFCE, and mouse & keyboard don't respond to any inputs. The keyboard works just fine in the Recovery Shell, that's why I suspect a problem with the XServer.
Cheers
Psirus

zob

Re: Mouse & Keyboard not responding in XServer

#2 Post by zob »

Exactly the same problem here. I installed the CD1-testing LXDE on a Lenovo Ideapad S10-3. I can't get past the login screen because neither the keyboard, the touchpad or the mouse i working.
Strangely the keyboard IS registrering something, because the "magic keys" ALT+Sys Req+R,E,I,S,U,B work and let's me reboot. But fx CTRL+ALT+DELETE don't do anything.

vbrummond

#3 Post by vbrummond »

Have you tried using another keyboard? Though for the first poster this probably will not work. Check to see if you have a /etc/X11/xorg.conf or not. If so, perhaps delete it (unless you know you need it such as for nvidia drivers).

Edit: Delete by backing it up:

Code: Select all

mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup
Always on Debian Testing

zob

#4 Post by zob »

Thank you, for you respone. I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but it really does sound like the same problem.

I didn't (and still don't) have a xorg.conf file.
I tried with an external keyboard. At first it didn't work. But after unplugging and plugging back in, it actually worked (that was like a mouse/keyboard set from my desktop - Logitech). I tried other mice. They didn't work, nor did the keyboard or the touchpad build into the netbook.

I should probably add that the keyboard also works for me in the recovery console. And both keyboard and touchpad worked during installation.

Is it a driver of some kind I need, maybe?
Or do I have to write a xorg.conf file.

Mr James

#5 Post by Mr James »

It's not a matter of different keyboard/mouse - you need to try different connectors. My USB mouse does not work in the GUI installer but does (perfectly) in X, for example.
asus S551L laptop :: debian stable :: dwm

zob

#6 Post by zob »

Thank you for your comment Mr. James. However I'm not sure I understand what you are suggesting.
I already have an external keyboard and mouse working in GUI (the logitech set from my desktop pc). But my end goal is to make the build-in keyboard in this netbook work, it kind of defies the purpose of a netbook, if you have to carry an external keyboard around :wink:

Mr James

#7 Post by Mr James »

zob wrote:Thank you for your comment Mr. James. However I'm not sure I understand what you are suggesting.
I already have an external keyboard and mouse working in GUI (the logitech set from my desktop pc). But my end goal is to make the build-in keyboard in this netbook work, it kind of defies the purpose of a netbook, if you have to carry an external keyboard around :wink:
Whoops, my bad. I thought you were the OP who didn't mention the type of machine he was on and therefore I assumed he was on a desktop. Sorry.
asus S551L laptop :: debian stable :: dwm

zob

#8 Post by zob »

No worries.

I don't know about OP with regard to the following, but when i boot to recovery console the last line before I am prompted for root-login i the following:

Code: Select all

startpar: service(s) returned failure: udev ... failed!
I guess that makes it similar to this:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... pc-874459/

I also get series of acpi errors from dmesg. Freely parafrased (because I can really copy paste), it is something like:
ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed [\_SB_.PCIO._0SC] (Node 'some numbers'), AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20110112/psparse-536)

and then some of these.
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link.........

greenjelly

#9 Post by greenjelly »

Did any of you manage to get this issue sorted?

I too am having the same issue - doesn't matter if I use gdm3 or kdm as the login manager, I cannot find any xorg.conf files anywhere on my system, and it doesn't matter if I use PS/2 or USB input devices.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much help for this on the web and the Debian user mailing list is being very quiet on this issue. I'm real eager to get this matter resolved, but don't know even where to begin.

greenjelly

#10 Post by greenjelly »

I've now resolved this issue on my machine. See this post http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 36#p376136

I hope that this works for you guys too.

KangBejo

#11 Post by KangBejo »

i try this at shell recovery
apt-get install xserver-xorg-input-evdev

restart computer (shutdown -r now)

after restart keyboard & mouse work fine