Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

etch

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
tedux

etch

#1 Post by tedux »

anyone know if etch is getting closer to stable? Think it mite have the madwifi in the kernel? Atheos dirivers, I think.
Linux Hobbyist (End-User) Insprion 1000, 2.2celron, 512mb, SiS chipset, Debian GNU/Linux (Testing)

brain

#2 Post by brain »

Yes, it's getting closer.

Madwifi is not part of the Linux kernel yet, but Debian ships the source as a package for easy installation.

Tyler

#3 Post by Tyler »

The Atheros drivers are only available as binaries (ie. not free software), so will not be included in Debian main unless that should change. They are easily installed using the non-free repository, as part of the Madwifi package.

[edit]
Oh, you were probably asking about when etch would become the new stable, weren't you? That's scheduled for the end of 2006. I'll leave the rest of my comments in case they're helpful...[\edit]

As for Etch being stable... I've been running etch for a year or more, and I haven't had many problems. The only tricky bit was getting through the xfree to xorg transition, but I think that was more a case of trying to do it too early, before the bugs got worked out. My most recent (this september) installation was no problem at all, and by now you get xorg right from the start.

Also, since I'm using fluxbox I don't get any of the problems associated with upgrading humongous packages like the KDE suite.

The main thing I've learned is to upgrade often, but not too often. If you see that an upgrade is going to break packages that's usually a good sign to hold off for a few days to see if the problem is resolved by the developers. Usually it is. If you wait too long between updates, you get a massive download and should anything go wrong you'll have a hard time figuring out where the problem came from. However, as I said above the only real issue I had concerned the xfree - xorg switch, which is now behind us.

Cheers,

Tyler
Lenny & fluxbox
Thinkpad R60

tedux

#4 Post by tedux »

Tyler wrote:The Atheros drivers are only available as binaries (ie. not free software), so will not be included in Debian main unless that should change. They are easily installed using the non-free repository, as part of the Madwifi package.

Cheers,

Tyler
I have tried the non-free and hosed my system. it wanted to uninstall the kernel. I knew that didn't sound like a good thing and it told me its not a good thing. but I did it anyway. said everything was successful but never booted again. I am still green with kernel modulers, don't find it so easy. but i am reading a learn linux book.

I could not get etch to load yet, I'm using sarge.
thanks for the info
Linux Hobbyist (End-User) Insprion 1000, 2.2celron, 512mb, SiS chipset, Debian GNU/Linux (Testing)

Tyler

#5 Post by Tyler »

That's not good!

When you feel like trying again the info you need is here:

http://madwifi.org/wiki/UserDocs/Distro/Debian/MadWifi

I don't know anything about kernel moduels, but this website provides step-by-step instructions for people like me.

If you can't get Etch to run at all, that's a different issue...

HTH,

Tyler
Lenny & fluxbox
Thinkpad R60

tedux

#6 Post by tedux »

thats the direction I used that hosed it. I will have to try again but not for a while. sarge is running laptop really good no wifi but it runs good.

I did try 2 two times, after reload sarge don't feel like doing it for now.
I wonder why it removes the kernel? I figured it would build and install a new one but nope. I guess I just have to figure out what to do after the

$ su
# apt-get update
# apt-get install madwifi-source
# apt-get install madwifi-tools
# m-a prepare
# m-a a-i madwifi

is over.

I think I used the net install download. I think I'll wait for stable, down loading CentOS right now

I will try again thanks tyler

Tyler

#7 Post by Tyler »

hmm. I also needed gcc-4.0. After that, there's only one more step that you didn't do:

m-a prepare
m-a a-i madwifi
modprobe ath_pci

Once that's done I use a couple of bash scripts to get my connection:

For my home connection:

#! /bin/bash
iwconfig ath0 key <your_encryption_key_here>
dhclient ath0

For unencrypted connections:

#! /bin/bash
ifconfig ath0 up
iwconfig ath0 ap any
dhclient ath0

I posted the full details for my setup here

I understand you won't want to hose your system again soon, but let us know how it goes when you do get around to it!

HTH,

Tyler
Lenny & fluxbox
Thinkpad R60

tedux

#8 Post by tedux »

Funny Centos runs good no wifi, at least not the card I have. foresight had the madwifi drivers, worked my wireless, ran ok, but the courser jumps around while typing, like it has a mind of its own, sometime I think some of these distros connect you to there pc and they have a good old time messing with me. I am going to try buffalo, shift, and rpath. If they don't work my laptop out of the box, (still having a hard time loading modulers) I download the etch iso debian installer cd. I'll just put it on and skip the wifi. debian ran the laptop good and quick. I miss sarge. If I had any bandwith left I load etch now.