Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

how do you install debian squeeze from usb thumb drive

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
baronobeefdip

how do you install debian squeeze from usb thumb drive

#1 Post by baronobeefdip »

my dvd drive broke and i read that usb storage is more dependable than optical installation media so i want to know how to install debian squeeze through a usb thumb drive

will unetbootin work, if notthen what will

Saisama

Re: how do you install debian squeeze from usb thumb drive

#3 Post by Saisama »

It work well just follow the command

iamthat

#4 Post by iamthat »

I've just installed Debian Wheezy from usb stick with netinst image written by unetbootin, without any problems.

baronobeefdip

#5 Post by baronobeefdip »

i tested it out with the cd image with the unetbotin method, it worked great but one problem. the cd version is so minimal it's nearly useless so i want to try it with the dvd image instead i'll let you know how it goes

kiyop
Location: Where persons without desire to improve themselves fear to tread, in Japan

#6 Post by kiyop »

Have you installed debian into internal HDD after booting USB thumb?

If your installed debian can access internet, you can install many packages (application, software) into the installed debian.
Do not misunderstand.
The debian installed in your USB thumb drive (CD image) is different from the usual installed debian on partition.

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-h ... t-get.html
Openbox, JWM: Jessie, Sid, Arch / Win XP (on VirtualBox), 10
http://kiyoandkei.bbs.fc2.com/

baronobeefdip

#7 Post by baronobeefdip »

i just used it with the dvd image and there is one problem, the usb ports won't work as in i can't install the firmware for my wlan nic so i can get everything else plus i suspect that the sound doesn't work like the last time. but when i installed directly from the dvd disk ithe sound worked but since my dvd drive broke i have to find some alternative means

hhh

#8 Post by hhh »

@baronobeefdip, you can install a fully functional desktop via USB by using a Live image from one of these links...
i386...
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0 ... bt-hybrid/
amd64...
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0 ... so-hybrid/

Unetbootin failed for me but dd worked fine (with the USB unmounted, I used sudo dd if=/path_to_iso of=/path_to_USB bs=4M;sync , the path to my USB was /dev/sdb but check your path with Gparted first). The images have kexec-tools installed which makes a restart of the system bypass grub. This is convenient for some who want a fast reboot, or just remove the package for normal restarts.

I also needed to install wireless firmware via USB, the way I did that was to let network detection fail during the install, then choose the option to configure the network later. When the install was finished and after rebooting (I had to do a hard reboot), install the firmware to /lib/firmware, click on the wicd applet to open it's options, type in wlan0 (or whatever your interface is) in the proper place and click the "Refresh" tab. I hope that helps.

PS: That no capitals, no punctuation thing is annoying as hell.

baronobeefdip

#9 Post by baronobeefdip »

how do i transfer those images to usb, and will it be like the equivalent of installing it from the dvd disk, will it install the same stuff and what about the sound since it's a bit of an old system. do i need to use unetbootin on this one or do you reccomend using something else

hhh

#10 Post by hhh »

yes it's the same as running from cd or dvd no unetbootin didn't work for me i used dd read my post again i don't know about sound that's why you use a live cd/dvd so you can see if things work before installing

eric1959

#11 Post by eric1959 »

PS: That no capitals, no punctuation thing is annoying as hell.
+1
Debian Bits And Snips
Squeeze, Gnome, amd64, Intel Core i3-530, Geforce GT330

lbm

#12 Post by lbm »

There is no need to use unetBootin. Debian have an official way of doing this in they faq under The net install i believe it is.

I have done it this way and it is working very well