Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

WOO HOO !!! Xfce 4.8 just landed in Sid.

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
bugsbunny

Re: WOO HOO !!! Xfce 4.8 just landed in Sid.

#41 Post by bugsbunny »

It should even be safe to install on a 64 bit system. The problem is with the build process, so you should only have an issue if you're actually compiling it yourself. Also according to the report it's fixed in version 1.7.2-1 which was apparently released in January (to experimental, which currently has 1.8.0-1)

Muhv

#42 Post by Muhv »

Yeah, it's ok. Just installed it and trash icon is back on desk. Although, i still don't like the idea that even in 4.8 ver, i have gnome related package. gvfs just brouht in libgnome-keyring0.

kc1di

#43 Post by kc1di »

Just installed 4.8 form sid repositories and all seems to be working fine here. menu was there everything I would normally use seems to be working.
so far am enjoying it very much.
:D
Dave
Morse Code -An Early digital mode !
Bookworm
John 3:16
Registered Linux User # 462608

emariz

#44 Post by emariz »

This ConsoleKit issue could be related to the authentication problem in Xfce:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=350677#p350677

bohu

#45 Post by bohu »

emariz is right. Consolekit is the culprit.

1) Using synaptic, remove consolekit. On my system this also removed policykit-1, policykit-1-gnome, gconf-editor, and hplip. I don't know what would happen if you reboot while these files are missing so don't reboot!

2) Switch to Debian Stable (squeeze) repository and reinstall consolekit and then lock it at that version. In the synaptic menu, Package>Lock_Version.

3) Switch to wheezy repo and reinstall policykit-1 and policykit-1-gnome.

4) Go back to sid repo and then reboot.
---------- NRA certified pistol instructor, linux advocate, bookworm, pitbull enthusiast ----------

gradinaruvasile

#46 Post by gradinaruvasile »

bohu wrote:emariz is right. Consolekit is the culprit.

1) Using synaptic, remove consolekit. On my system this also removed policykit-1, policykit-1-gnome, gconf-editor, and hplip. I don't know what would happen if you reboot while these files are missing so don't reboot!

2) Switch to Debian Stable (squeeze) repository and reinstall consolekit and then lock it at that version. In the synaptic menu, Package>Lock_Version.

3) Switch to wheezy repo and reinstall policykit-1 and policykit-1-gnome.

4) Go back to sid repo and then reboot.
It can be done from the command line by:

Code: Select all

aptitude install consolekit=0.4.1-4
provided that you have the squeeze repos added.

Also, the package can be pinned in the /etc/apt/preferences file:

Package: consolekit
Pin: release v=0.4.1-4
Pin-Priority: 999

Muhv

#47 Post by Muhv »

Speaking of policykit, I get this error when trying to access usb memorystick from desktop:

GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1 was not provided by any .service files
The old-fashion way trough terminal works just fine, but not the easy way. Any ideas?

gradinaruvasile

#48 Post by gradinaruvasile »

Muhv wrote:Speaking of policykit, I get this error when trying to access usb memorystick from desktop:

GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1 was not provided by any .service files
The old-fashion way trough terminal works just fine, but not the easy way. Any ideas?

That one works well. Tried on 2 computers that use xdm, both mount usb stuff, have hibernate/suspend etc. With the testing version (0.4.4-1) they do not.

BTW the power manager is broken on both my computers, it does not react to powerbutton or lid events (interesting it worked on my laptop a few times, but then complete ignorance). Anyway, i hardwired both the lid and power button events to the sleep function and works perfectly since then (even locking the screen with xscreensaver), bypassing power-manager. On my laptop power-manager became a battery status monitoring applet since no other "power" functions work reliably.

murr4y

#49 Post by murr4y »

Hi,

I just installed Xfce 4.8, it seems to work.
However the transparency option for the panel is missing. (xfce4-panel 4.8.3)

Do I have to push some magical buttons? :)

nadir

#50 Post by nadir »

murr4y wrote:Hi,

I just installed Xfce 4.8, it seems to work.
However the transparency option for the panel is missing. (xfce4-panel 4.8.3)

Do I have to push some magical buttons? :)
It works here.
I do: settings -> panel -> appearance -> opacity.
I use compiz. You have got:
settings -> window-manager-tweaks -> compositor
enabled?
(assuming that is necessary, not sure).
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

murr4y

#51 Post by murr4y »

settings -> window-manager-tweaks -> compositor
enabled?
Ahh, that did the trick, thanks! Should have thought of that by myself ;)

gradinaruvasile

#52 Post by gradinaruvasile »

Unfortunately this compositor is software only, it is nothing like compiz or the like.
The problem with it is that makes movie playback tear (vdpau and xv) and sometimes slow down my desktop considerably when i resize vdpau windows. So its a no-go for me.

BTW i had that same power manager issue on my laptop - after a while no power button or lid events reached the power-manager. I modified the acpi events just as i did on my desktop and now they work.

Muhv

#53 Post by Muhv »

gradinaruvasile wrote:
Well, thats kinda strange. I mean, does everybody else who uses 4.8 hade to downgrade their consolekit in order to get mount function to work?

bohu

#54 Post by bohu »

Muhv wrote:
gradinaruvasile wrote:
Well, thats kinda strange. I mean, does everybody else who uses 4.8 hade to downgrade their consolekit in order to get mount function to work?
No, just those running Slim instead of GDM. I don't understand all the details but it seems the current version of SLiM requires that version of consolekit. Upgrading to Sid will upgrade consolekit but not slim and that breaks the reboot/shutdown functions for regular users. Eventually, slim will be upgraded and this issue will work itself out.

Just one of the many joys of running sid. You get frequent breakage. And this is exactly what Sid is for - to catch this stuff and fix it before moving stuff down to testing (Wheezy). If you stick to Wheezy you probably wont be affected by the consolekit problem.
---------- NRA certified pistol instructor, linux advocate, bookworm, pitbull enthusiast ----------

gradinaruvasile

#55 Post by gradinaruvasile »

bohu wrote: If you stick to Wheezy you probably wont be affected by the consolekit problem.
Wrong. I have Wheezy and i had this issue with xdm on 2 computers.

Muhv

#56 Post by Muhv »

In my case - their's no slim or gdm installed. Just plain nodm to get X running. There can't be much options what the problem should be. Most likely missing some silly single package or something. Have to hope then when 4.8 hits testing, the mount issue will resolve by itself. :P

emariz

#57 Post by emariz »

bohu wrote:And this is exactly what Sid is for - to catch this stuff and fix it before moving stuff down to testing (Wheezy). If you stick to Wheezy you probably wont be affected by the consolekit problem.
As of early March, Testing users are also affected. It affects users who don't use a graphical login manager (or use a basic login manager, like Slim). It's more a policy change in ConsoleKit (1) than a bug, yet it affects basic tasks of many users.

1. http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepor ... =597937#49

gradinaruvasile

#58 Post by gradinaruvasile »

gradinaruvasile wrote:
bohu wrote: If you stick to Wheezy you probably wont be affected by the consolekit problem.
Wrong. I have Wheezy and i had this issue with xdm on both my computers.

Muhv

#59 Post by Muhv »

emariz wrote: As of early March, Testing users are also affected. It affects users who don't use a graphical login manager (or use a basic login manager, like Slim). It's more a policy change in ConsoleKit (1) than a bug, yet it affects basic tasks of many users.

1. http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepor ... =597937#49
Oh man. That's just great. Way to go consolekit development team! Let's go and mess perfectly working things up. Nevertheless, I like to believe that there's a reasonable cause. Oh well, just have to grab from stable repo the older and decent version of consolekit.

bugsbunny

#60 Post by bugsbunny »

For those with the problem - instead of gpoing to an older version of consolekit (which is counterproductive in the long run, since consolekit is apparently not going to be changed) do you have libpam-ck-connector installed? If not does installing it solve the problem? (It's a recommends of consolekit, so if you don't install recommends you may not have it installed)