Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

What desktop/window manager do you use?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

What desktop environment/window manager do you use?

GNOME 2
28%
GNOME 3
6%
KDE
13%
Unity
No votes
XFCE
27%
LXDE
2%
Enlightenment
1%
Openbox
9%
Another window manager/desktop not listed
13%

Total votes: 310

dmhdlr

Re: What desktop/window manager do you use?

#101 Post by dmhdlr »

vrkalak wrote:I have found Fluxbox to be easier to use and configure than Openbox, with many additional features.
Is tabbing one of them? What else?
[formerly known as Deckard]
"Emacs: making you posthuman since 1976"
Axiom #1: Emacs is a text interface prosthesis
Axiom #2: Org-mode gives you super cyborg organizational powers
cf. Why Emacs | Emacs-fu | EmacsWiki | Worg

Mark76

#102 Post by Mark76 »

Xfce4.

cage47

#103 Post by cage47 »

I absolutely refuse to replace my working hardware. the past two days I was running back in PClinuxOS until the recent updates rendered my Radeon9800pro useless. And I have NEVER been a fan of KDE 4.x. I got 4.6 sort of working ok. but the latest updates there crapped it out. So I gave up. Pulled out my old Lenny install cd's (I have my entire system installable from 3 custom made cd's) and reverted to KDE3.5. And that is where it's going to stay. As long as I can manually update Firefox, Thunderbird and Libreoffice, I'm fine. And it'll stay there until something really impresses me. So far I've gone through 6 distros this week to get my system back to working condition with no go. So back I went.
Bill "Elmer F.U.D." Gates says, "Be veh-we veh-we quiet. I'm hunting PENGUINS. HUHUHUHUHUHUHUHUH!"

geazzy

#104 Post by geazzy »

Hi all Im use gnome 2.x :D

bugsbunny

#105 Post by bugsbunny »

cage47 wrote:I absolutely refuse to replace my working hardware. the past two days I was running back in PClinuxOS until the recent updates rendered my Radeon9800pro useless. And I have NEVER been a fan of KDE 4.x. I got 4.6 sort of working ok. but the latest updates there crapped it out. So I gave up. Pulled out my old Lenny install cd's (I have my entire system installable from 3 custom made cd's) and reverted to KDE3.5. And that is where it's going to stay. As long as I can manually update Firefox, Thunderbird and Libreoffice, I'm fine. And it'll stay there until something really impresses me. So far I've gone through 6 distros this week to get my system back to working condition with no go. So back I went.
Trinity Desktop Environment
About Trinity

This project aims to keep the KDE3.5 computing style alive, as well as polish off any rough edges that were present as of KDE 3.5.10. Along the way, new useful features will be added to keep the environment up-to-date.

Toward that end, significant new enhancements have already been made in areas such as display control, network connectivity, user authentication, and much more!

NOTE: This project is not an official continuation of KDE3.5 by KDE e.V., which will not be creating new releases of the KDE3 series. This is an independent fork using a largely separate developer community.
Trinity Desktop Environment - Installation Instructions
1. Add these lines to your /etc/apt/sources.list file:
For Squeeze:

Code: Select all

deb http://ppa.quickbuild.pearsoncomputing.net/trinity/trinity/debian squeeze main
deb-src http://ppa.quickbuild.pearsoncomputing.net/trinity/trinity/debian squeeze main
deb http://ppa.quickbuild.pearsoncomputing.net/trinity/trinity-builddeps/debian squeeze main
deb-src http://ppa.quickbuild.pearsoncomputing.net/trinity/trinity-builddeps/debian squeeze main
2. Add the GPG signing key:

# apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.quickbuild.pearsoncomputing.net --recv-keys 2B8638D0
3. Install KDE 3.5:

# apt-get update
# apt-get install desktop-base-trinity kde-trinity

Llewton

#106 Post by Llewton »

so nobody's using etoile, then :lol:
i don't know why i remembered that...

yeah i ran fluxbox, it's easier to configure simply because it's all plain text files. with openbox you have to deal with xml, that's pretty much it. FB is fine if a little primitive around the panel :D but that can be replaced.
xfce 4.8 is really looking good. i have it on my old notebook now.

@Deckard
i bet you if anyone run android on a nexus :D
on topic, re arch wiki, i don't know, i've found some useful info on more than one occasion, and also some rather obscure programs are covered that nobody else seems to care about..

Anzhr

#107 Post by Anzhr »

I've got a Nexus S with Android 3.2.4. So far, other than the Kindle and Google apps, I've been able to find pretty useful FLOSS apps.
Xfce, Wheezy

Llewton

#108 Post by Llewton »

^ yes, but are you typing from a tyrell corp computer :D

Anzhr

#109 Post by Anzhr »

No, Llewton. It's a Weyland-Yutani Bishop. I've got the back open.
Xfce, Wheezy

Llewton

#111 Post by Llewton »

Anzhr wrote:No, Llewton. It's a Weyland-Yutani Bishop. I've got the back open.
good grief, man.

Tadeas

#112 Post by Tadeas »

KDE 4.6 with xfwm4 instead of Kwin :)
Because let’s face it, the unfortunate aspect of software development is that it involves humans. Mewling, disorganized, miserably analog humans. Sometimes they smell bad.

dbbolton

#113 Post by dbbolton »

I am OUTRAGED that wmii wasn't one of the listed choices. Fortunately my main WM is OpenBox.

Again, for those who don't know about it, check out the Debian Popularity Contest for more detailed statistics.
GitHub | zsh docs in Letter PDF
Telemachus wrote:Put down the CGI.

ivanovnegro

#114 Post by ivanovnegro »

I see Xfce is growing rapidly to the top here. :D

luceerose

#115 Post by luceerose »

Didn't bother voting I would have needed 3 votes.

On multiple partitions on across 4 computers I have;
4x Gnome2
2x Gnome3
3x OpenBox

I love Gnome3, but for the moment the only way I have been able to run Gnome3 stable enough for every use was through OpenSUSE.
I pretty much hate OpenSUSE. My other Gnome3 install is under Fedora. It's a little twitchy.
And I have had nothing short of apocalyptic disasters trying Gnome3 with Sid.
Apart from a general state of disarray with the system utilities, gtk3 apps, etc, the only other annoyance I have with Gnome3 is having to re-append all my changes to the css file after every update.

I'm really hanging for Gnome3 to be usable with Sid. Until then, I've been experimenting with OpenBox to come up with something to replace Gnome2. As, I can't really see Gnome3 being up to scratch any time within the next year.

The fact that nobody has voted for Unity almost has me rolling around the floor with laughter.
:lol:
Linux 😎

rusty-sid

#116 Post by rusty-sid »

Until recently everyone, all three of us in my household were using Ubuntu. With the changes to unity we collectively decided that Ubuntu is heading in a direction we do not wish to follow. So now I am running Sid with Fluxbox. My roommates are using Xfce with one on stable and one on Sid.

renatov

#117 Post by renatov »

You forgot to include the best WM in the pool, fluxbox.
Xubuntu 14.04
Usuário #517613

rusty-sid

#118 Post by rusty-sid »

Agreed, wish I had known about fluxbox years ago

dasein

#119 Post by dasein »

rusty-sid wrote:Agreed, wish I had known about fluxbox years ago
+1

When I voted, I accurately reported that I was using KDE. But KDE is only getting worse with time, not better. When I found out that fluxbox supported tabbing windows (KDE's only "killer" feature, IMO), I immediately created a new install that was FB+fbpanel. I still find myself switching between them, but fluxbox is is definitely "growing" on me.

And with Version 5, Thunderbird no longer sucks as an email client, which is good, because KMail is broken for me in any KDE version above 4.5. I suspect I'll end up switching over completely.

Polaris96

#120 Post by Polaris96 »

I like e17

I use XCFE4 stock until I get sick of xfwm4's drama, at which point i revert to my 'set n forget' DE : XFCE4/Openbox There wasn't a choice for that, so I picked XFCE.

btw: Is there much difference between fluxbox and openbox?
for as long as the world remains. for as long as time remains. so, too, will I remain. To serve. To help. And to make my contribution. Also, never forget our family at debianuserforums.org If we can't solve your problem, they probably can.