Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian Squeeze: No Sound

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
basilio

Re: Debian Squeeze: No Sound

#41 Post by basilio »

Got the same problem with no sound on my new Acer notebook. Some solutions from this thread were too complicated for me, others didn`t work exept the one - do as root in console alsactl init, and after that sound is ok. But I din't want to do that after every power off. So I put the string (alsactl init) in /etc/rc.local. It works for me. And maybe this is the less complicated way to get the thing done not just for me. At least no need to recompile anything.

I hope I will put that line out of my /etc/rc.local after next ALSA update...

Peace.

polymath

#42 Post by polymath »

I had no sound when I initially installed Squeeze. The sound hardware was not detected and I think the problem was missing firmware.

I compiled the kernel from source with the config-2.6.32-5-amd64 that came in linux-image-2.6.32-5-amd64. After I installed the two resulting packages (linux-image-2.6.32 and linux-firmware-2.6.32) the sound worked fine. It dawned on me that there were two packages as opposed to one in previous versions. I purged those packages and reinstalled the stock image and firmware-linux.

It's possible that the sound is still working because the packages I installed were not fully purged. Someone please confirm that installing firmware-linux solves this issue. Note that if you excluded non-free packages when configuring your package sources, your hardware may still not work if it requires non-free firmware. [Debian splits the firmware into two packages (firmware-linux-free and firmware-linux-nonfree)]

tuxracer

#43 Post by tuxracer »

I had no sound until I enabled one of the audio channels, the 'analog/digital output jack.' I had to check a box. Might not help but I would check that. However, if you have compiled and added/removed stuff, it might not apply now.

deuxcroix

#44 Post by deuxcroix »

Hi guys, I sadly mst say none of the solutions given worked for me.
My on board sound chip is broken, so I installed a USB sound card, which I prefer not to change.
The USB sound card is listed in alsamixer, Gnome mixer, and wherever it may be, for I am certain the system knows about it.
I still cannot hear any sound, and my alsamixer's PCM volume meter is set at its maximum of -0.06. THIS is odd in the first place.

Let's take a look at the outputs:

Code: Select all

lspci | grep audio
00:1e.2 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 01)

lsusb | grep audio
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 0c76:1607 JMTek, LLC. audio controller

cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [ICH7           ]: ICH4 - Intel ICH7
                      Intel ICH7 with ALC850 at irq 17
 1 [Set            ]: USB-Audio - USB Headphone Set
                      USB Headphone Set at usb-0000:00:1d.1-1, full speed

uname -a
Linux phobos 2.6.32-5-686 #1 SMP Wed Jan 12 04:01:41 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux
UPDATE: I got my sound working after installing caps, but flashplayer is the only one getting it done, in google-chrome.
Sound card still selectable and adjustable from volume control applet, but no other output.

grege

#45 Post by grege »

The problem is that your USB audio is the second sound card and most software will default to the first unless you fiddle.

Simplest solution is to go into you BIOS and disable the onboard sound, so that there is only one sound card in the system

Your onboard sound should work however .......

http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Intel8x0

Always install Gnome-Alsamixer, many problems can be solved simply by systematically muting and unmuting all the parts of the system. Digital out is always a prime offender.

good luck

mosesx

#46 Post by mosesx »

deuxcroix wrote:Hi guys, I sadly mst say none of the solutions given worked for me.
My on board sound chip is broken, so I installed a USB sound card, which I prefer not to change.
The USB sound card is listed in alsamixer, Gnome mixer, and wherever it may be, for I am certain the system knows about it.
I still cannot hear any sound, and my alsamixer's PCM volume meter is set at its maximum of -0.06. THIS is odd in the first place.
Had the same problem, my Solution is from:http://gstreamer-devel.966125.n4.nabble ... 77658.html

So actually gnome provides to set the default audio sink through the gstreamer-properties (which was/is (?) usually located under System>>Preferences>>Multimedia but is not there in Squeeze. You can call it from the command line.

$ gstreamer-properties
Select your alsa as plugin and your usb-sound card as device. This will change the gconf key "audiosink". According to the thread mentioned Rhythmbox/totem/... will ignore that setting and use "musicaudiosink" instead which is not set by gstreamer-properties.

To adjust that open gconf (applications>>System Tools>>Configuration Editor) and under
system>>gstreamer>>0.10>>default
copy the value from "audiosink" (which was adjusted by gstreamer-properties) to "musicaudiosink".

Worked like a charme for me. There also is a bug report: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=598314

deuxcroix

#47 Post by deuxcroix »

Thank you @mosesx for the tip!

It worked well for me.
The problem I have now is with the concurrent access to sound card. It seems I can't have two audio outputs at the same time. And it is quite annoying.
I found somewhere a post about concurrency and /dev/dsp, I willl return and post if something goes well.
Do this problem applies for you, too?

mosesx

#48 Post by mosesx »

The problem I have now is with the concurrent access to sound card. It seems I can't have two audio outputs at the same time. And it is quite annoying.
I found somewhere a post about concurrency and /dev/dsp, I willl return and post if something goes well.
Do this problem applies for you, too?
Yep. It's weird however, everything worked fine under Lenny. I would say it's not the right audiosink yet. My lenny entry in gconf for "musicaudiosink" was

halaudiosink udi=/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_ccd_77_noserial_if0_alsa_playback_0

That however does not work anymore.

mosesx

#49 Post by mosesx »

Found this:
http://ptspts.blogspot.com/2009/03/how- ... -have.html

The first two paragraphs did it for me:
Use

aplay -l | awk '/^card/{print$3}'|sort|uniq

in a terminal to find out the name of your usb sound device. As I realized this hw:1,0, or better the number assigned to the sound card can change from reboot to reboot but the name does not.

Than for global setting put

defaults.pcm.!card Headset
defaults.ctl.!card Headset
defaults.pcm.!device 0
defaults.ctl.!device 0
into /etc/asound.conf. Replace Headset by the name of your soundcard, in my case U0xcc0x77.

Than I reverted the changes in gconf and set all keys containing audiosink to autodetect. And you have to restart alsa by

/etc/init.d/alsa-utils restart
or restart the computer.

Now all gnome programs use the usb and mixing works. Hope that helps.

Short and useless general complain: Why is there now way to set the default soundcard via gnome-sound-properties as it used to be?

greyowl

#50 Post by greyowl »

Penguin Skinner wrote:Try running 'alsactl init' (and BTW don't be surprised if it returns some kind of error message saying it can't identify your card and is guessing at the settings; it guess pretty good. :) )
Thank you! this made my sound work using vlc media player. Im using debian squeeze on emachine em350 intel atom450

lspci | grep -i audio
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)

lsmod | grep snd
snd_hda_codec_realtek 163294 1
snd_hda_intel 16811 1
snd_hda_codec 46002 2 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel
snd_hwdep 4054 1 snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm 47226 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
snd_seq 35463 0
snd_timer 12258 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device 3673 1 snd_seq
snd 34375 10 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hwdep,snd_pcm,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
soundcore 3450 1 snd
snd_page_alloc 5045 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm

alsactl init
Unknown hardware: "HDA-Intel" "Realtek ALC272" "HDA:10ec0272,10250349,00100001" "0x1025" "0x0349"
Hardware is initialized using a guess method

Arkhos

#51 Post by Arkhos »

ironcitadel wrote:I believe the problem is with pulseaudio and not alsa. I noticed that the sound was totally muted each time I logged in to Gnome. I googled around a bit for an answer and found something that works for me. In the file /etc/pulse/default.pa I commented out the line "load-module module-console-kit", rebooted and the system sounds started playing.
Thanks this solved my problem. My new issue now is to make the sound noise less while using skype. Any ideas on this one? or how to make skype communication better?

Thanks.

Arkhos

#52 Post by Arkhos »

I just lost my sound again while using Rhythmbox. Any clear solution???

PLS. HELP!!!!!!!

:)

Arkhos

#53 Post by Arkhos »

Arkhos wrote:I just lost my sound again while using Rhythmbox. Any clear solution???

PLS. HELP!!!!!!!

:)
I finally solved my problem by just uninstalling pulseaudio and set my gstreamer-properties to ALSA with this setup it removed the noise heard while using SKYPE on MIC.
I hope this would last and be stable enough to not revisit the problem again.

Thanks.

abozhilov

#54 Post by abozhilov »

I had the same problem as many of you.
Someone was wrote that if I delete the `.` dirs in my home directory it will solve the problem. As he was wrote it solved the problem, but it's not very elegant solution.
I solved the problem in a little bit different way.

fuser -km /dev/snd 

I run as root and after restart I had sound. Probably I think it's a little bit safe if I kill only users processes, but I haven't tried yet.

Hope this helps.

paivakil

#55 Post by paivakil »

Wild guess - for those complaining of no sound after an upgrade:-

Applications like vlc and totem (other xine based applications too) store device data in respective configuration files in users home directory. Probably, moving away the configuration files and restarting the applications may help.
It's not the software that's free; it's you.

OldMicro

Re: Debian Squeeze: No Sound - Solved

#56 Post by OldMicro »

I was having sound problems after upgrading Google-Chrome.
I am running Squeeze with Xfce on an old vprMatrix computer. I noticed Alsa mixer in the menu and set all the controls to max, but no change. Then I went to the Aumix terminal version and set pcm and pcm2 to max and I have plenty of volume. I hope this will help others.

Polaris96

#57 Post by Polaris96 »

did anyone actually find a resolution for the

root@Polaris:# alsactl init
alsactl: parse:1655: Unable to open file '/usr/share/alsa/init/ca0106': No such file or directory
issue?

EVERYTHING is scrambled, now. sound hasn't worked in ages and I've been using the motherboard audio for playback, but i can't get the mic channel to feed anything except alsamixer.

I'm going nuts, here. i really loathe multimedia issues, and Alsa's documentation is god awful!

btw. I doubt it's kde or pulseaudio. i have neither.
for as long as the world remains. for as long as time remains. so, too, will I remain. To serve. To help. And to make my contribution. Also, never forget our family at debianuserforums.org If we can't solve your problem, they probably can.

brenden1096

#58 Post by brenden1096 »

I had this issue on my laptop. I tried almost everything trying to figure out what was wrong. Use the kernel from backports.

deb http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports squeeze-backports main
Install the kernel from backports and that hopefully will fix the issue. :p

thoronaug

#59 Post by thoronaug »

I finally found the problem with the sound in a fresh Debian Squeeze and I want to share because could help some people here.

I've recently bought a little nettop and after installing Squeeze I realized sound wasn't working. I've searched on google for hours, and read several threads in several forums. Finally, a simple command gave me the solution: lspci.

root@debianVantDomo:~# lspci|grep -i audio
00:01.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc Device 1314
00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) (rev 40)
I have two audio devices. Further investigation lead me to know first of them is an HDMI audio interface and the other is the audio card I wanted to use. The problem is Debian takes first of them as default sound device.
We can easily change the system default sound device creating (if is not present) or editing /etc/asound.conf (or ~/.asoundrc) with the following line:

pcm.!default front:<name>
where <name> is the name of the card you want to use.

You can get card names using:

aplay -l | awk '/^card/{print$3}'|sort|uniq
or more complete information :

aplay -l
Then, restart the system and it's done!
I hope this will be helpful.

jack520

#60 Post by jack520 »

bmc5311 wrote:squeeze - amd64 2.6.30-1
- gnome

had all the same problem as most of you today.
i tried all of the suggestions in this thread, no joy.

here's what i did
- i had amarok installed
- apt-get autoremove amarok
- logged out and logged back in again and my sound was back to normal.
is kde the culprit? i only run a few kde apps, k3b and k9 copy, was giving amarok a try because songbird has been broken since i upgraded to squeeze.
i'm not smart enough to know why it worked.... hopefully it'll provide another piece of the puzzle for one of you smart folks :D
thinkpad x200 /testing amd64/openbox
optiplex 755 /testing amd64/openbox

http://www.debianuserforums.org/Coach Purses
I am a new here ,look forward to make more friends here ,thank you.