Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

WOO HOO !!! Xfce 4.8 just landed in Sid.

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
bohu

WOO HOO !!! Xfce 4.8 just landed in Sid.

#1 Post by bohu »

XFCE 4.8 is finally in Debian Unstable.

http://packages.qa.debian.org/x/xfce4/n ... 5234Z.html

I would kiss the devs but they are too far away :-)
---------- NRA certified pistol instructor, linux advocate, bookworm, pitbull enthusiast ----------

vbrummond

Re: WOO HOO !!! Xfce 4.8 just landed in Sid.

#2 Post by vbrummond »

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up.
Always on Debian Testing

Magnusmaster

#3 Post by Magnusmaster »

I updated sid. Xfce 4.8 works fine, but for some reason the applications menu button isn't in the taskbar and I can't find a way to put it back. There is an applications menu when you right-click the desktop, but it's uncomfortable as the apps menu is below anything else! I tried right-clicking the panel and choosing "Add New Item", but the Xfce Menu button is nowhere to be found!

bohu

#4 Post by bohu »

that's odd. Maybe they call it something else now? Or maybe that bit hasn't come down to Sid just yet? I will upgrade as well and see what happens.
---------- NRA certified pistol instructor, linux advocate, bookworm, pitbull enthusiast ----------

traveler

#5 Post by traveler »

Running aptosid in a vbox for kicks and I don't see it yet. Maybe it's a German thing... :D
Tried it in another vbox in OpenSuse and it is definitely sweet.
I wish for a conjugal visit and world peace. (Don't want to seem selfish.)

Magnusmaster

#6 Post by Magnusmaster »

I guess they didn't add the Xfce menu panel for some reason. I'd like to file a bug report for this but I'm not sure in what package to file the bug report. Another thing that's broken is thunar-archive-plugin, so you can't right click and extract.

mephjones

#7 Post by mephjones »

Just when I had given up hope, they go ahead and pull it off, the night before I go on vacation :) I will be testing this in a KVM while packing.

bohu

#8 Post by bohu »

I have a menu button on mine, so not sure what happened to your system. It is the third item in the 'add new items' dialog... Application Menu.

upgrading to xfce 4.8 caused gedit to be removed. Bummer. I'll use geany or mouspad until gedit returns.

Just noticed the weather plugin has dependency issues and is not yet included. No problem, I'll do without for a few days.

bohu

#9 Post by bohu »

This new network thingy in Thunar removes a big obstacle to adoption of XFCE, especially on employee workstations. Makes me wonder how many businesses will go to XFCE 4.8 to avoid the learning curve with Gnome3.

secipolla

#10 Post by secipolla »

I upgraded last night but didn't log into Xfce yet. I would like to kow if it picks-up the 4.6 configs in home or if some folders will be just 'abandoned' there.

gradinaruvasile

#11 Post by gradinaruvasile »

secipolla wrote:I upgraded last night but didn't log into Xfce yet. I would like to kow if it picks-up the 4.6 configs in home or if some folders will be just 'abandoned' there.
I think some of the configuration options were moved around. But anyways, if you did install it, why dont you try it...?

I tried xfce 4.8 a while ago, compiled the whole thing, including apps. It worked quite good (noticeable faster than gnome on an Athlon II 3.0 GHz machine), but i have one problem with it - the power button is not picked up by xfce4-power-manager and i cant suspend my desktop with it as i usually do.
Everything else works (including pm-suspend, suspend from the logout buttons menu) and it is just plain annoying. Sometimes it works, but only after a reboot and only once - after i wake the machine, it doesnt work again. Acpi picks up the button and it works perfectly well in gnome-power-manager.

Other than that it is pretty much Xfce4.6 with improvements - definitely the native gvfs network support + thunar's network support is one of the most visible changes. Thunars custom scripts work very well.
I still had to use gigolo for mount management - it is a different (than gnome/kde), but perfectly working solution, i have no problems with it (just put gigolo in the autostart and in the tray).
I also like the roll down "Directory Menu" - it is clearly inspired from lxpanel (or viceversa?).
And you can edit the menus now, only with gnome's alacarte, but that is a working solution finally.

Anyway i will use it when that irritating power button issue is solved or at least i have some working workaround... Anyone... :?

bohu

#12 Post by bohu »

secipolla wrote:I upgraded last night but didn't log into Xfce yet. I would like to kow if it picks-up the 4.6 configs in home or if some folders will be just 'abandoned' there.
I didn't have to reset anything and all my old settings were still there- single-click files, same fonts, same theme, same wallpaper, etc. Except for the panel, which is totally new. For that, they give the option of migrating old settings or taking default. I chose default panel and then customized from there, since a previous poster here had issues migrating panel settings.
Last edited by bohu on 2011-04-20 13:52, edited 1 time in total.

bohu

#13 Post by bohu »

clipman and screenshooter came in last night. Looks like most of the pieces are in now. Only weather plugin and a few others are still missing.

Magnusmaster

#14 Post by Magnusmaster »

I have a menu button on mine, so not sure what happened to your system. It is the third item in the 'add new items' dialog... Application Menu.
Weird, it's not there at all.

eriefisher

#15 Post by eriefisher »

bohu wrote:This new network thingy in Thunar removes a big obstacle to adoption of XFCE, especially on employee workstations. Makes me wonder how many businesses will go to XFCE 4.8 to avoid the learning curve with Gnome3.
What version of thunar do you have? I don't see any network "thingy" in version 1.2.1.
Xfce4 4.14

wayne128

#16 Post by wayne128 »

[quote="eriefisher"

What version of thunar do you have? I don't see any network "thingy" in version 1.2.1.[/quote]

Same as you, my Thunar version is 1.2.1 and there is no network icon as like in other distros on xfce4.8

gradinaruvasile

#17 Post by gradinaruvasile »

eriefisher wrote:
bohu wrote:This new network thingy in Thunar removes a big obstacle to adoption of XFCE, especially on employee workstations. Makes me wonder how many businesses will go to XFCE 4.8 to avoid the learning curve with Gnome3.
What version of thunar do you have? I don't see any network "thingy" in version 1.2.1.
The ability to open/mount via gvfs smb://, sftp://, etc type of locations.
I have the network icon. But i compiled everything from source (as some packages are not yet available or they still have conflicts).
Last edited by gradinaruvasile on 2011-04-21 02:10, edited 1 time in total.

eriefisher

#18 Post by eriefisher »

Won't accept those protocols. What version do you have?
Xfce4 4.14

gradinaruvasile

#19 Post by gradinaruvasile »

Version 1.2.0. Compiled from the sources from the xfce site:
http://files.myopera.com/gradinaruvasil ... _scrot.png

bohu

#20 Post by bohu »

I have 1.2.1 and there is a network icon at the bottom of the file tree.