Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

GNU/freeBSD and WiFi

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
sqlpython

GNU/freeBSD and WiFi

#1 Post by sqlpython »

I thought I would try a Laptop install on a Lenovo SL410 of GNU/kFreebsd 8.1.xx 2/6/11
Being a Laptop I want the Wifi to work ..
5:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 5100 AGN [Shiloh] Network Connection

Has anyone in these forums tried a GNU/kFreeBSD install and gotten the Wifi to work?
I did a Forum search..

Oct 2010 there was this noted BUG of the Wifi not working..
GNU/kfreebsd Bug #601803

Manual configs will not be a problem for me but an unresolved BUG will be and I can't seem to find if this has been Squashed.
If there has been recent success of the above install with a Working Wifi I am interested in seeing how ot all comes together.

Thanks for reading anyone familar with the above issue, Updates or solutions I would appreciate the info..
I will also be posting this to Debian, kfreebsd mailling lists, PCBsd... hopefully someone will have had an experience with kfreebsd 8.1.x and Wifi.
My purpose is to avoid an Install that will not yield a Wifi after all is done.
Criticism accepted for solutions that work! ;^)

ProgVal

Re: GNU/freeBSD and WiFi

#2 Post by ProgVal »

Same problem here. :/

ProgVal

#3 Post by ProgVal »

Any news ?

vbrummond

#4 Post by vbrummond »

There is a known limitation for using wifi under Debian Gnu/KFreeBSD. By all accounts I think it was fixed by now. Try installing wireless tools or network-manager. If it is not fixed with Debian updates then you will probably have to use sid (and Xorg is broken there).
Always on Debian Testing