Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Update in the Debian Mozilla Repository

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
emariz

Update in the Debian Mozilla Repository

#1 Post by emariz »

Prepare yourself for the upcoming changes on the mozilla.debian.net repository
Mike Hommey mh at glandium.org
Thu Jul 7 10:39:08 UTC 2011

With the upcoming changes in the beta and aurora channels (6.0 is going
to reach beta, and 7.0 to reach aurora), the mozilla.debian.net
repository is going to adapt, and drop versioned archives in favor of
channel archives. The channel archives for beta and aurora already
existed, however what is new is the “release” channel. Currently, that
channel contains Iceweasel 5.0, but as soon as 6.0 is released, that’s
what the “release” channel will contain.

To summarize, if you added lines containing iceweasel-x.0 where x is 4,
5, or 6 in your /etc/apt/sources.list, you need to update it to the
corresponding channel (don’t forget 4.0 is dead, you should use
“release” instead).

The iceweasel-5.0 and iceweasel-6.0 archives still exist at the moment
but will be dropped as soon as the new aurora and beta releases are
ready, which should be real soon now (only waiting for actual upstream
releases).

As a somehow related note, it should be noted that Iceweasel 5.0 should
(finally) enter Debian unstable on the 15th of July, at which point the
latest 6.0 beta will also be uploaded to Debian experimental. It is
still unclear how long it will take for Iceweasel 5.0 to reach Debian
testing/wheezy, because of all the reverse dependencies, but when that
happens, we’ll also be able to push it to backports.debian.org.

Mike
So, update your sources list.
When will they care about the language packs?

http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermai ... 10180.html
http://mozilla.debian.net/

bugsbunny

Re: Update in the Debian Mozilla Repository

#2 Post by bugsbunny »

emariz wrote: When will they care about the language packs?
See comments 2 and 3
glandium.org » Blog Archive » Prepare yourself for the upcoming changes on the mozilla.debian.net repository

emariz

#3 Post by emariz »

bugsbunny wrote:See comments 2 and 3
Gee, aptitude install intentions didn't work.
I find it contradictory that packaging only for i386 and amd64 favours the desktop, while ignoring localisation packages dismisses it.

rent0n

#4 Post by rent0n »

I like the update, it makes sense given the new Mozilla release policy.

I'm just wondering what happened to Icedove. 3.1 has been moved to Debian Backports and there's no sign of 5.0 anywhere.
Any hint?
Acer Aspire 5920 | Debian Squeeze | Xfce

sej7278

#5 Post by sej7278 »

rent0n wrote:I like the update, it makes sense given the new Mozilla release policy.

I'm just wondering what happened to Icedove. 3.1 has been moved to Debian Backports and there's no sign of 5.0 anywhere.
Any hint?
lol i saw this thread and got excited as i thought it was going to say thunderbird 5 was ready!

craigevil

#6 Post by craigevil »

Still easier to just download Firefox and Thunderbird from Mozilla if you want to stay updated.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

sej7278

#7 Post by sej7278 »

craigevil wrote:Still easier to just download Firefox and Thunderbird from Mozilla if you want to stay updated.
yes i'm thinking of doing that, gets rid of this debian naming crap then too - i can't even recognise the icons for iceweazel/icedove and whatever they call lightning.

is there any advantage of the debian packages over the tarball's from mozilla?

rent0n

#8 Post by rent0n »

sej7278 wrote:
craigevil wrote:Still easier to just download Firefox and Thunderbird from Mozilla if you want to stay updated.
yes i'm thinking of doing that, gets rid of this debian naming crap then too - i can't even recognise the icons for iceweazel/icedove and whatever they call lightning.

Yes, they get automatically updated. And that's a big plus.
I already have to manually update a couple of Java apps for computational biology and it reminds me the old Windows days.
Having a package manager and repositories for automatic updates of software is one of GNU/Linux biggest strengths, so I'll just stick to it, unless I need something that is not in the repos.

Usually the mozilla.debian.net repo is quite fast in updating new versions of packages, I don't know why there is this delay for Icedove 5.
Acer Aspire 5920 | Debian Squeeze | Xfce

sej7278

#9 Post by sej7278 »

rent0n wrote:Yes, they get automatically updated. And that's a big plus.
well it would be if they were updated - the mozilla guys aren't related to the centos guys are they? :mrgreen:

sgosnell

#10 Post by sgosnell »

Iceweasel 7.0 is already in the Mozilla Experimental repo, but Icedove is still 3.1. Makes little sense to me, but then I'm not in charge of anything.
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

ivanovnegro

#11 Post by ivanovnegro »

I second that even if it reminds me of the old Windows time.

bugsbunny

#12 Post by bugsbunny »

sgosnell wrote:Iceweasel 7.0 is already in the Mozilla Experimental repo, but Icedove is still 3.1. Makes little sense to me, but then I'm not in charge of anything.
The same person isn't the maintainer for the 2 programs. The iceweasel maintainer is a member of the firefox development team, so is very current on what's going on. I'm not sure about the icedove maintainer.

craigevil

#13 Post by craigevil »

bugsbunny wrote:
sgosnell wrote:Iceweasel 7.0 is already in the Mozilla Experimental repo, but Icedove is still 3.1. Makes little sense to me, but then I'm not in charge of anything.
The same person isn't the maintainer for the 2 programs. The iceweasel maintainer is a member of the firefox development team, so is very current on what's going on. I'm not sure about the icedove maintainer.
Correct, Icedove is maintained by totally different people, for more info see:
Debian Package Tracking System - icedove - http://packages.qa.debian.org/i/icedove.html
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

passthejoe

#14 Post by passthejoe »

craigevil wrote:Correct, Icedove is maintained by totally different people, for more info see:
Debian Package Tracking System - icedove - http://packages.qa.debian.org/i/icedove.html
Having Icedove exit http://mozilla.debian.net and enter Backports threw me for a bit. I already had Backports in my sources, so I had to remove my Icedove line that pointed to mozilla.debian.net to get the updates flowing again.

Like all, I'm waiting for Icedove 5.0. I'd also like a working Lightning for Icedove 3.1.x -- every time I try to add it, it kills Icedove until I start in safe mode and rip it out.
Debian Stable (mid-2011 iMac 27-inch, 2017 HP Envy 15)
GNOME 3

sgosnell

#15 Post by sgosnell »

Iceowl 1.0b2 for Icedove works for me.
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

sej7278

#16 Post by sej7278 »

passthejoe wrote:
craigevil wrote:Correct, Icedove is maintained by totally different people, for more info see:
Having Icedove exit http://mozilla.debian.net and enter Backports threw me for a bit. I already had Backports in my sources, so I had to remove my Icedove line that pointed to mozilla.debian.net to get the updates flowing again.

Like all, I'm waiting for Icedove 5.0. I'd also like a working Lightning for Icedove 3.1.x -- every time I try to add it, it kills Icedove until I start in safe mode and rip it out.
icedove is only in backports for squeeze, if you're on wheezy its still from mozilla, and iceowl 1.0b2-5 works with that, it seems its iceweasel thats in backports even for wheezy:

deb http://mozilla.debian.net/ squeeze-backports iceweasel-release
apt-get install -t squeeze-backports iceweasel

vs.

apt-get install icedove

Qew

#18 Post by Qew »

rent0n wrote:
sej7278 wrote: yes i'm thinking of doing that, gets rid of this debian naming crap then too - i can't even recognise the icons for iceweazel/icedove and whatever they call lightning.

Yes, they get automatically updated. And that's a big plus.
I already have to manually update a couple of Java apps for computational biology and it reminds me the old Windows days.
The tarball, once installed, does get automatically updated via its own updating system. You can turn notifications and updating off and install it "Windows" style if you want to, but by default it's set up to automatically install updates. Personally, I just use the tarball and let it get on with updating itself (naturally, with my OK after notification of the update). Still, it's good to know that in Debian there is a way to keep up with the rapid release system via apt.