Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[solved]: Atheros 8151 internet config

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
bugsbunny

Re: Atheros 8151 internet config [login solved]

#41 Post by bugsbunny »

Strange - there seems to be no reference at all to the ethernet card in there. Long shot, but what the heck. Make sure that you have the network card enabled in the BIOS.

I'm not sure what's going on at the moment. All I do know is that it appears the card isn't being seen, and I don't know why.

Technopenguin

#42 Post by Technopenguin »

Interesting that it wouldn't be enabled in the BIOS (acutally UEFI for me). One question though. It mentioned "TCP cubic registered", which seems internet related. TCP is mentioned a couple times elsewhere. Still no blatant message about ethernet.
I'm not sure about the UEFI idea, though. Parted magic was able to get the ethernet working. I'll check the UEFI anyway.

Technopenguin

#43 Post by Technopenguin »

South Bridge coniguration: Onboard LAN enabled.
If it's worth anything, the dmesg from parted magic:
http://pastebin.com/SMhirgtd

[Edit:] Did a find command for 'tcp' in my browser, I'm finding parts that are identical between the two. Difference is that there's no mention of 'RPC' in my dmesg.

Technopenguin

#44 Post by Technopenguin »

After a series of tests, I have come a to a possible solution: recompiling for the 2.6.38 kernel.
I tested various Linux distros: Arch, Slackware, Ubuntu, Parted Magic, and Tiny Core.
Debian had the oldest kernel: 2.6.32 No ethernet.
Tiny core and Arch have 2.6.33. No ethernet.
Slackware has 2.6.37. Not sure if ethernet is working, I'm not up to the level of Slackware. The installer seemed to have trouble finding a suitable module. However, the dmesg portions were very similar to parted magic: a mention of 'initialization for XFRM socket' is contained in dmesg for pmagic and slackware.
Parted magic and ubuntu, kernel 2.6.38. Both have working ethernet.
It's worth a shot.

bugsbunny

#45 Post by bugsbunny »

You'll find a newer kernel in backports

Technopenguin

Re: [solved]: Atheros 8151 internet config

#46 Post by Technopenguin »

Well, that takes care of everything.
Thank you very much for the help, 4D696B65, edbarx, and bugsbunny!

Tofszim

#47 Post by Tofszim »

Hi guys

I am having the same problem and i dont know what to do now. I have a desktop and i installed debian squeeze with an onboard gigabit card which it can not pick. Its an AR81Family-linux-v1.0.1.14.tar.gz driver. I have linux-image-2.6.32-5-amd64. I downloaded the driver and i can run "make" Help . Thank you

Technopenguin

#48 Post by Technopenguin »

Just wondering, are you aware that your source code is for the arl1e driver, for the AR8121/AR8113 hardware?

Code: Select all

sudo lspci -vv | grep -i ethernet
This will tell you which hardare you're using.

Did your compilation work? What output does the following give?

ls /lib/modules/<KERNEL VERSION>/kernel/drivers/net/
If you have good reason to believe that this driver will work, and the compilation was successful, it may have been compiled as a module, and you could see if

sudo modprobe arl1e
or

insmod arl1e
will work.

You could also try an alternative to your self-building solution:
It sounds like you just installed this on your computer? Using the backports link like me, you could try and see if 2.39 kernel works. It should automatically, atl1e should have been recognized during the installation, but for the 2.32 kernel, it didn't work for my atl1c driver. The installation iso for the 2.39 kernel worked, though. Perhaps something from this will work, it contains isos including the one I used (yours will be different, we don't have the same CPU architecture):
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unoff ... s/squeeze/

[EDIT]: I just read that wheezy is about to go stable, you might just want to download a wheezy iso instead, as it will have a newer kernel, and you wouldn't have to go and run a major update to move your squeeze install to wheezy, since it replaces squeeze stable, once it is stable as well.

Let me know if any of this helps!