Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

how to increase font of content in a gtk-window ?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
shirish

how to increase font of content in a gtk-window ?

#1 Post by shirish »

Hi all,
Does anybody know how to increase the font-size of an arbitary gtk-window. The thing is I use apt-listchanges which shows the changes between two releases of a software package. The changes come in a separate gtk-window.

I want to increase this font-size and the news when we are reading the changes between, the client in-between and a shared computing environment.

Looking forward to apgupta29 for a prompt feedback.
Intel Dual-Core CPU E5400 (soc 775) @ 2.70GHz, onboard Intel G33, Asus MB P5KPL-AM IN (Intel G31), D-Link 2750u modem+router, 64-bit Debian Testing, Mate 1.26

62chevy

Re: how to increase font of content in a gtk-window ?

#2 Post by 62chevy »

Code: Select all

ENVIRONMENT
       APT_LISTCHANGES_FRONTEND
                 Frontend to use

BROWSER   Used by the browser frontend, should be set to a command expecting a file: URL for an HTML file to display.

FILES
       /etc/apt/listchanges.conf
                 Configuration file.  Most options have the same names as command-line options, with hyphens translated to underscores.

Example configuration file

[cmdline]
       frontend=pager

[apt]
       frontend=xterm-pager
       email_address=root
       confirm=1

[custom]
       frontend=browser
       browser=mozilla

The  above configuration file specifies that in command-line mode, the default frontend should be "pager".  In apt mode, the xterm-pager
                 frontend is default, a copy of the changelogs (if any) should be emailed to root, and apt-listchanges should ask for  confirmation.   If
                 apt-listchanges is invoked with --profile=custom, the browser frontend will be used, and invoke mozilla.

/var/lib/apt/listchanges.db
                 Database used for save-seen

AUTHOR
       apt-listchanges was written by Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org>

SEE ALSO
       apt.conf(5)
change your config file. See man apt-listchanges for details.
Debian Buster

shirish

#3 Post by shirish »

62 chevy,
The ..conf seems to be pretty sparse. This is what is in my apt-listchanges.conf file.

/etc/apt$ cat listchanges.conf
[apt]
frontend=gtk
email_address=root
confirm=1
save_seen=/var/lib/apt/listchanges.db
which=both
My issue is that the font-size of the content which appears in frontend-gtk is too small to read, my query is how to make it bigger?

It probably has a setting somewhere in gconf-editor but don't know where. Looking within gconf-editor it seems it might be :-

/ > desktop > font-rendering

these are the four values given :-

antiliasing = grayscale
dpi = no value
hinting = medium
rgba order = rgb
There probably needs to be some value in the dpi but what have no idea. There are different types of values I can edit for that key, integer, boolean, String, float, list. It probably would be integer but do not know what.

In essence I'm looking for something similar to how we have font-size that can be changed within say iceweasel . See iceweasel > preferences > Content and see Fonts and the default size mentioned therein and the ability to change minimum size.

It would be nice/great if there is something similar for gtk content windows as well.

Looking forward for a solution.
Intel Dual-Core CPU E5400 (soc 775) @ 2.70GHz, onboard Intel G33, Asus MB P5KPL-AM IN (Intel G31), D-Link 2750u modem+router, 64-bit Debian Testing, Mate 1.26

62chevy

#4 Post by 62chevy »

The above configuration file specifies that in command-line mode, the default frontend should be "pager". In apt mode, the xterm-pager
frontend is default, a copy of the changelogs (if any) should be emailed to root, and apt-listchanges should ask for confirmation. If
apt-listchanges is invoked with --profile=custom, the browser frontend will be used, and invoke mozilla.
Back-up your config file (mine has the same stuff) and add the one in the code section from my previous post. You may need to change the name of the browser to the one you use. then ' apt-listchanges --profile=custom <packagename> '.

Or just change the line that reads ' frontend=gtk ' to ' frontend=pager ' and that will bring less up instead of gtk if you are using the command line.
Debian Buster

shirish

#5 Post by shirish »

That is a workaround to use mozilla instead of gtk. While it could be a good option it would be so much better if this could be done within gtk itself. This way you do not have to open a browser. Also there are number of tabs which I keep open when surfing so not good :(