Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

installing knoppix?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
denise

installing knoppix?

#1 Post by denise »

I think I'm going to ask a real newbee question, but I'm going to ask it anyway:

Since knoppix is a live-CD distribution how is it possible that people install it on HD?
I tought that when I live-CD is used the HD only stores temporary data and when the live-CD is taken out and the computer is rebooted, the HD doesn't contain any data on the live-CD distribution any more.

TIA

lacek

#2 Post by lacek »

Yes, live-CD distributons doesn't use HD at all; however, Knoppix can be asked to 'install' itself to the hard disk. This usually means creating a partition with an ext3 filesystem, copy all files from the Knoppix CD to the filesystem, and make the partition bootable. Really simple to do, if someone doesn't want to bother with a long and (somewhat more) difficult Linux install.
See this link about installing Knoppix.

denise

#3 Post by denise »

I was curious because it didn't seem logical to me.
Thanks for you explination.