Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

VLC no image

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
rasto

VLC no image

#1 Post by rasto »

Hi,

when I run some video it did not show me image. I can only listen sound. When I was looking on google I found out that my problem could solve by using "X11 video", but it does not help me. Here is my error statement:

Code: Select all

Blocked: call to unsetenv("DBUS_ACTIVATION_ADDRESS")
Blocked: call to unsetenv("DBUS_ACTIVATION_BUS_TYPE")
Warning: call to signal(13, 0x1)
[0x95a98fc] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
Blocked: call to setlocale(6, "")
Blocked: call to sigaction(17, 0xb700a0d4, 0xb700a048)
Warning: call to srand(1309373896)
Warning: call to rand()
Blocked: call to setlocale(6, "")

(process:5537): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
        Using the fallback 'C' locale.
[mpeg4 @ 0xb0416db0] Invalid and inefficient vfw-avi packed B frames detected
swScaler: pal8 is not supported as output pixel format
[0x99cb78c] swscale scale error: could not init SwScaler and/or allocate memory
[0x99db704] xcb_xv generic error: no available XVideo adaptor
[swscaler @ 0x99f1a20] bad dst image pointers
No accelerated IMDCT transform found
[swscaler @ 0x99f1a20] bad dst image pointers
The last line still repeats until I close VLC.

kevmitch

Re: VLC no image

#2 Post by kevmitch »

Do you have debian-multimedia enabled? Sometimes that causes issues.

rasto

#3 Post by rasto »

Yes, I have enabled this repository http://www.debian-multimedia.org . Any ideas to fix?

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

I noticed this error message:

Code: Select all

swScaler: pal8 is not supported as output pixel format
Were you ever able to play that exact video before correctly?

Can any other player, such as mplayer, play the video?

Can you post the problem video or a section of it for download, such as on Google Docs or Dropbox, so we can poke at it ourselves?
MX Linux packager and developer

kevmitch

#5 Post by kevmitch »

Unfortunately, it appears that debian-multimedia (or more specifically some of the libraries therein), is incompatible with vlc.
http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=70719&f=13

It likely has something to do with the fact that there is no "vlc" package in the repository (not sure why because there is an "mplayer"), but libraries used by vlc get pulled from there. As a result the vlc you're running wasn't built on the libraries it's linking to. It's conceivable that this could work in some circumstances, but it can very easily cause problems.

Try removing the debian-multimedia packages and installing the official Debian versions.
If that works, you may need to rebuild vlc from source yourself linking against debian-multimedia libraries to get full functionality.

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

Hmmm---is there any demand for a VLC 1.1.10 built against the Squeeze debian-multimedia ffmpeg libavcodec-dev libraries? I can knock out i386 and amd64 packages if anyone wants them.

Conversely, these 1.1.10 packages were build against a backported Debian libavcodec 0.6.1-5, and seem to work with those libraries or the DMO 0.6.1+svn version without the problems: http://main.mepis-deb.org/mepiscr/repo/pool/main/v/vlc/

bug

#7 Post by bug »

I had the same problem and fixed it here: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65484

rasto

#8 Post by rasto »

I did everything what was written here http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=70719&f=13 . VLC works fine but there is problem that dvd-rip is not in standard debian repository. It was in debian-multimedia.

stevepusser

#9 Post by stevepusser »

So is it solved or not? If you want both VLC working for all codecs plus the DMO ffmpeg and libraries for transcoding, you'll need a different build of VLC, either by doing it yourself or getting it elsewhere.

rasto

#10 Post by rasto »

stevepusser wrote:So is it solved or not? If you want both VLC working for all codecs plus the DMO ffmpeg and libraries for transcoding, you'll need a different build of VLC, either by doing it yourself or getting it elsewhere.
Ok, it is solved.

M0NkEy_d._LuFfY

#11 Post by M0NkEy_d._LuFfY »

Thank you,it was very helpful....btw does any of the other mirror's(like the debian multimedia mirror will give a prob in future??)

stevepusser

#12 Post by stevepusser »

It looks like debian-multimedia is providing a squeeze-backports build of vlc 1.1.13 that is compatible with its version of ffmpeg, so that has solved this problem.

Any repo that updates ffmpeg to a signicant degree runs the risk of breaking some multimedia applications.