Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

WOO HOO !!! Xfce 4.8 just landed in Sid.

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
bohu

Re: WOO HOO !!! Xfce 4.8 just landed in Sid.

#21 Post by bohu »

hmm...

I can't shutdown or reboot from my user account. I must log in as root and then shutdown. I wonder if this will fix itself in a future update or do I need to go modify some permission thing somewhere.
---------- NRA certified pistol instructor, linux advocate, bookworm, pitbull enthusiast ----------

gradinaruvasile

#22 Post by gradinaruvasile »

bohu wrote:hmm...

I can't shutdown or reboot from my user account. I must log in as root and then shutdown. I wonder if this will fix itself in a future update or do I need to go modify some permission thing somewhere.
You use Xdm or Slim or anything else than gdm?

Because i tried them all and gdm3 is the only one that sets the policykit permissions right on login.
There was some discussion on this topic somewhere on a xfce list but the solution offered there did not work for me.

So, install gdm and it will work.

bohu

#23 Post by bohu »

Interesting. I will dig around in the docs for Slim and see if I can work this out.
---------- NRA certified pistol instructor, linux advocate, bookworm, pitbull enthusiast ----------

demosthenese

#24 Post by demosthenese »

bohu wrote:Interesting. I will dig around in the docs for Slim and see if I can work this out.
If you work it out post a solution. :D I switched from slim to gdm3 to reenable the laptop power functions and shutdown options but would prefer to use slim.

bohu

#25 Post by bohu »

Several possible solutions here:

http://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?pid=21331#p21331

you add this line to /etc/sudoers

bohu linux.net = NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/xfsm-shutdown-helper

in the above example, bohu is my username and linux.net is my hostname. If you did not set a custom hostname at install time, your hostname is probably localhost.

also in your 'session and startup' dialog make sure 'prompt on logout' is checked.

gonna try these and see if they work for me.

bohu

#26 Post by bohu »

editing sudoers did not work. Going off to RTFM some more. Will post the solution if I find it.

BTW, I did discover that you can reboot or shutdown from the login screen with SLiM. Type 'reboot' or 'halt' in the username box and then give root password.

demosthenese

#27 Post by demosthenese »

The real inconvenience with slim for me was the lack of suspend when closing the laptop lid.

gradinaruvasile

#28 Post by gradinaruvasile »

demosthenese wrote:The real inconvenience with slim for me was the lack of suspend when closing the laptop lid.
See here:

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=52565

Here is a working solution of bypassing power-manager + policykit for suspend/hibernate.
It works by altering the acpi event handler scripts to execute directly pm-suspend/hibernate/whatever when an event (powerbutton/lid/whatever) occurs. I have it working on my desktop (works with slim/xdm/without dm too where i have no suspend/hibernate from the logout menu) - the example given is for power button, but if you modify the trigger script for lid (/etc/acpi/events/lidbtn) to execute the same script as the power button it should work.

cynwulf

#29 Post by cynwulf »

I noticed this as well, for the moment, I'm logging out and shutting down from tty with sudo. I've tried slim and still had the same problem and there is no way I'm installing gdm.

Muhv

#30 Post by Muhv »

Hey! Just upgraded testing branch and no problems what so ever. But why is it that distrowatch refers to version 4.8.0 in red, but not 4.8.1? Also why is ver 4.6.2 still in the about xfce option?

gradinaruvasile

#31 Post by gradinaruvasile »

For the ones who want to shutdown/suspend/hibernate from slim/xdm:

There is a very simple solution: add a launcher to the panel the has "gksudo bash pm-suspend" or "gksudo bash pm-hibernate" in it.
Edit: sorry, i forgot that you have to call bash scriptname with gksudo.
And the power-manager functions too are disabled because of the lack of policykit authentication.
Muhv wrote:Hey! Just upgraded testing branch and no problems what so ever. But why is it that distrowatch refers to version 4.8.0 in red, but not 4.8.1? Also why is ver 4.6.2 still in the about xfce option?
You are using Testing - you have 4.6. The xfce 4.8 stuff is in Unstable/Sid. You have to wait a few weeks for it or install it from unstable but that is a bit complicated.
Last edited by gradinaruvasile on 2011-04-22 11:59, edited 1 time in total.

Muhv

#32 Post by Muhv »

:) Yeah, one can always download stuff from sid repos to testing, without waiting. Thats what i did. And it was a piece of cake, no complications.

gradinaruvasile

#33 Post by gradinaruvasile »

Muhv wrote::) Yeah, one can always download stuff from sid repos to testing, without waiting. Thats what i did. And it was a piece of cake, no complications.
Well it wasnt for me. Some packages had dependency issues (maybe an apt mirror thing). So i went to xfce site, downloaded all the sources (including xfce applications) and compiled + installed from source.
BTW did you make sure that you have ALL important packages to 4.8 version? Because you may end up with a mix of 4.8 and 4.6 if you dont explicitly specify every single installed packages version.

Muhv

#34 Post by Muhv »

For some reason, few xfce 4.8 related packages, such as libxfce4util4, libxfce4util4-dbg, libxfce4util-bin did not get downloaded when i upgraded. Perhaps i just didn't have them. So those packages solved later the ver nr issue. I tried also, as soons as it hit unstable repos, to install on testing, but some dependency problems occured. Few days later they were gone, and now it looks stable enough to hit testing. No point waiting.

bohu

#35 Post by bohu »

gradinaruvasile wrote:For the ones who want to shutdown/suspend/hibernate from slim/xdm:

There is a very simple solution: add a launcher to the panel the has "gksudo bash pm-suspend" or "gksudo bash pm-hibernate" in it.
And the power-manager functions too are disabled because of the lack of policykit authentication.

gksudo bash pm-shutdown ?

bohu

#36 Post by bohu »

I see that thunar, thunar-data, and xfce4-settings just got upgraded in Sid. That may smooth out the upgrade for some folks.

gradinaruvasile

#37 Post by gradinaruvasile »

bohu wrote:
gradinaruvasile wrote:For the ones who want to shutdown/suspend/hibernate from slim/xdm:

gksudo bash pm-shutdown ?
no.

"gksudo bash poweroff"

for shutdown.

Muhv

#38 Post by Muhv »

In order to manage trash in 4.8 desktop, you have to install gvfs? And by the looks of it, the gvfs package has some serious bug.

gradinaruvasile

#39 Post by gradinaruvasile »

Muhv wrote:In order to manage trash in 4.8 desktop, you have to install gvfs? And by the looks of it, the gvfs package has some serious bug.
Gfvs works just fine with xfce.

What bug are you referring to?

Muhv

#40 Post by Muhv »

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=615728

Looks like the problem is related to amd64 install process. So i guess it's safe to install it on 686?