Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to change mouse cursor size ?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
shirish

How to change mouse cursor size ?

#1 Post by shirish »

Hi all,
I have been trying for quite some days to change the size and theme of the cursor . I was expecting that there be something in preferences in GNOME v2 but is not there (Is there some enhancement there in GNOME v3? )

Anyways, after googling quite a bit, I came across a tip to change the the cursor theme.

Code: Select all

sudo update-alternatives --config x-cursor-theme
The thing to do here is choose some alternative theme and logout and login back.

$ sudo update-alternatives --config x-cursor-theme
[sudo] password for shirish: 
There are 39 choices for the alternative x-cursor-theme (providing /usr/share/icons/default/index.theme).

Selection    Path                                        Priority   Status
------------------------------------------------------------
  0            /usr/share/icons/DMZ-White/cursor.theme      90        auto mode
  1            /etc/X11/cursors/oxy-black.theme             50        manual mode
  2            /etc/X11/cursors/oxy-blue.theme              50        manual mode
  3            /etc/X11/cursors/oxy-bluecurve.theme         50        manual mode
  4            /etc/X11/cursors/oxy-brown.theme             50        manual mode
  5            /etc/X11/cursors/oxy-cherry.theme            50        manual mode
  6            /etc/X11/cursors/oxy-chrome.theme            50        manual mode
  7            /etc/X11/cursors/oxy-desert.theme            50        manual mode
  8            /etc/X11/cursors/oxy-emerald.theme           50        manual mode
  9            /etc/X11/cursors/oxy-green.theme             50        manual mode
  10           /etc/X11/cursors/oxy-grey.theme              50        manual mode
  11           /etc/X11/cursors/oxy-honeycomb.theme         50        manual mode
  12           /etc/X11/cursors/oxy-hot_orange.theme        50        manual mode
  13           /etc/X11/cursors/oxy-lilac.theme             50        manual mode
  14           /etc/X11/cursors/oxy-midnight_meadow.theme   50        manual mode
  15           /etc/X11/cursors/oxy-navy.theme              50        manual mode
  16           /etc/X11/cursors/oxy-norway.theme            50        manual mode
* 17           /etc/X11/cursors/oxy-obsidian-hc.theme       50        manual mode
  18           /etc/X11/cursors/oxy-obsidian.theme          50        manual mode
  19           /etc/X11/cursors/oxy-olympus-inv.theme       50        manual mode
  20           /etc/X11/cursors/oxy-olympus.theme           50        manual mode
  21           /etc/X11/cursors/oxy-orchid.theme            50        manual mode
  22           /etc/X11/cursors/oxy-oxygen.theme            50        manual mode
  23           /etc/X11/cursors/oxy-peach.theme             50        manual mode
  24           /etc/X11/cursors/oxy-purple.theme            50        manual mode
  25           /etc/X11/cursors/oxy-red-argentina.theme     50        manual mode
  26           /etc/X11/cursors/oxy-red.theme               50        manual mode
  27           /etc/X11/cursors/oxy-sea_blue.theme          50        manual mode
  28           /etc/X11/cursors/oxy-steel.theme             50        manual mode
  29           /etc/X11/cursors/oxy-terra.theme             50        manual mode
  30           /etc/X11/cursors/oxy-terra_green.theme       50        manual mode
  31           /etc/X11/cursors/oxy-violet.theme            50        manual mode
  32           /etc/X11/cursors/oxy-viorange.theme          50        manual mode
  33           /etc/X11/cursors/oxy-white.theme             50        manual mode
  34           /etc/X11/cursors/oxy-whitewater.theme        50        manual mode
  35           /etc/X11/cursors/oxy-wonton.theme            50        manual mode
  36           /etc/X11/cursors/oxy-yellow.theme            50        manual mode
  37           /etc/X11/cursors/oxy-zion.theme              50        manual mode
  38           /usr/share/icons/DMZ-Black/cursor.theme      30        manual mode
  39           /usr/share/icons/DMZ-White/cursor.theme      90        manual mode

Press enter to keep the current choice[*], or type selection number:
I haven't been able to find how to change cursor sizes as well and what the current size is ?

I did find another command xrdb -query but that also doesn't seem to be much helpful either :-

$ xrdb -query
*customization:	-color
Xft.antialias:	1
Xft.dpi:	96.09375
Xft.hinting:	1
Xft.hintstyle:	hintmedium
Xft.rgba:	none
Xpdf*fileFilterStyle:	filter_hidden_files
Looking forward to info.
Last edited by shirish on 2011-06-22 09:09, edited 1 time in total.
Intel Dual-Core CPU E5400 (soc 775) @ 2.70GHz, onboard Intel G33, Asus MB P5KPL-AM IN (Intel G31), D-Link 2750u modem+router, 64-bit Debian Testing, Mate 1.26

jw013

Re: How to change mouse cursor size ?

#2 Post by jw013 »

This page mentions a Xcursor.size resource. Maybe you could play around with that?

qjqqyy

#3 Post by qjqqyy »

also, compiz somehow will override your cursor

sgosnell

#4 Post by sgosnell »

Have you tried right-clicking on the desktop, selecting "Change desktop background", then Themes, Customize, and then the Pointer tab, and moving the slider to get the size you want? You can get to the same dialog through System/Preferences/Appearance. It's easier to get the size you want through a GUI than trial and error.
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

shirish

#5 Post by shirish »

sgosnell wrote:Have you tried right-clicking on the desktop, selecting "Change desktop background", then Themes, Customize, and then the Pointer tab, and moving the slider to get the size you want? You can get to the same dialog through System/Preferences/Appearance. It's easier to get the size you want through a GUI than trial and error.
Thank you for that. I saw it and tried that route and it seems that the themes I want/ed to use does not have multiple sizes in it. Oxygencursors in my case. I did file a bug in this case as well http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=631267

Does anybody of a nice good-looking cursors theme/s for desktop environments ?

Am trying though a few of the cursor themes within the debian universe.

Edit: Found chameleon-cursor-theme and they are nice.......
Intel Dual-Core CPU E5400 (soc 775) @ 2.70GHz, onboard Intel G33, Asus MB P5KPL-AM IN (Intel G31), D-Link 2750u modem+router, 64-bit Debian Testing, Mate 1.26

slipdog01

#6 Post by slipdog01 »

Tell ya what. I never went to custimize until I read this. Thank you so much.