Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Corrupted Files in Debian

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
khatkarrohit

Corrupted Files in Debian

#1 Post by khatkarrohit »

I am having a strange problem with my PC. I have 2 hard drives of WD ,One is 1 TB and other is 2 TB capacity. I have installed Debian 6 in 1 TB hard drive from live DVD. Before it I was using Ubuntu 10.10, the same problem was their in Ubuntu too.

Whenever I download new files in 1 TB hard drive or copy files into it or from it then they got corrupted. When files are in 2 TB hard disk then they show the correct checksum but after copying into 1 TB their checksum changes and when I try to write them in DVD the DVD shows error when played.

I have to install Windows to download Debian live DVD and then from windows I burnt it onto DVD. Then after installing Debian I copied that ISO file of debian onto 1 TB hard disk then it shows different SHA1/md5 checksum. I use the virtual box to install it virtually and it is not installing and shows error.

Is their any problem in software or in the hard disk.

mvdan

Re: Corrupted Files in Debian

#2 Post by mvdan »

The problem seems to come from the 1TB hard drive. I would wipe it and check the disk using the disk utilities and the SMART data / tests.

If you get any errors, that means that the hard drive is at least broken in some parts. I had the same with one of mine, and the problem was that a few sectors were broken, and anything that was copied in there (without any errors given) was not copied correctly and hence was not usable.

Hope this helps!
Unstable 'Sid' amd64 - Awesome WM - https://gitorious.org/~mvdan
Richard M. Stallman wrote:We can't take the future of freedom for granted. Don't take it for granted! If you want to keep your freedom, you must be prepared for it.